Non airsoft motors - why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non airsoft motors - why not?

Is there anyone out there who has used a non airsoft motor? For example to replace the TM Famas f1 motor which is a bit weak to pull a decent sized spring?

I've had a good look and am feeling well prepared: have found one with good performance and the right dimensions on an R/C site, read guides on how to file the shaft to fit the pinion gear etc... but wouldn't mind hearing from someone who has actually done this in order to fit it into an airsoft gun. It'd be especially superb if there's anyone out there who's actually done it for a famas.

Haven't done it but no reason you couldn't. Sellers label stuff as airsoft specific because most people are too dumb to look around.
    Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express Pro
    King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
    https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
    www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Re: Non airsoft motors - why not?

Originally posted by crasstoe View Post
      Haven't done it but no reason you couldn't. Sellers label stuff as airsoft specific because most people are too dumb to look around.
      Didn't want to out and say it but yeah, the prices are pretty mind blowing. Non airsoft motor will cost less than the airsoft pinion gear I will have to fit!

Comment

Let us know how you get on! Its one area i've not really looked at for getting an alternative to "airsoft branded" stuff (batteries and wire spring to mind here) - I've always suspected that they are probably far cheaper than airsoft ones though lol. Especially PTW motors.
        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

This is the kind of thing I love so please keep us informed.
          Iv done the same sort of thing with other hobbies where you can save loads on stuff thats way over priced just because its labled for "insert hobby"

Si

Comment

Searching for tips on the famas found this old thread. Thought I'd do everyone the courtesy of saying whats happened since then.

Basically didn't go any further with it. Came to realise that the stock motor is quite enough to pull an m100 and give me 340fps, and this took the impetus right out of it.

Still think the idea has legs, so if anyone want the torch passed to them feel free. I may have another look at it as I do like a project, but for now I have a bit too much life getting in the way.

Comment

Motors designed for guns will often have more torque than other types, and are set up for the gearbox restraints of the gearing (most gearboxes having 3 main gears, those that don't use other motor types (PTW, AEP)) and also for the voltages we use (8.4v etc).

That's not to say it wouldn't work, but it certainly wouldn't be designed for it, and it may fail more often than a regular one, making it not so cost effective.

Comment

FYI with mods a famas will take a short motor, IIRC needs a short shaft motor cage to make it work
                trading WE M16A1 for CYMA or RS SVD with PSOP
                http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...ting-trades%29

Comment

The Famas motor is smaller in diameter than others but it is more than capable of pulling a 120 spring.

Airsoft motors are nothing special, a fair amount of them are pretty p1sspoor in comparison to other motor heavy hobbies.
                  RC car motors are bigger sadly but are very very tuneable.
                  A high torque RC motor is twice as torquey as the highest torque Airsoft motor.
                  The hi speed ones make ours look slow.
                  I have one sat in a cougar2 works edition RC buggy (cougar 2 was released about 94), the motor is near 20 years old and has a top rpm of 41000 with a 7.2 volt pack.

Afraid to say, yet again Airsoft technology is soooo far behind the curve its unreal.
                  Overpriced to boot.
                  section 24 of the 1968 Act
                  Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                  1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                  2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage View Post
                    Motors designed for guns will often have more torque than other types, and are set up for the gearbox restraints of the gearing (most gearboxes having 3 main gears, those that don't use other motor types (PTW, AEP)) and also for the voltages we use (8.4v etc).

That's not to say it wouldn't work, but it certainly wouldn't be designed for it, and it may fail more often than a regular one, making it not so cost effective.
                    With a hobby motor you can select the torque you want by buying a motor with a different number of turns. The voltages we use are the same as 99% of model car/ planes etc.
                    Buy my stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Phatvortex View Post
                      With a hobby motor you can select the torque you want by buying a motor with a different number of turns. The voltages we use are the same as 99% of model car/ planes etc.
                      Most RC hobbiests a few years ago used to have custom wound motors or even do it themselves.
                      I had at one point 10 different motors to use dependent on track type.
                      They were all 'Pro modified' or 'super modified' class motors.
                      The super mod was the best money could buy and was only slightly more expensive than an 'Ultimate' airsoft motor.
                      Pro mod motors were normally anything from 45-75 quid and far superior to anything airsoft wise.
                      Still makes me chuckle how much a PTW motor is, its a flat type drill motor ffs, only badly made.
                      1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                      2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Makita replacement motors are good replacements
                        King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
                        www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

HAHA, I was gonna use a Mikita drill motor as an example actually.
                          My old Makita drill, 15 years old, battery operated uses a flat motor in it, still cost 120 quid for a drill and 2 batteries with charger, so less than a Systema brand motor.

Comment

Originally posted by seansamurai1 View Post
                            HAHA, I was gonna use a Mikita drill motor as an example actually.
                            My old Makita drill, 15 years old, battery operated uses a flat motor in it, still cost 120 quid for a drill and 2 batteries with charger, so less than a Systema brand motor.
                            Yet people still pay it.

I can't understand it now, maybe 4-5 years ago when PTWs were the best thing since sliced bread, but now they're just a bit meh! Yet the prices stay the same, ditto the technology!
                            Buy my stuff!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Figjam Find out more about Figjam
                            Working...
                            X