Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Upgraded P90, Time to Get Rid of The Twang Noise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded P90, Time to Get Rid of The Twang Noise!

Hey guys!

Asia Electric P90 (JG) with the following...

Lonex M100 non-linear spring
    Lonex TB barrel 247mm (6.03)
    Modify steel bearing spring guide
    Guarder Clear improved bucking

Before fitting the TB and spring guide, I was getting 145fps. Now it's hitting more like 175-180, so a change of srping is in order!

My OEM spring has an unsprung length of 150mm. Since fitting the Lonex M100 I've had that horrible TWANG of the spring vibrating. Looking for a suggestion to replace it, get me down to the 350fps ballpark, and NOT TWANG!

I'm not disassembeling my gearbox to measure the Lonex, but I'm going to hazard a guess it down to spring length?

Re: Upgraded P90, Time to Get Rid of The Twang Noise!

Id be more concerned over the fact your getting less than 200 FPS from an M100 spring which should be doing between 350-380 FPS. You have a massive air leak somewhere in your system.
    sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

What the.... My brain must have been malfunctioning! Was getting 345, now it's hitting 380.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

No suggestions? They don't seem to list unsprung lengths online...

Comment

I've gone for an SHS m90 non-linear. Fingers crossed the twang will disappear and I'm under site limits.

Comment

I've had something like that with a Lonex M90 spring, found some suggestions of covering it with thick grease which didn't seem to help. My lonex M100 is fine. I don't understand why it happens but I don't think its down to just length.

If its shooting hot, put a high cap though it and see what happens, if its still hot I'd look at a Guarder SP90 (rated with .25's), normally put out 325fps on .2's but I've got one throwing out 340fps ish which seems a bit extreme! They don't normally drop much either. Z1 sell them and they're very reasonably priced vs the competition.

Comment

The Lonex had a full game day through it, three hicaps and at least ten midcaps. Very little loss of fps since it was first fitted, maybe five fps, so it seems to be a damn good spring. I just can't live with that twang ha!

If the SHS let's me down, I'll try the Guarder, thanks for your input Rich.

Comment

I haven't used SHS springs but have seen the odd comment they sometimes they do come mislabeled from the factory, just something to be aware of if you see odd fps!

Comment

Ah, never seen that mentioned. Heard they are pretty good, but I'll keep it in mind, cheers!

Sent on Tapatalk, apologies for spelling!

Comment

I have the same twang on my g&g gr16 cqw rush, i've ordered a ball bearing spring guide apparently (if you don't have a bearing spring guide) it's the best solution. i'll let you know if it works

G&G GR16, TM Desert Warrior, KJW G32c

Comment

Yup, first thing I tried, a modify steel bearing guide. Had zilch effect other than possibly upping my fps. I've seen talk of extra lube, wrapping a few coils in electrical tape etc, none if which is satisfactory to me. I'm hoping a new spring will stop it, the design of the P90 lower amplifies it as well!

Comment

This often happens because the spring is the 'same' length as the space it fits into in the gearbox, or even ever so slightly smaller. Because of that, when it is released it can extend fully and as you will know, if you hold a spring and let it go it 'boings' and vibrates, which is what causes your twang.

I believe that stopping the twang you need an ever so slightly longer spring, so it only extends 99.99% when it is released, and that tiny remaining tension stops any twang. Your bearing spring guide may help.
                        Formerly 'Waltzinblack' but thought it was time to incorporate my Team callsign into my name

Comment

That makes perfect sense Welshy, but the spring still needs a butt load of compression to get it into the gearbox. I would say uncompressed, around quarter of the spring passes out of the back of the box. I will compare the OEM, the Lonex and the new spring when I next strip it.

Comment

I think, if you google around it is quite often the spring length. Usually you find the issue on threads where people are trying to quieten down spring sniper rifles.

I may have been mistaken - its not so much the spring being the same length as they gearbox, but if the spring is clipped or sometimes the cheaper ones/designed for totally different guns can simply just be manufactured the wrong length, which causes a twang even if they are still under compression.

Irregular pitch/non linear springs might alter this effect... I dont know
                            Formerly 'Waltzinblack' but thought it was time to incorporate my Team callsign into my name

Comment

The one that twangs is a non-linear. I think it's down to spring length as well, like I said, when I crack the GB open next time I'll be comparing all three and I'll report back with the results.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

RitchieTheBrit Ex-squaddie, graphic designer, guy who keeps tripping over. Find out more about RitchieTheBrit
                              Working...
                              X