Calculating FPS with upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating FPS with upgrades

How do you go about calculating eventual FPS when you're adding both a tightbore and a spring?

I'm about to add a Prommy 6.03mm and a Guarder SP120 spring to my HK416 (363mm). It's currently firing at 319fps - will these two push it over 381fps?

It currently has a stock barrel and, I'm assuming, a stock 1J spring.

Re: Calculating FPS with upgrades

what is your original spring??

are you sure you want to use that barrel in your HK416? you need to change a full sized cylender. the long length barrel could cause a lot of trouble.
    sigpic

Comment

Coke can test

Comment

I assume the above is a joke

I'm pretty sure I heard the Guarder springs are stronger than other makes, so that M120 might give more of a kick that you expect.

As a guesstimate, my M105 with 6.03 madbull 363mm was giving 350 - 355. Barrel compression should be the same. So with that M120 you'll be up there in 370-380 I'd think.

As you know, the FPS isn't really a factor in performance. So I'm assuming anything from 360 to 380 would be acceptable?

Comment

Original spring as stated is 1J (stock).

Why do I need to change the cylinder? Never had to before on any other AEG (and they all hit far and hard).

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
            As you know, the FPS isn't really a factor in performance. So I'm assuming anything from 360 to 380 would be acceptable?
            Yeah, I'll be aiming for around that mark.

I've seen figures for tightbores giving 10-15 'something' - is that figure '%' or extra fps?

I guess an SP120 = +20% on fps?

Comment

experience.. failing that, try it and see method.

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
                I assume the above is a joke
                I'm pretty sure people know my feelings on coke can tests by now...

Pan, if you don't mind me asking, why 381fps?

Tightbores are about 10-18fps. Ive got a 6.03 tightbore in the Sopmod, and it did 11-13fps increase. But also fitted a new spring at the same time...

Comment

Originally posted by richardy View Post
                  experience.. failing that, try it and see method.
                  Of course, but I'd like to minimise the times I have to open up the gearbox, re-close, reassemble, open up, re-close, reassemble. It all takes its toll. getting it right first time saves a lot of grief.

Originally posted by hoggy21 View Post
                  Pan, if you don't mind me asking, why 381fps?
                  I always aim for the legal limit then it settles down nicely to around 360 ish after a while.

Tightbores are about 10-18fps. Ive got a 6.03 tightbore in the Sopmod, and it did 11-13fps increase. But also fitted a new spring at the same time...
                  So you reckon I should be on the nail with the 120 and the TB then (from stock 319fps)?

Comment

Well 319 adding the tightbore will bring you up to anywhere between roughly 329 - 337, and thats just roughly. You using .20?

God this is playing devils advocate! I dont want to say something, and it be wrong, and then get into trouble for telling you it was a fact!

Try the 120, but have a 110 just incase it seems to be a bit OTT. Once bedded in i cant see a problem. And where do you play that allows a 360fps gat?

Comment

We allow 380 - right up to the legal limit. Keeps you on your toes!

It's a private, MoD only site.

Cheers.

Comment

i put my vote for an sp110 and a promy barrel..

m rule - 110 x 3.3 + 10 for the barrel = 373 fps..

you could go more and apply a lot of hop up... it will usually bring it down incrementaly the more spin you add.

Comment

Damn. Just realised 110 = 110mps. :eek: Always thought Guarder's system meant: 100% (of 1J) +10%. Ah!..... Nice one, thanks. Yeah, the 120 and TB would probably be mental (406fps) as I think this baby's got a good airseal... so 110 it is (373 approx with the barrel).

Comment

Guarders have been known to be a little stronger, but id still stick with the rule... its gunna be ruffly what you want.. at least your somewhere near..

Let us know how it goes

Comment

I was thinking a 120 would be a teeny bit hot.

Can i play? :p I only ask because im moving away from GZ, due to work commitments! Where's it at? PM me when you get the time!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Panoptes Gunnoisseur [n] pron: ['gun-uh-sur', -soor'] [Purveyor of fine taste in firearms]. Find out more about Panoptes
                              Working...
                              X