V3 gearbox locking up with piston one tooth from release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V3 gearbox locking up with piston one tooth from release

Hi. I'm usually pretty au fait with gearboxes, but this one has got me scratching my head and I thought I'd put it out there for some thoughts. See if anyone can save me some trial and error time.

I lent my Marui MP5K to a mate, and unfortunately there was a BB jam, and being new to airsoft, he fired quite a few more shots thinking it was the mag not feeding. We cleared the jam, and then it continued to shoot for about 1 more midcap before locking up.

When I got it home I took a look, saw the piston was nearly all the way back, and assumed that the story was simply that back pressure had made the piston pick up on the wrong tooth of the sector gear, so without taking the gearbox apart, I simple released the anti reversal latch and reassembled. No joy, still locked up, even with the piston all the way forward.

Second effort was taking the gearbox apart and having a look. I checked the action of everything and it looked fine. Put it all back together, pulled the trigger and it fired one shot and then jammed again. This is wierd to me, that if there was a problem it even fired that one shot.

So before I take another look, what should I try? One of my thoughts is maybe the strain of shooting while jammed has weakened the motor? I have some torque motors I could try in it (intriguingly I see the mp5k uses a long shaft motor in a v3 gearbox) but I'm not sure if just trying to brute-force the gearbox to cycle is my best next step.

Re: V3 gearbox locking up with piston one tooth from release

And fixed! Always worth a closer look, had this out and back in twice before I spotted this on the third time around, have cleaned the whole thing looking for the missing tooth but I guess that has fallen out somewhere.

Comment

Re: V3 gearbox locking up with piston one tooth from release

Even the best of us miss thing's eventually .

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Figjam Find out more about Figjam
      Working...
      X