Constant gearbox lock-ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constant gearbox lock-ups

I recently bought a second hand CA M41 with a prometheus m100 spring installed in it and it locked-up right out of the box. Just made a tapping sound and the wires would get hot. A fully charged nimh and a half-charged lipo couldn't turn the motor and they've never had problems on my other AEGs. A fully charged Lipo managed to get it firing but it would still instantly go back to not cycling if I used any of my other batteries.

Is this fixable? I'm pretty sure CA guns aren't lipo-ready and I'm worried the strain the spring (assuming it's not a weak motor) is putting on the internals. Reliability is my primary desire in guns.

Re: Constant gearbox lock-ups

If its 7.4 lipo it will be fine.

Sounds like something isnt correct in the gun, check tge shimming and aoe.

Has it got both wires behind the motor?
    FOR SALE
    7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
    , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Comment

Sounds like a weak motor is probably the issue. Only other culprit could be over shimming or possibly motor adjustment.

M100 shouldn't a problem for any motor to pull really. At least its not pre engagement, or an actual lockup, as you can still turn it over.

Try a different motor first.

Comment

Wiring seems fine. Playing with the motor height didn't change anything.

If I transplant a motor from my KA Sig to this gun and it still can't cycle, does that leave the shimming as the only option?

Comment

Swapped motors, same problem :/.

Comment

One of the Pistons teeth could have come off and jammed it happened to me before but my mates gun had the same signs and the wires had got caught on the side of the motor and it would just click and the motor and wires would get hot

Comment

Check the routing of your wires in the grip. If they are forcing the motor to an odd angle it can jam the pinion and spur gear. My brothers had this issue. It would fire with the motor base plate removed, the base plate was slightly misaligning the motor.

Comment

If you have a multimeter I'd make sure the wiring isn't 'leaking' to the shell. As the spring has been changed I'd check the shimming, then the spring - is there bearing piston and spring guides (length issue). I've seen madbull yellow pistons jam in a vfc shell so that's another thing to check too.
                Last edited by richw; 14 March, 2015, 09:46. Reason: typo

Comment

Another good way to check internals is to remove the main spring, ensure the piston is fully forward and the gears are in a neutral position, and reassemble.

You should then be able to start a full cycle by poking a cocktail stick into the gearbox and turning the bezel gear. It'll take a while, but the piston should get picked up and moved to the rear with no resistance.

If you can feel it starting to name up half way through the cycle, you have an idea where the jam could be occurring. Somethting to check is that your gears haven't got bent shafts. This can cause resistance part way through a cycle.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

temp89 Find out more about temp89
                  Working...
                  X