Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Interest in 3D Printed P90 Mag Release Catch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest in 3D Printed P90 Mag Release Catch?

Hey guys! After reading a thread about 3D printed parts, Jasont21 mentioned he needed a hard-to-find P90 mag release catch. I got the calipers out, and modelled one from my own catch!

P90 Magazine Release Catch.jpg

Would there be any call for this part? I have seen a few posts on various forums from people needing a replacement. I'm not looking to profit from it, I'll just upload it to a 3D printing site, and peeps can pay whatever their charge is, and have it delivered to their door.

Obviously, it hasn't been tested yet! Thoughts?

Re: Interest in 3D Printed P90 Mag Release Catch?

I think that's a fantastic idea. I really think there could be a big market for this type of thing, I often need 1 spare part and having it 3d printed would be much cheaper than buying a donor gun which is usually the only other alternative for me. Any chance you could do the same with a TM5-7 mag catch?

Comment

I only have a P90 I'm afraid! Donor parts could work though. If your catch has split, mail it to me, and I could probably take measurements from it. The only issue I can forsee would be the accuracy/strength of the printed parts, and the surface finish.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure about posting links to it, but I have the model hosted on a well established printing site.

Mods, can this be posted here?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Strength won't be a problem in PLA. I bumped my hotend temp up to 195 with this model (see pic)IMAG0687[1].jpgto get good laminar adhesion. Funnily enough, when I tried this model in ABS it sucked as it wouldn't keep it's very specific dimensions when it cooled. Lots of post processing involved which I think will be the downside to your P90 catch. You may want to try orientating it so it needs the minimum of support material. Either that or use ABS, but make the model a little chubby (technical term ) so you've got got room to sand it down. Sometimes I change something completely to get it to come off the print bed correctly. You're better off doing that and having something that works and will last than a carbon copy with weak spots that wouldn't last.

Mass produced injection moulded parts are made to use as little material as possible, where we don't have that constraint.

IMAG0685[1].jpg
          IMAG0686[1].jpg
          You broke it? I'll fix it...

It works? I'll make it work better!!

Comment

Good plan. Mine broke a few years ago, ended up buying a new body

On my phone, my spelling will suck.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

RitchieTheBrit Ex-squaddie, graphic designer, guy who keeps tripping over. Find out more about RitchieTheBrit
            Working...
            X