Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TM M14 Hop Rubber Replacement

Hi All

I have replaced the hop rubber in my M14 as the original was ripped and throwing BBs all over the place.
    I think I have a Madbull Shark in there now but even with the hop off 2's & 25's fly straight up like the hop is on full.

Any recommendations for replacement rubbers?

Cheers
    Ric
    Stop Drop And Roll

Re: TM M14 Hop Rubber Replacement

It can take a good few hundred rounds before the bucking breaks in. Did you also replace your nub? If so, it's possible the new nub is too hard. Try reverting back to your old nub.

Sent on Tapatalk, apologies for spelling!

Comment

Cheers Richie
      But I didn't change the nub and the rubber was one I had taken out of another rifle so had plenty of use.
      Stop Drop And Roll

Comment

Drop the barrel off the rifle. Holding the barrel up to a light with the hop dialled off, check if the bucking hump is visible. Pop a BB into the barrel at the hop end, and see if it passes with little/no help.

If a BB can't pass through the hop easily, you're right about suffering over hop. Remove the hop, and try refitting your bucking. Again, check down the barrel. Carefully refit your hop, applying a little silicone oil to the OUTSIDE of the bucking to help. Again, check bucking mound.

Some buckings just refuse to play nicely with some hop / barrel combinations.

Sent on Tapatalk, apologies for spelling!

Comment

Ah now that's a good idea!
          I have just replaced the hop rubber again but I'll give your idea a go!
          Cheers
          Stop Drop And Roll

Comment

Agree with everything Ritchie says, re nub/try refitting.

However, I suspect that this rubber might be the problem. Objectively, Madbull rubbers perform well, but compared to nearly all other hop rubbers they are very beefy and thick! I have simply been unable to get them into some hop units before! Them not fitting properly/having to squeeze everything so hard to get them to fit can cause problems, and I have also known their thick construction to mean that they are always overhopped.

In short I suggest a new rubber.

The TM M14 hop unit is designed to be used with the TM rubber and TM nub. You are lucky in that the TM stock rubber is probably the 2nd or 3rd best on the market and the ones above it are only very marginally superior. TM rubbers/nubs are also cheap and easily available. I really recommend replacing with these!

Stock TM M14s are renowned for their incredible out-of-the-box performance, especially range and accuracy considering their relatively low (270 or so fps) power. This is due to the excellent design of the hop unit combined with the excellent TM rubber and nub. It's the same in the TM P90!

So, replace for TM, which are about £8. Or if you REALLY want the absolute best range ever ever ever, then go for a Firefly rubber, which will get a bit more range than stock TM, but costs £30.
            Formerly 'Waltzinblack' but thought it was time to incorporate my Team callsign into my name

Comment

Cheers for the advice.

I put the original rubber back in and it's working fine just a bit all over the place.

I was looking for ages for a TM rubber, am I just being stupid?

Got a spare Fire Fly rubber so I will cut that down and try it.

Thanks for the help once again!
              Stop Drop And Roll

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

The Dr Find out more about The Dr
              Working...
              X