TM M14 Electrical Burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TM M14 Electrical Burning

Since the day I purchased my TM M14 from a ZI Classified Seller I've noticed the smell of burning coming from what I believed was the motor. The gun still functioned well enough but the smell still lingered. I handed it over to Spoony otherwise known as the Northerner and he also believed the smell was originating from the Marui motor so I opted to change the motor over with a JBU Short to see if that would solve the problem. After the fiddly reassemble of the housing unit I put the new motor into the gun only for nothing to happen. I checked the fuse which came with the gun upon purchase and noticed it was a 16A. Once I connected the fuse back it then broke. I naturally assumed this was because it was quite a weak fuse, so I changed it over with a 20A and that one blew up too before I could get the gun to fire. I read around and it was said the battery could be at fault, naturally going through the process of elimination I purchased a new 7 Cell Large from the Zero One site and a couple more 20A fuses. When the battery arrived I put another 20A fuse into the gun and connected the new battery. Moment later the fuse blew on that too. I asked around again and I was recommended getting a 25A fuse instead. Another day passes and I acquire several more fuses in 25A. I hooked up the new 25A fuse, and the new 7 Cell Large only this time the fuse didn't break but I noticed smoke coming from somewhere on the wire or the fuse housing unit. Am I right to believe this wire is shorting?

unnamed.jpg

Re: TM M14 Electrical Burning

What's going on after the fuse, it looks like someone has cut and changed the polarity of the wires over, has someone swapped out the connector in the past? This would cause a problem since your motor can only turn one way in the gear box, the anti reversal latch will make sure of that!
    Also the only way to really prove the cable out would be to get a multimeter on it.
    "I sincerely hope your next shit is a hedgehog" loki7491
    Life in the fast lane........
    sigpic

Comment

Hi Mate,

I had a similar problem with my TM M14 after a motor change a while ago, with exactly the same symptoms. The problem was that the motor was adjusted too high, and it needed to be lowered for the gears to move. There's a small allen screw on the end of the motor housing, loosen it, and see if the motor turns. I ended up taking my fuse out all together when trying to find the problem. Hope this helps.

Comment

I certainly haven't touched the connectors since I bought the gun, but as I say since day one of having it it's been producing a burning smell that was coming from somewhere. As for a multimeter I haven't got one let alone know how to read one. My knowledge has a limit that doesn't exceed certain practical practises. I might know someone who has, but if worse comes to worse and the cable is duff, acquiring a replacement shouldn't be too tricky? This was the first time I've seen smoke come from it too, whether it's because the 25A fuse wasn't breaking or not I'm unsure.

Comment

The only time I have had fuses blown on guns was when my famas spring broke in half inside the gearbox. I replaced the fuse 3 times before I cracked her open and fixed her.

Comment

Originally posted by Dranyam View Post
            Hi Mate,

I had a similar problem with my TM M14 after a motor change a while ago, with exactly the same symptoms. The problem was that the motor was adjusted too high, and it needed to be lowered for the gears to move. There's a small allen screw on the end of the motor housing, loosen it, and see if the motor turns. I ended up taking my fuse out all together when trying to find the problem. Hope this helps.
            This doesn't appear to be the problem. I've had the nut loosened but the motor still wont functioning. I am feeling some heat coming off the wiring that has both a red and black sleeve on. I suspecting this could be where I might find the source of my problems.

- - - Updated - - -

10336672_1456588377912681_4984552839421173255_n.jpg

Thanks Pacey.

Comment

That is wired the wrong way around, the positive (red) should be going in to the fuse.
              "I sincerely hope your next shit is a hedgehog" loki7491
              Life in the fast lane........
              sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Lucifer Find out more about Lucifer
              Working...
              X