Motor Height Correct - Noisy Gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Height Correct - Noisy Gearbox

Hey guys! Are some motors simply noisier than others?

My WE aeg is pretty much brand new. It was noisey, so I cracked open the gearbox and checked the shimming and motor height. The shimming was pretty much spot on, no slop and very little movement but still free-spinning.

Checked the motor height with just the bevel gear in, gearbox both open and closed. Adjusted it slightly, it's spot on.

Result? Basically the same. The rifle is stock other than a new bucking. Thoughts?

Re: Motor Height Correct - Noisy Gearbox

Your motor is likely fine, run it outside the gearbox and it should be almost silent. Most airsoft gears are just noisy. If they are helical they will be quieter.

Think like your car, reverse gears are typically straight cut gears, which is why they are noisy and whine as you move. As you move from first and up the gears become more helical and the angle of the teeth becomes more extreme resulting in a smoother and quieter gearbox.
    King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
    https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
    www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Thanks for the reply Crasstod. I considered the fact that they are brand new gears and as they break in the running should get smoother. Only gun I've had that was this noisy was a new JG P90, but there was no shimming at all. When I shimmer it things quietened down a lot.

Comment

Like I said some gears are just noisy by their nature. My old old old Classic Army G36 was horrendous... mind you they were still trying to figure out metal gears back then!
        King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
        https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
        www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

They are steel gears, which I would assume would be noisier anyway. A mate has a WE 446, but he had new gears fitted when he bought it so I can't compare.

Comment

Gear noise is such a random thing, so many little factors contribute. Not airsoft, but an interesting nugget that's always stuck in my head none the less: the old windmill near me has wooden gear teeth that are apple wood meshing to sycamore (iirc) throughout, because in the old days they found that combination made the least noise.

Anyway...

Comment

Did you shim the bevel gear in accordance with the pinion? And have you checked motor alignment?
              Failing this, some brands of pinion gears have different teeth profiles and therefore will not mesh best with TM spec gears. ICS, G&G, SRC and ZCI spring to mind but there are many others.
              dsgdreamteam

Comment

I personally shim from the bevel so I can get the smoothest meeting between the bevel and pinion, always had the best results this way. As I said, I haven't shimmer this box, WE Europe do it as part of the QC process, but it seemed spot on to me, and they are also the stock WE steel gears. They seems very high quality for stock gears as well.

Comment

I checked the motor wasn't jammed up in the grip, free to move in and out.
                  http://youtu.be/EZJpFb4k518

Edit: Okay, so this doesn't sound a million miles apart from mine. Skip to the 4:30 mark...
                  http://youtu.be/TJ0JfFfOMYw
                  Guess I might just be a little paranoid huh peeps?
                  Last edited by RitchieTheBrit; 16 February, 2015, 21:53.

Comment

mine sounds the same, its fine
                    AMY WINEHOUSE R.I.P

G&P Silver M14 EBR Cheap
                    http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...om-going-cheap

Comment

Cheers Beef. This may end up being my first helical rifle then! My P90 and M4 stubby are whisper quiet compared to this. The gears may bed I'm slightly after a thousand rounds or so.

Comment

Hmm, If you are sure that the shimming is right, id check the motor alignment. It definately sounds too loud.
                        dsgdreamteam

Comment

Like I said, the motor has no undue pressure on it, the base plate aligns nicely and its free to move perpendicular to the gearbox. It's very odd! I'm going to write it off as a 'just one of those things' until I see evidence of excessive wear, heat or anything indicative of an issue.

Comment

Do both wires run up the rear of the pistol grip behind the motor? Just moving the +ve wire from in front to behind the motor made a significant reduction in motor noise on my M4...

Some gear-sets are just noisy. My M4 is a case in point, though I know this is due to the fact that I cannot lower my bevel gear any further into the case as it collides with the wall of the gearbox case. I built an SR47 gearbox for a friend with the same gears/motor and there is practically no gear noise at all because I used a different gearbox shell.
                            Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Yeah, WE had it routed correctly, and I always run mine up the back. Guess I'll just grin and bare it, cheers Dave.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

RitchieTheBrit Ex-squaddie, graphic designer, guy who keeps tripping over. Find out more about RitchieTheBrit
                              Working...
                              X