Should bushings move laterally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should bushings move laterally

I've swapped out my bearings for 8mm Lonex Bushing on my G&P v2 gearbox - the bearings were really wide and didn't allow space for the selector switch in the CA m15 body.

Should the bushings move laterally (towards each other)? When i say move, we're talking about 1-2 mm max. Should i push them out with extra shims or use a bit of threadlock or similar?

I don't think they rotate in the shell but can't be 100% as it was getting late last night.

TIA

Rich

Re: Should bushings move laterally

Reshim when you fit new bushings, you should minimise lateral movement but leave the gears spinning freely.

Some people also glue them in place, but I've never been a fan of that idea.

Comment

Cheers.

I'll add more shims to remove any play in the bushings and see how that goes.

Comment

I would use locktight to hold them in as well as a re shim ,if they can rotate they will wear the softer metal of the gearbox casing slowly enlarging the holes they fit in and ruining the gearbox.

Comment

Originally posted by dadio View Post
          I would use locktight to hold them in as well as a re shim ,if they can rotate they will wear the softer metal of the gearbox casing slowly enlarging the holes they fit in and ruining the gearbox.
          Good point. I've never had loose bushes before in all honestly. They usually take a little persuading to fit!

Comment

Originally posted by RitchieTheBrit View Post
            They usually take a little persuading to fit!
            Alright show-off :p

Comment

Originally posted by rj1986 View Post
              Alright show-off :p
              Hahaha! What can I say?

Comment

Well i put the threadlock on, reshimmed, dropped it in the gun, and pulled the trigger.

Made more problems. Safe wont engage, and the motor made a noise but now just hums. Need to drop it back out and have another look. I suspect the 2 are related to each other.

Comment

When you checked your shimming, were you tightening the screws on the gearbox? Sounds like the gears could be nipping.

As for safe mode, try moving the selector plate without the gearbox installed. Hold it forwards and squeeze the trigger. If it still moves, you haven't assembled correctly. Is not, then your change lever and select tor plate aren't marrying up in the lower correctly.

Comment

Virtual pint for you.

The gears were just catching a bit, so i took a 0.1-0.2mm shim off each one and ran fine.
                    Also sorted the safe by adjusting the lever arm up a few degrees - but then had trouble in semi auto and locking after every 4-5 shots until a full auto burst unlocked it - i suspect the cut off arm was done up too tight/loose as i cleaned and reinstalled that and that cured it.

Fixed that, but in doing that, i must've moved the arm again as it wasn't engaging safe (again). I need to chrono it and i suspect put in a lower powered spring anyway, so i'll kill 2 birds with one stone when i need to crack it open again.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

rj1986 Find out more about rj1986
                    Working...
                    X