help wiring mosfet -> micro switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help wiring mosfet -> micro switch

As title says. V2 ares gb with microswitch. Its a firestorm systems mosfet. Double wired it as per insturctions but when i tested it on a motor, has no effect (motor continues spinning regardless of switch press). Lost at this point.
    Oderint Dem Metuant

Re: help wiring mosfet -> micro switch

Back to basics.....

The signal wire is most likely at fault

You are likely supplying a constant positive signal back to fet eg taking a live point to fet rather than a switched live

Test the switch points with a multimeter or bulb or anything. You seem to have a permanent live signal running to fet I would say

Comment

This is how its wired. Afaia microswitches are live til switched (trigger releases switch). I wired the +&- to same terminals as previous wiring so im confused

Key I= 16awg wire *=24awg signal wire := space

Battery
      + ::::: -
      I:::::::I
      I:::::::I
      I:::::::MOSFET
      I:::::::*:::::::::::::I
      I:::::::*:::::::::::::I
      ***Switch :::I
      I::::::::::::::::::::::I
      I::::::::::::::::::::::I
      I::::::Motor:::::I
      Oderint Dem Metuant

Comment

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=jakeno

Also check that it isn't powering on with the switch disconnected.
        dsgdreamteam

Comment

If you have the manual for the mosfet, it contains the wiring diagrams; if you don't have it, it is on their website. It might just be worth checking that you have wired it up properly.

Comment

Think his problem is down to Ares and its switch setup.....

electronic malarky and there seem to be more than one version - old/new ???

6 pin connector - http://www.airsoft-military-news.com...014/08/a28.jpg

8 pin connector - http://www.airsoftnews.eu/images/big/ares-el-m4-041.jpg
            (burst fire ???)

now at the back me thinks the posi is permanently live as it may have a fet in there and the Negative is switched (npn mosfet)
            (note this applies to the wires at rear - what red you see is permanent posi)
            so that might explain why it is just full on firing

But 99% they would of had a posi signal turning on/off the npn fet at that microswitch
            alas the red wire you tapped into is the perm live feed to motor - not signal

https://nlairsoft.com/images/phocaga...recision-3.jpg

the red in pic is perm feed to motor - not signal
            the other wires is negative in/out on fet

bloody Ares, now what might help is you post a few pics and explain if it has/had mosfet or burst malarky
            a test meter is going to be needed to probe the positive signal wires I would say
            but slightly concerned if you are trying to put in another fet in there ???

soz for links if this is not allowed but it is important to show where the headache might be happening
            testmeter & ibuprofen might come in handy btw

it should be do-able but will need some pics and some probing - ooh er missus
            tbh if you had a fet in there I would of considered leaving it
            or maybe if faulty it could of been replaced with a Kong burst fet if your burst ares fet went pear shape

gis some pics coz I'm just as confused as the rest of them and there is more than just one electro malarky trigger setup it seems

Comment

I think you misunderstand. It literally had a basic microswitch trigger, not one of these with pins. I wied it exactly like this picture only the trigger is one of these.

So im stumped. Thank you for replying i appreciate the help
              Oderint Dem Metuant

Comment

right - ok, my bad for thinking it was an electronic box....

now test the fet to rule out agro - the signal wire just needs a posi jolt from battery or posi lead on motor
                and she should fire on demand....

fet ok then it is the switch or wiring....

the other thing is most switches have 3 connection points:

common, NO (normally open) & NC (normally closed)

which means the switch is either permanently on - push to break/open circuit
                or permanently off - push to close/turn on/complete circuit
                but the switch worked ok before so I doubt if the wiring on the switch itself is incorrect or doubt if the switch is boned
                (though running lipo or higher juice will melt microswitches very quickly)

assuming the fet is ok, the switch functions as a NO & works correctly when pulled
                Then it must simply be a wiring error or short somewhere - can't see it being anything else

daft question - but the signal wire & supply to switch is on exact same points but different terminals of switch???
                (placing them on same terminal will leave it running all time - only time this is used when using existing posi leads with signal on other terminal)

have used both methods depending on gearbox and how much room inside & front/rear wired plus whatever mood I'm in
                though if rewiring I like to do is as direct to motor - switch having a seperate 22awg supply to switch & signal back to fet
                but it depends on what I feel best and room avaliable inside a v2 box unless I start up that wonderful adjustment tool - my dremmel
                Last edited by Sitting Duck; 26 November, 2015, 11:47. Reason: bad spelling and not everybody speaks duck

Comment

ere soz for link but is this your gearbox ???

http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32414

Comment

Yes if not its the closest match ive seen. Trigger mech is identical to that hence why im assuming its an ares gb

Edit; just saw the longer post and ill give it a read in a bit when im not working. I followed the diagrams supplied on firestorm systems webpage for its mosfet. I dont have great knowledge (obviously) on electronics and in just dabbling. So far going a bit shitty
                    Oderint Dem Metuant

Comment

also - especially if rear wired gearbox...
                      be careful the tiny small gearbox taper pin hasn't punched through any wires and created a short
                      only real idiots have done that (I quietly half raise my right arm to that one after checking nobody is looking )

Comment

I will post picture of my wiring tonight and let you see if ive derped. I followed the instructions and like i said, permenant circuit regardless of switch pressing (pretty sure the swith is depressed for off, pulling trigger releases it to normally open)
                        Oderint Dem Metuant

Comment

This is what I mean about 2 switch connections:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VkwbK9XzNH...minator-05.jpg

common or com
                          then the nc or no dictates if switch is on or off at rest

but I think if it is a bare switch no extra bits then it should of been wired to NO
                          so that circuit complete when trigger pulled

if you wired to NC it would be firing moment you connect battery and stop when you pulled trigger - breaking circuit

plus it must of been wired to NO in the first place I'm 99.999999999999999% sure

if she is firing no matter what then that is a short - either wiring - 99% likely
                          or 1% the switch has broke and permanently on - or you wired both supply+signal to same contact

but yeah a few pics would help loads and 101% clear run down of fault from moment battery is connected - does she fire straight away

worse case scenario might be replacement microswitch from maplin or RS or Farnell or others (fleabay)
                          but think it is some odd short - even a blob of solder or if too eager with soldering iron melted the switch a bit causing a short

This is all guesswork so please chuck some pics up

plus test out fet with a thin posi lead from battery to fet's signal
                          just a thin bit of wire will do - only needs a ultra low amp jolt to test if fet is working properly
                          (could be a short on fet when the thicker wires were soldered to the pcb - so test this also)

Comment

here is what i have at the moment

im positive the trigger releases the button on the microswitch when you pull it. I cant work on it whenever i want so atm im trying to solve the problem before i get a chance to have another go
                            Oderint Dem Metuant

Comment

Check that you aren't getting a circuit with the switch un-soldered. It would be best to rule out any possibility if a short based failure by isolating the entire wiring loom from the gun and running a direct simulation of the electrical setup out of the gun (battery, MOSFET, Motor) and then manually connect the trigger wires to see if there is a fault.
                              dsgdreamteam

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

airsoc audio tech/musician/avid gamer and handy man Find out more about airsoc
                              Working...
                              X