Honey Badger Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honey Badger Gears

So, running an 11.1 lipo in my honey badger first destroyed the motor and then stripped the bevel and spur gear. Not bad for 9 mags into its life... I was alternating between 7.4v lipos and the only one 11.1v lipo I own specifically for the badger. It all went wrong on the 11.1v.

I have a new motor, a lonex A1. Recommended gears to replace the poopy original ones?

Thanks

Scott

Re: Honey Badger Gears

Originally posted by Moonmoose View Post
    It all went wrong on the 11.1v.
    well what did you expect?

Sorry
    AMY WINEHOUSE R.I.P

G&P Silver M14 EBR Cheap
    http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...om-going-cheap

Comment

Its suppose to be able to handle an 11.1 lipo.

And thanks for the answering my question. Why bother commenting if you not going to help? douche.

Comment

Ares being typically shocking. SHS gears are fantastic bang for buck, however even with the new gears I strongly advise against the 11.1v if you are going to be using the Lonex A1.
        dsgdreamteam

Comment

I run 11.1 with ares. ...single shot only. Never an issue
          Are you on full auto?

paint brush with a trigger .... yes please

Comment

Just bare in mind that your whole gearbox needs to up to scratch in order to handle a high speed/torque motor and an 11.1 lipo. Ares internals (at least the last one I saw) seem to made of cheese. As a minimum I would strongly consider:
            - Steel bushings/bearings
            - Upgrade piston + piston head (SHS) w/bearings removed
            - Angle of engagement fixed with sorbo pad
            - Ball bearing steel spring guide
            - Good shim job
            - MOSFET

The above is what I do to any AEG I have if I'm going to run 11.1s on it.

Comment

The honey badger has a mosfet as standard doesn't it?
              Hi torque motors will destroy your gb if everything else isn't reinforced

Comment

Originally posted by PUNKDADDY78 View Post
                I run 11.1 with ares. ...single shot only. Never an issue
                out of curiosity why would you use a 11.1 on single only? if your using single only why not a 7.4
                AMY WINEHOUSE R.I.P

G&P Silver M14 EBR Cheap
                http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...om-going-cheap

Comment

It came with 11.1 simple as
                  And trigger response is better

Comment

The a1 motor is high speed i believe you qould of been better with a A2 as it is only slightly slower with a lot more torque and it gets up to speed quicker.
                    The gears dont matter as much as good shimming and setting up the motor correctly.
                    By the sounds of it you would be better giving your rifle to a tech and letting them sort it out. If not you run the risk of causing even more issues.
                    At a minimum if running a 11v lipo you ideally need a mosfet so you don't burn trigger contacts, you then usually need to either lighten the piston, short stroke it, or put in a bigger spring. Failing o do this can cause pre engagement, that will cause a stripped piston at best. worst case scenario, piston sticks, rips off teeth from sector gear jams gearbox, you hen keep pulling the battery killing the motor or melting the wire and destroying the lipo.
                    I know this as my first upgrade was to attempt to get higher rof out. I ended up destroying a piston and about 3 sets of gears before I got it right.

If you are set on doing the work your self make sure you sorbothane the cylinder head, shave off the last tooth on the piston possibly part of the second to get the perfect AOE start off with a plastic piston then if you get it wrong you ruin the piston not the gears, motor, wiring. remove the bearing from the piston head and get a spring guide with a bearing on. you want your piston to be light so it moves forward quickly and is home before the gears pick it up again. It takes trial and error to get it perfect but its worth it in the end. If you plan on going above 25rps get a secor delay chip, it keeps the nozzle back for a slight extra amount of time and keeps the gun feeding niely.

I have 30 ish rps from my m4 with a 11.1. 340fps and a standard gear set. its not crazy high buy you get through a high cap in a few seconds.
                    Using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Really appreciate the help.
                      The 11.1 came with the gun and after much research people were using 11.1s straight off so i thought id try. The 7.4 was my main use untill i ran out and the 11.1 was a last resort kinda jobbie.
                      iv also had some people say that the ares electronic fire control has a built in mofset... but nothing in, what i would call, hard evidence.

It is going to a gun tech this week to carry it out professionally along with a hydro dip to spice things up a bit. I hope all will be well when she comes back.

Again, very much appreciate all of your information and when i win the lottery this week you shall get a little bit (fingers crossed)

Comment

Originally posted by Moonmoose View Post
                        Thanks for all the advice. Really appreciate the help.
                        The 11.1 came with the gun and after much research people were using 11.1s straight off so i thought id try. The 7.4 was my main use untill i ran out and the 11.1 was a last resort kinda jobbie.
                        iv also had some people say that the ares electronic fire control has a built in mofset... but nothing in, what i would call, hard evidence.

It is going to a gun tech this week to carry it out professionally along with a hydro dip to spice things up a bit. I hope all will be well when she comes back.

Again, very much appreciate all of your information and when i win the lottery this week you shall get a little bit (fingers crossed)
                        It has to have some form of mosfet in the system to use the fire control unit. So no need to worry about that. Ares have a reputation of being hit and miss. I'm sure with a few new parts and a little tinkering you'll have it back up and running nicely again.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Moonmoose Playing since 2010. Mixture of guns and load out over the years. Find out more about Moonmoose
                        Working...
                        X