Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WE SCAR gearbox problems?!? HELP!!

Hi guys,
    I'm just after a bit of advice if you don't mind? I was given a WE Scar by a mate because it doesn't work, externally everything is fine but internally it is completely baffling me!! I have connected a motor to it and it just makes a "whirring" noise, as if the gears are grinding. I then took the gearbox apart and everything seemed to be there, however after putting it back together again and trying it, it is still making the same noise!! I would send it to a tech but to be honest I don't know if it would just be worth buying a new gearbox?? This again leads me with another problem though as I can't find the exact V2 gearbox anywhere?!? Can somebody please help me with this as I am tearing my hair out haha!

- - - Updated - - -

I also failed to mention that I have played with the motor adjustment and all that business, it doesn't have a fuse so isn't that so I really think it's the gearbox?!?

Re: WE SCAR gearbox problems?!? HELP!!

Is there any possibility that you can video it and stick it on YouTube so that we can hear the "whirring"? A common cause of a whirring noise is a stripped piston; I don't know how experienced you are at finding your way around a gearbox so please do not be offended by these questions if they seem patronising:

1. Did you have a good look at the teeth on the piston?

2. If you did, were they intact?

It is almost certainly not worth buying a new gearbox.

Comment

Thanks Colin, I don't find it patronising at all as I'm not an expert at this by any means, now that you mention it I have looked at the piston and a few of the teeth are damaged?? Could this be the reason? Yes I will post a video on YouTube and post the link if that would help, I appreciate the help so thank you in advance

Comment

A fast, clean whirr (without metallic grinding) definetely sounds like a stripped piston. Inspect the first tooth of the piston (I refer to the back tooth as the first), this is the pickup tooth.

If that or the next few are damaged, the gears can't pick up the piston to draw it back. The whirr is metal teeth on the plastic of the cylinder. One of the cheapest parts to replace, so it's good news if it IS that!

Comment

http://youtu.be/m5hO1_hHjKQ

Comment

Sounds like the piston for sure.

Comment

Agreed! My vote is for a stripped piston; the sound and the damaged teeth tell the story. Get yourself a new piston, pop it in and off you go.

Comment

Brilliant news! Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it, saved me a lot of cash, especially during the festive holidays haha

Comment

Most problems inside a gearbox are reasonably inexpensive to fix; it is hardly ever worth changing the whole gearbox. Good luck with getting it running.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mazey74 Find out more about Mazey74
                  Working...
                  X