ICS gearbox lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICS gearbox lock

Hi guys, wondering if you can help, i got an ics m4, stuck a new piston, piston head and spring guide in, worked fine for a while, then when i used semi it would sometimes fire 2 shots at a time, after picking it up today however the gearbox is locked i think, tried recharging a battery and using it again, still locked, tried adjusting the motor height, can adjust it to the stage the gears whir round, otherwise, still locked at other heights, with the decompression button fitted to ics', i'm wondering if unlocking by pulling the anti reversal latch will work and also, if not is there any advice you guys could give? thanks

- - - Updated - - -

should also point out it makes a clicking noise when i pull the trigger, can feel slight movement in grip but no bb's fire

Re: ICS gearbox lock

also, pressing the decompression button worked once, allowed for 5 shots before making a combination of clicking and whirring sounds, decompression button not helping now, just lock up

Comment

Tried a different battery?
      Pop a video up if you can. Would probably help diagnose!
      -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
      -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

i just used a fully charged 8.4v, also tried a 9.6v to try and sort of bump the gears out of locking but didn't work, as you might not be able to tell, the first shot is like a lock, then after that a buzz

Comment

The decompression button should pull the anti-reverse latch, so if it isn't decompressing it could be broken.

Sounds like its struggling to be honest. Check the motor height isn't too high. Did you lube the rails for the new piston, is it a good fit? Did you check the AOE - ICS pistons tend to be a bit longer than standard so a non ICS might need shimming. Did you have the gears in the correct position (no teeth showing) when you closed it back up - it will jam if you forced the gun closed. Check your new piston for wear on the teeth! Do the gears in the lower spin OK when the gun in is opened up and pull the trigger!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by julesbloke View Post
            The decompression button should pull the anti-reverse latch, so if it isn't decompressing it could be broken.

Sounds like its struggling to be honest. Check the motor height isn't too high. Did you lube the rails for the new piston, is it a good fit? Did you check the AOE - ICS pistons tend to be a bit longer than standard so a non ICS might need shimming. Did you have the gears in the correct position (no teeth showing) when you closed it back up - it will jam if you forced the gun closed. Check your new piston for wear on the teeth! Do the gears in the lower spin OK when the gun in is opened up and pull the trigger!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
            I concur. That's a sick sounding puppy.
            From looking at the video, I agree with JB that the Motor height is probably the issue - the motor being too high. Back it out and see what happens then keep backing it out until it works - or not! I had a similar things with one of my old guns after I swapped out the GBX and it sounds identical. Its probably not the piston actually locking as such, so that's probably the reason the tension release thing isn't doing anything, I don't think the motor is getting far enough to tension up the system. With the motor too high, you're essentially trying to force the pinion gear too high up the bevel gear and it can't deliver enough force to spin the system efficiently - (not a good analogy as its not quite right) but its a bit like trying to start a car off in the wrong gear... It stalls.

Hope that helps

R

Comment

thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it, okay what i did initally was split the gun and take out the upper gearbox, i then fired with just the lower half in and the gears span fine, albeit a little crunchy, so i got the motor to the right height and the gears run smooth now, however i have found what may be a problem that could be linked to the other, when i finish firing, there is a slight rattle while the bevel gear spins, not sure if it's related, so i checked the gears and they all seem perfectly fine, i also checked the upper gearbox and relubed and reset everything and still when i put the gun back together i get that horrific sound, wonder if this helps you guys at all, thanks again

also yes, piston is the same length, was lubed and set right, i also made sure the gears where not upward facing when the gun was closed back up

Comment

Originally posted by hairiestbadger View Post
                thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it, okay what i did initally was split the gun and take out the upper gearbox, i then fired with just the lower half in and the gears span fine, albeit a little crunchy, so i got the motor to the right height and the gears run smooth now, however i have found what may be a problem that could be linked to the other, when i finish firing, there is a slight rattle while the bevel gear spins, not sure if it's related, so i checked the gears and they all seem perfectly fine, i also checked the upper gearbox and relubed and reset everything and still when i put the gun back together i get that horrific sound, wonder if this helps you guys at all, thanks again

also yes, piston is the same length, was lubed and set right, i also made sure the gears where not upward facing when the gun was closed back up
                You're an unlucky chappie. So frustrating... but at least its a split gearbox so stripping isn't too bad I guess.
                Rattling doesn't sound like a good sign. You've checked the gears (i presume they're fine), but is the bevel gear shimming OK, not too tight or loose - might explain your problem? Did you also check the pinion gear to make sure that it hasn't worn internally. The end of the motor axle if I remember rightly is sort of D shaped and that's what the pinion gear sits on. There is a chance that the D shaped bit has stripped/worn as a result of the previous problem so although it will spin the gears, any force will mean that the pinion gear remain stationary whilst the motor axle spins inside. Not a problem I've seen before but a very remote possibility.

As an experiment, you may want to go back to the original spring guide just to see if that has any effect... I can't see the piston head being a problem and as you say, the piston is an ICS version so that shouldn't be an issue either. TBH I'm not familiar that with ICS stuff but I do think its proprietary in many areas.

R

Comment

The pinion gear does seem a little worse for wear, i'm wondering if it's possible it could pull the gears but under strain slip and cause that noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hairiestbadger View Post
                    The pinion gear does seem a little worse for wear, i'm wondering if it's possible it could pull the gears but under strain slip and cause that noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    That does not look good - in fact, it's fecked!
                    I reckon that is part of the problem, its clearly not been meshing properly. The damage towards the bottom end suggests what we thought initially i.e. motor height... I reckon you could pick up a new pinion gear for under £5. The bad news is getting the current one off... That's the difficult bit.

R

Comment

ahhhh darn, i've been looking into that, and for the price of a pinion gear and a remover, i'm looking at around £30, my friend who's hanging up his airsofting boots however is selling a G&P M120 for £20, may take him up on it if any of you know if it's compatible with ics and if it's any good? Thankyou all a hell of a lot for the help

Comment

G&P motor will work fine. Rof Ok, hard to beat for that price.
                        check ur spring / piston is moving freely.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

hairiestbadger Find out more about hairiestbadger
                        Working...
                        X