Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

About to start an M4/M16 build and need advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to start an M4/M16 build and need advice...

Hi,

I'm about to start an Armalite build, and I plan to replace the stock, handguard, grip (with Magpul parts), and possibly extend the barrel if I start with an M4. I also plan to replace some gear box internals with a tune up kit + a new bucking and a TK Twist Barrel (100% set on the TK Twist).

I was thinking of buying cheap Boy/Alien Airsoft/E&C (maybe JG if I can get my hands on one) as the base, OR, I would just buy a receiver and motor, and go from there. I'm just worried that when building the rifle from scratch will result in me missing pieces, or the wrong ones etc.

Most parts etc will be imported (possibly the base rifle, also).

I'm not incredibly experienced with AEG's, so any help and advice would be great.

At the moment, hypothetically I was thinking something like:
    -JG M4
    -Element tune up kit
    -POSSIBLY a new plastic hop up unit
    -Guarder Clear Bucking
    -TK Twist Barrel
    -Magpul hand guard, stock, grip
    -Li-po and mosfet

Thanks very much,

mj23lj
    Trader Feedback:
    New Forum: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5557
    Old Forum: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?9461-mj23lj

Re: About to start an M4/M16 build and need advice...

Why are you building one from scratch? From the parts you have listed, your not building anything special at all, but buying all the parts individually could cost you more. Why not just buy a complete M4/M16 and change the parts you want to change (barrel, Magpul parts)

What Mosfet are you looking at as well? The other parts you have listed are again, all OK, and possibly better than some stock parts, but are not the best on the market.
    sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

My OP suggests 2 options; 1 - build from scratch, and 2 - buy a base rifle as you have suggested. I would like to buy a fairly cheap base rifle (something a little longer in barrel length than the typical M4), could you suggest 5 mid range companies sich as JG or G&G that are viable options?

I haven't decided on a Mosfet yet. Haven't spent much time on it as it is something I'll look into last. Will be trying to go fairly budget, but possibly something that has a 3 round burst mode. Can you suggest any?

Thanks!
      Trader Feedback:

Comment

Buy a decent second hand rifle that meets your needs s close as possible, then rip into it replacing the things you REALLY want. You'll have a much more solid gun at the end of it, and it won't have cost you as much.
        Originally posted by Walter Gropius
        If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

You are basically after a G&P magpul m4. Readily available and would perform just as good, probably better than the build you have stated. No point in building from scratch unless you want mtp build a specific model which ain't available. I built a LaRue 5.56 marksmans rifle which was literally every but and bolt. Was a stunning rifle and as far as I'm aware the only one to have been built. An m4 with some magpul bits isn't going to turn any heads.
          “A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

Comment

I would recommend for all airsofters to try what your about to do, I think it’s a good thing to understand how your AEG works and it will greatly improve your diagnostic and repair skills in the future, on this gun and other models as well

a_fleas idea is what I would do, look for a cheap 2nd hand rifle to base your design off and go from there, as there are not really any standards from many of the chinasoft manufactures you may find that lots of custom parts ordered won't fit together as nicely as you would expect.

but be aware you will be ordering extra parts as you will need some other bits or bobs you forgot.

good luck and let us know how you get on.
            The Airsoft Knowledge Base Project is where we will be building up information, guides, fixes and other Airsoft knowledge.

Comment

I think I'm going to go for the second hand base rifle idea. As those who are suggesting it definitely make sense. I do know there are ready built Magpul rifles out there, but none to my knowledge come with a Magpul MOE fixed rifle stock and M16 length handguard as a combination.

Can anyone suggest any other tune up kits that are under are around the £50-£70 mark?

Thanks again!
              Trader Feedback:

Comment

i would take a look at what internals you get, but if there in not to bad nick then get a ascu v3 mosfet, it would transform the gun into something special.
                The Airsoft Knowledge Base Project is where we will be building up information, guides, fixes and other Airsoft knowledge.

Comment

That's a little too expensive for my budget. I'd like to try and pick one up for £20-£25.

Also looking for an Elcan Specter DR clone for £50 if anyone can PM me a link to anywhere that does one for that?

Great info so far!
                  Trader Feedback:

Comment

Few things you have mentioned there, so far as I am aware, the AR15 series really only comes with a few barrel lengths. 10.5" is CQB, 14.5" is stock, 16" and 20" (M16, this is also off the top of my head, I'm ignoring the shorter versions as OP doesn't want them). Rare to come across a 16/18" outer barrel these days, but not impossible to source.

