SHS high speed gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHS high speed gears

Recently broke my SHS 13:1 spur gear in my high ROF mp5k and was wondering if it is possible to buy and if it would to just replace the one gear with a new one?
    For sale:

-Splitting M4
    -MP5 Parts
    -MP7a1
    -M9 Magazine

Re: SHS high speed gears

You could do it, but it would have to be the same gear ratio (13:1). I've never seen a retailer selling SHS 13:1's individually; Only their standard ratio ones. If you find somebody selling those gears individually, PM me!

Comment

will do pal although I'm pretty sure no-one does, annoying as you can get other single gears like TM or Seigteck (however you spell it).
      For sale:

-Splitting M4
      -MP5 Parts
      -MP7a1
      -M9 Magazine

Comment

Which generation of gears? I have lots of spares.
        dsgdreamteam

Comment

Im not too sure tbh but I can link you the page I bought them from. TBh it wouldn't surprise me if they are fakes given how dodgy the website is.
          For sale:

-Splitting M4
          -MP5 Parts
          -MP7a1
          -M9 Magazine

Comment

From Gen 1 to 3, the genuine Step (Spur) Gear should look like this for the "13:1" sets.

Last edited by sj_asc; 5 November, 2014, 10:04. Reason: Edit - Just checked my Gen 2's do not use the SHS "T" shaped logo, just the circled brand
            dsgdreamteam

Comment

I have checked online and I believe that mine are genuine and its actually the bevel gear that is broken; not the spur gear, sorry about that error.
              For sale:

-Splitting M4
              -MP5 Parts
              -MP7a1
              -M9 Magazine

Comment

You can use a typical 10 tooth bevel from a Marui Spec 18.7:1 set, if you had the Gen 2 sets (hugely flawed) then anything other than the bevel supplied is likely to be more durable.
                The Gen 2 sets came with 9 tooth bevel gears which not only shifted the ratio to above 14, but also had shallower teeth (0.8mm vs the previous 1.10mm).
                The design of the spur (middle gear) has not changed thoughout the generations, which is why with gen 3 and 4 bevel gears they reverted to the tried and true 10 tooth with deeper teeth profiles.
                All generations of SHS 13:1 gears are compatible with Marui Spec 10 tooth bevel gears.

Using the 10 tooth bevel, the gear set it will retain its true lower ratio of 13.65:1. SHS certainly have some interesting ways of rounding numbers!
                dsgdreamteam

Comment

SJ, you need to be getting those Gen 4's and testing the 12:1s... Also notice they've released a DSG?

On topic, the above is right. You can generally replace the bevel from any standard ratio gearset.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Yep, they have tried with the DSG for some time now, but I think it's only respectful to avoid it.
                    And yes, have got quite a few 12:1's in, and despite other having issues, i've not had a set go down yet. I guess there was a faulty batch out there! - Again this applies only to bevel gears, and as before, any marui spec 10 tooth bevel is compatible with the 12:1 sets as well.
                    http://s4.photobucket.com/user/snipe...7a10e.jpg.html
                    dsgdreamteam

Comment

Hmm, I am tempted to get the SHS DSG though just to see what sort of abuse it can stand up to... M170 @ 40 rps +... my guess is 10k rounds or less.

I still need to pick up a few packs of the 12:1's as well as a ZCI HT (22tpa). And I'd also be interested, next month perhaps due to funds, in those fets you've been building. Are they okay for 11.1 and 14.8v?

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

I've moved onto motors now though - the dubbed FT seems to be a long shot off of what is possible
                        The old 3034's I used to make should be fine for 14.8 (or 16.8v), but I know for sure the f-storms i've had in recently are just fine with 4 cell.

SHS in general have always been the best value for money, if you are unlucky enough to get a bad set then it's not the end of the world as they only cost about £15. If theyre going to give out, they usually go fairly early.
                        I would like to see how well the SHS dual sector fares under stress, but couldn't bring my self to buy one knowing that they blatantly ripped off riots design and also tried to use his content.
                        dsgdreamteam

Comment

SJ... I'd be very excited to hear of your findings with SFT motors (super frankentorques)... I'm guessing you've either done something with the magnets, cans or shimming, or simply found a way to stuff more than 38 TPA in there!

Thanks for the info on the fets.
                          Yes that is a real shame and to be honest considering you get lifetime warrantys on the SC gears (and are probably the highest quality gearset SSG and DSG), I can only feel that without any control measures in place in China, there's going to be more and more examples of blatant rip-offs in all sectors (pardon the pun) - motors, gearboxes (waiting on a Retro Arms clone now), EBB units and far more outside of airsoft.

EDIT - Would you say the Fstorms are better than the average standard 3034?
                          Last edited by Gaffa; 5 November, 2014, 01:50.

Comment

Yes, peak current rating is obvioulsy not as high as the basic 3034, but 3034's are capable of more than we will ever need for an airsoft motor. Where the basic 3034's fail is lack of protection against back EMF, a problem that is particularly prominent with high TPA motors at speed (the common trend). The f-storm's have a TVS diode inline to protect the main FET from spikes up to 5kw - the same as Frank uses with BTC FETs.

As for the motors, a lot has been learned since the 37tpa project and after dense discussions with the engineer and test subjects back and forth to the dyno it's looking like a very bright light at the end of the tunnel. There really is more to torque than just adding as many coils as possible. I will keep you guys posted, it's looking nearer the end of the year for the arms at least. It's cost a lot of time and money but will be worth it - Lonex's A2 really is embarrasing :P .

Apologies for sliding slightly off topic here,
                            Wilko129, I have found a spare 10 tooth bevel for your set
                            Last edited by sj_asc; 5 November, 2014, 09:52.
                            dsgdreamteam

Comment

No worries it makes for interesting reading
                              For sale:

-Splitting M4
                              -MP5 Parts
                              -MP7a1
                              -M9 Magazine

Comment

About the Author

Collapse