X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make my AEG Quieter

Hi all,

Im looking for advice.

I have a very noisy, comletely standard and brand new JG Styer AUG.

What I want in an ideal world is complete silence, but I doubt thats possible.

I have been told that silent piston heads and cylinders are "as much use as a chocolate teapot" and that the only way to make it any quieter is to fill the body with "stuff".

I have read on here about people having gears balanced? Pistons and cylinders replaced, special motors fitted and stuff

I also want to increase the ROF and reduce trigger lag and up the FPS to 350 (Currently more like 200)

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: How do I make my AEG Quieter

well, i have a jg aug, and it is very, very quiet. fill the stock around the gearbox with a flame resistant material, a silent pistol head and cylinder head WILL help a lot.

i use an external battery bag with a 9.6v battery in mine, and theres NO trigger latency, and the rof is immense. fit a tm eg100 motor, it always helps.

Comment

Thanks Destroyer,

When you say flame resistant material, what would you recomend?
      any idea what dinomat is?

Comment

its not dinomat. DYNAMAT. its a sound proofing material, readily available at halfords. about 15 a roll, and thats enough to do 20 AUGS!!!!

its foil coated, so good for heat too.

its thin profile makes it ideal for this kinda thing.

Comment

Agreed, the Silent head sets do not make that much of a difference, certainly not at site friendly limits, you would see more of a difference at 450fps+ in comparison with the non tapered sets.

You can use sorbothane padding on the piston and cylinder heads which does tend to work very well as far as dampening muzzle report is concerned, i have found that some grades of felt are better but far less durable, it made the muzzle report far quieter than the silencer on its own, and you can imagine what it would be like with the two paired.

Putting the FPS up by spring rate is going to make more noise than the stock spring regardless of what you do to dampen the sound out.

Fitting an air break to the piston head is also an option, much like the ones that tend to come with some aftermarket BAR pistons, the same concept is effective when tried on aegs, but it would require fine tuning to ensure that it does not seriously affect the piston assembly return time, i don't think it would be practical with plans to increase rate of fire, but it is an option that works if you would rather take it to the extreme.

The quietest gears are helical cut, and use thicker grease, Guarders Teflon grease is fairly thick and works quite well, from both you would be looking at decreased efficiency, but its a trade out for quieter operation. High speed gears/low ratio gears would be better due to the decrease motor rotations per sector cycle, and taking it to the extreme a motor that doesn't struggle along with a higher voltage/drain battery to reduce cycle times and thus ROF.

The AUG is a very good base for such plan as it has plenty of spacing around the gearbox to cram in acoustic dampening padding such as dynamat or sorbothane, thats something else that works very well when done properly, and using thin layers of electrical tape on areas in contact with the receiver to dampen the vibrations that would normally be transferred, and of course with the gearbox being right next to your ear with the aug you will appreciate it.

Other tips, cylinder to barrel volume air balance - but at the cost of muzzle energy efficiency.
          * Reducing the usable cylinder volume would reduce the excess exhaust pressure at the muzzle, effectively removing the "pop" to some degree.
          * And or use heavier bbs.
          dsgdreamteam

Comment

a really cheap and effective way to make your gun quieter is fill up spaces with bubble wrap, as long as its not wrapped around the motor you should be sound. If you mix filling the body space with material such as bubble wrap and then add a silent piston/head/cylinder then it will indeed be very quiet.
            As has already been said a larger voltage battery will do a little to your trigger response. If you want to make your trigger response faster then you will have to add a mosfet to your trigger mech.

Comment

And give it a damn good shim job.

Comment

adding a bigger battery doesnt affect trigger response.

ARE YOU INSANE!!!

Comment

I just bought a JG Aug to, and at first i thought "Bloody hell this is loud", but it turned out that it sounded Very loud when looking down the sights, but if you stood 5 metres away it was quieter than any of my other guns.....

Comment

I've always wanted my guns LOUDER! :D

Comment

Right guys,

Thanks for all the advice.

So can I sum this up as:

Helical cut gears with Thick Grease
                      Shim job (I'm sure the shop will know what to do)
                      and go get a roll of Dynamat from Halfords for inside and add a silencer to the end of barrel

Also add a big battery for the ROF and trigger lag. (Was kinda thinking that anyway)

Have I missed anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                        I've always wanted my guns LOUDER! :D
                        I like sneaking up on badguys and picking them off quietly with single shots.

Comment

umm..... make sure you get a hi mah 9.6v battery.

my one happily (kinda) runs off a 10.8, but wouldnt reccomend it for prolonged reliability

Comment

no joe not with your style mate . hehe

Comment

I did forget to mention that the helical gears will be the most expensive with the least effect, either way what ever the type of gears used, a good shim job will determine battery efficiency and the mechanical noise produced, helical gears are just that bit quieter, you could still use thicker grease with the spur cut gears. The sorbo or dynamat padding around the gearbox and in hollow spaces would have more effect alone than the helical gears them selves, its really a matter of how mush custom work you are capable of doing and how much you are willing to spend.

It depends on what section of the noise you hate the most, if it is the muzzle report, the cheapest and most effective way to tackle that would be sorbothane pads or some other dampener for the Piston and or Cylinder head + the use of a silencer.

I picked up a tub of pre-cut felt rings for a quid at a local shop, there was maybe 50 in there maybe a few different sizes, but they were far more effective than Systemas sets for the tiniest fraction of the price, admittedly they weren't going to be as durable, but they lasted a good few thousand rounds a pop (SP110 spring used), which was good enough in testing.

I have found that the majority of noise produced with most clones is down to poor shimming and too high a spring rate, the shims are an easy fix, and often with a new o-ring(s) and a decent clean up and re grease better air seal can be achieved and therefore better efficiency with lower rated springs and gain more FPS without the extra noise and stress produced on other parts.
                              dsgdreamteam

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mike C Find out more about Mike C
                              Working...
                              X