LiPo Storage in HK416 - Risky, much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LiPo Storage in HK416 - Risky, much?

It's my intention to rear-wire this eventually but as yet I'm undecided on what stock I'll use as there's no accurate replica yet produced of the current issue E1/E2 battle stock (if indeed that's what UKSF are using?...).

The VFC GBB version looks like it'll come with the E1 (I think) so it will also likely be produced as a spare. Anyway, I digress...

Now, I'm no electrician and electricals have always phased me as a rule (no pun intended there ). This set-up is using a 1200maH 7.4v split-cell Lipo as nothing else I can see available will fit in this particular RIS.

If there are smaller (thinner) 'bladed' Li-Pos, do please let me know.

It's tight as a gnat's chuff in there and the CNC'd RIS is razor sharp and will potentially slash your wires. From the 'underside' pic below, it looks as if there's bags of room for the connector but due to the cruciform inner shape, you really only have millimetres to play with

I've had to remove the issued fuse unit and forego the battery alarm. A 1200 LiPo should last the best part of a day though so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

The main downside is that this set up is fiddly at best (and damaging at worst) so the LiPo will have to take up permanent residence in there, removing the RIS in order to charge periodically. This is one Li-Po that I really don't want to go nuclear!

Is it wise to store/charge Li-Pos in an AEG (unconnected of course)?

I tried this in the reverse config of that shown below but the batteries and wiring/connectors etc just refused to play ball. So, I'm going have to lose the view of the frankly gorgeous barrel stamps. You can't see the gas parts when the RIS is on anyway no loss there.

So, here's the final config. As mentioned, it's tight in there and you have to exercise extreme caution or you'll slice your wires wide-open or sever them completely when fitting the RIS back on. VFC have made the RIS unit fit with 'tenth of a millimetre' tolerances.

Re: LiPo Storage in HK416 - Risky, much?

Good question.

In answer, I'm using a 7.4v lipo in my AA R85A1, and I just leave it in there until it needs charging. In fact I have often left it plugged in for more than a week; and it's been fine. I've never charged one whilst it's sat in the AEG - but would do so - it's just that the balance lead is too short!

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

do see any probelm with soring them in a gun at all, if they are to go bang which is doubtfull then where they are wont make a difference. just keep them in place as you ave done and when charging just do it slowly ie less than 1A, im never in a hurry to charge so i just let them go slowly, pretty much all the anecdotal material on liposions is during the harge part, and that would be rc people doing fast charging mostly.

edit make your ballance lead longer! or an extension then, will save soo much hassle taking it out to charge heheh :p
      back in the game after 12 months away!

Comment

Cheers.

I always charge at 0.2A anyway.

Comment

good for you ! :P
          back in the game after 12 months away!

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
            Cheers.

I always charge at 0.2A anyway.
            That must take aaaagggeeeesssss.

I mean, mine get a slow charge every now and again, but more recently at 500mAh instead of 250.
            Altus Volo Mugio Extraho

Comment

I tend to find the slower you balance-charge it, the better balance you get.

Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Panoptes Gunnoisseur [n] pron: ['gun-uh-sur', -soor'] [Purveyor of fine taste in firearms]. Find out more about Panoptes
              Working...
              X