shimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shimming

I seem to have an evil gearbox, I tried shimming it and it came out Ok-ish for my first try shimming a gearbox (sounded pretty rough). I then had a wiring issue and sent it in to a shop get rewired and re-shimmed, and it came out if anything; worse. Is there anyone any good at shimming that would be able to find out what's up and sort it out for me? It's a G&G cqw rush with the blowback de-activated, new motor, and short stoked gears (to reduce the fps).
    Thanks
    Alex

G&G GR16, TM Desert Warrior, KJW G32c

Re: shimming

Does it still have the stock G&G copper bushings in it? They've certainly worth swapping out.

Are you still running a stock motor? Have you checked motor height, its usually the first culprit for an abnormally loud gearbox.

Comment

you changed the motor,so it may have a different pinion gear which doesnt mesh well with your bevel gear,also did you change the pistol grip
      VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
      trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Other causes for horrible noise can be mismatched brand gears, particularly the pinion to the bevel, have you changed any of the gears or motor? I put a TM eg3000 with SHS gears in an old build of mine and I could never get the noise down to a level I was happy with. Swapped the pinion to SHS and things got much better.

Comment

I changed out the bushing, and put a lonex motor in it. the pinion gear wasn't meshing well so I switched back to the stock g&g one, the gears are all g&g stock ones (i put some lonex ones in but they seemed to be too small of a diameter 0.05 mm out) so it has all matching g&g gears. as for motor height, I have put the motor all the way in, and out and it sounds horrible everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

i did change the pisto grip too, i have a g&p spr grip on it

Comment

changing the pistol grip can make the motor sit at an incorrect angle causing all kinds of problems, you've changed a lot of things there...... so a lot of issues can occur, its a matter of elimination you really need to go back to stock parts and add one change at a time, till you find the culprit tbh it could be any number of things or severall added together,you might even have a noisy motor or bushing not seated right.....have you noticed extra heat from the pistol grip,motor, wires or battery
            VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
            trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

no, i haven't noticed any heating up

Comment

I'd try the original pistol grip and watch for wire routing, the wires can move the motor and cause it not to sit right.

Comment

i have tried a combination of two motors, two pinion gears and 3 grips, and with all of them the gun still sounds horrible. it's looking like it's gonna have to be a full blown re shim

Comment

1. firstly when you instal a especially new gears, use a toot brush and some white spirit/acetone or any other solvent who is beloved by junkies, to remove a traces of old grease, sand and remains of metal chips.

2 sometimes gears / GB are not flat smooth and are unsymmetrical. try to flat it file down till you get smooth surface. Clean it up with solvent (tootbruch or cloth ).If you need use a metal polishing fluid / paste

3 .when you instal a new gears start from the mid.
                    a).put the smallest shiming at bottom of gear and spin the wheel.try to hear some noise. if no-->high of gear is correct. if yes- add one extra till you get noiseless effect
                    b) .insert a new shining at top of shaft of mid. gear. now, put other part of GB,bolt it (at lest 3-4 screws the nearest of the gear ) , and spin it. try to find any gaps between flange of shaft and bearings/bushing. add always the smallest no you have till you get smooth moment without any wobbling or grinding noise. then you can replace a shimming with a few of large size. ( 5x 0.1 = 1x0.5 )

c) Try to write done on paper which gear and how many shimming you added. it can be very useful when you lost a shimming accidentally. Also you will know a gap between flanges of gears

4. Other gear shall be instal in the same way.
                    5. Instal a motor and try to adjust the high of it. Do not instal a spring yet, coz you will simply shave off a gears.
                    6. If done correctly, add lubricant (oil, grease , lard, whatever you use ) ,then instal a spring, and try to finish motor adjustment under a spring load.

It is method of trial and errors. the worst of all when you fixing AEG.It takes a lot of time, but is very crucial and result always improves performance of our RIF (greater rof, greater trig reaction,lower noise or noiseless )

Sometimes you must a file down a cut off lever or ant other part of gearbox to have a right interval among a gear.
                    Technically the gap between gears shall be as small as possible ( i refer to stress theory ) However, the greater gap among them the lower noise. You need to fine a compromise

End of proces.

Comment

thats is a far outdated method of shimming, look up bevel to pinion shimming on youtube or make an airsoft mechanics forum account you'll find several good guides there.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

NinjaAxle Find out more about NinjaAxle
                      Working...
                      X