Second hand market is a double edged knife, you could get a good deal with most of the parts you want, or you could end up paying more for a real bogey which ends up needing more work in the long run, so don't rush into things there.

As for internal parts, you need to know what kind of performance you want from this rifle BEFORE you go and buy parts. The kits are OK, but again, not always best, quite often your better buying the parts you need individually. Likewise, some parts might not need replacing depending on what rifle you buy. Do you want a high ROF, very fast trigger response or what? Decide what you want it to do, then ask back here if you need and we can help suggest what parts to look for.

Mosfets.... 'Plug and Play' or hardwired

Plug and Plays are essentially, useless and a waste of money. They connect in between the battery and the rest of the circuit by normal connections, and do offer fire select options, but offer no other real benefits. They are also, comparatively, large and bulky. But, they are generally cheaper.

Hardwired ones will often replace the wiring in the gun as the mosfet is wired in. simple ones just reduce the arching in trigger contacts, give a slightly snappier response.

fully programmable ones replace the trigger mech, and include a fire control computer. The top of the line ones are fully programmable, meaning they have multiple fire options (single fire only, burst, ramping etc). They also replace the mechanical trigger switch, which stops arching in the trigger contacts and is just generally, far better. They also monitor the piston and sector gears, to ensure the gearbox always completes a fully cycle, preventing gearbox lock ups. (you can even remove the AR latch)

The ASCU V2/V3+ are good, but the BTC Chimera or Spectre are better in terms of power handling/size/features. But its finding them in stock!
                    Last edited by Caldymoose; 1 November, 2013, 17:52. Reason: forgot basic mosfet
                    sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

I'm fraud your budget would need to be a little higher for the DR brand new. You may be super lucky and pick one up second hand for that, but that will require patience. The one I had was £80 second hand. Try hold value for some reason. Beware though, they add a right chunk of weight to your gun.
                      “A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Caldymoose View Post
                        "

Plug and Plays are essentially, useless and a waste of money.
                        I would say that GATE's plug and play mosfets are some of the best mosfets you can get...
                        Originally posted by Walter Gropius
                        If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Originally posted by a_flea View Post
                          I would say that GATE's plug and play mosfets are some of the best mosfets you can get...
                          Yeah but they don't perform the main aim of installing a MOSFET in the first place, protecting your trigger contacts.

The full electrowhack still goes through your trigger contacts.
                          Buy my stuff!

Comment

Caldymoose - You make a very good point. I'm essentially trying to put together something close to a DMR, but I would like a 3 round burst. I'll also be trying to get as close as possible to a consistent 328fps for the Tanio Koba barrel. Accuracy and distance are my main priorities.

I have done 1 or 2 custom builds before, but with little real knowledge of what I was putting in the rifle etc. Here is one of them:
                            - G&G M4
                            - Full Guarder Tune Up Kit inc:
                            Air Seal Nozzle
                            Polycarbonate Piston
                            Shim Set
                            Gears
                            Lucid Chromium Plating Cylinder
                            Stainless Cylinder Head
                            Enhanced Tappet Plate
                            Ball Bearings Spring Guide
                            - Guarder Clear Hop-Up Bucking
                            - Tokyo Marui EG1000
                            - Systema M100 Spring
                            - Promethius 7mm Bearings
                            - Laylax 430mm 6.03 TB Barrel
                            - MOSFET (couldn't remember the brand)
                            - G&P Multi Catch
                            - MAGPUL Dark Earth Hand Guard
                            - MAGPUL Rails (for Hand Guard)
                            - Magpul Dark Earth Pistol Grip
                            - G&P Knights Trigger Guard
                            - G&P Dark Earth Short Solid Stock

I'd be looking to follow the same kind of thing, but leave the motor alone until it goes.

In terms of MOSFETS, hardwired sounds good. I'll be looking more into those for sure.

Thanks!
                            Trader Feedback:

Comment

Originally posted by a_flea View Post
                              Really? You'd choose one of those over a BTC Chimera or Spectre then? Or even an ASCU?

The biggest advantage of a Mosfet is replacing the mechanical trigger, or reducing the power going through them (depending on Mosfet), and plug and plays cannot offer this. Yeah, they might enable you to gain a burst fire mode, but in the grand scheme of things, they offer very little gain in performance.
                              sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

mj23lj Find out more about mj23lj
                              Working...
                              X