Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing metal body on M4?

Hi there,

I hope to swap the plastic body in my JG M4 carbine for a metal one in the near future and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good one that would fit?
    I don't know if any old metal body would fit my particular gun.

Is there anything else i would need to change out/swap, in order to fit the metal body and is it a tricky procedure?

I know these questions must seem quite "nooby" to you guys but i would appreciate the advice.

cheers
    Ben
    sigpic

Re: Installing metal body on M4?

I have two Jg M4's and if i wanted to put a metal body on one i would need the following.
    1 piece hop up unit
    New M4 outer barrel.
    Delta ring.

I think that's it =/
    Hate.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his

General George S.patton

Dboys AK74U with Samson rail (y)

Comment

it really depends on the model. I had a JG M4 S-System and that would have needed a new front end too.

A one piece hop is a definite, i'd personally go for an element one piece plastic. Cheap and as it sounds like your first venture in to the inside of a gun not gonna be too much of a waste if you change your mind. I know there will be people who will cringe at me saying that but i had one and an Element 455mm 6.04 barrelin my S-System and it was scoped in accurate at 75 feet.

I currently have a D-Boys M4A1 (I think) front end bolted to my G&P M4 with a Larue 7" RIS and it fits a treat, no wobble at all.

Can't imagine the JG front end is that different to D-Boys, i'd think they are both cloned from the same source.
      Smiffy
      G&P SR-25 CA M14 WE 1911

If we have traded and i haven't left feedback feel free to remind me by PM.

Just 'cause i'm online doesn't mean i'm sat at my computer, i could actually be doing some work for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by MDKsmiffy View Post
        it really depends on the model. I had a JG M4 S-System and that would have needed a new front end too.

A one piece hop is a definite, i'd personally go for an element one piece plastic. Cheap and as it sounds like your first venture in to the inside of a gun not gonna be too much of a waste if you change your mind. I know there will be people who will cringe at me saying that but i had one and an Element 455mm 6.04 barrelin my S-System and it was scoped in accurate at 75 feet.

I currently have a D-Boys M4A1 (I think) front end bolted to my G&P M4 with a Larue 7" RIS and it fits a treat, no wobble at all.

Can't imagine the JG front end is that different to D-Boys, i'd think they are both cloned from the same source.
        Smiffy
        Nope i have two Jg M4's one being the old type and the other the 09 version and they both have the same body build which sucks.

Heres some pictures
        (ok well i lost he other half of them -.-)

Basicly the lower part is fine its like all the others.
        the upper is in two halfs which fix onto the outer barrel by some little lugs and some tiny screws. The delta ring just slips onto the barrel and just stays there.
        The upper rail slides onto the upper body via some lugs which can snap off if put under to much stress (happened to me with my S-system making it useless) Then finally screwed down into the outer barrel.

I hope the pics help but they were taken on my webcam just under a year ago =/
        Hate.
        "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his

General George S.patton

Dboys AK74U with Samson rail (y)

Comment

hehe it sounds quite complicated
          sigpic

Comment

simple solution is to sell your plastic body gun and buy one with a metal body
            its great fun to tinker but you can have all manor of issues with it when its done

i have seen some at skirmishes - never work right

can spoil a day out if it does not work right

just my opinion

Comment

Well if I were you I'd avoid the Dboys bodys. I've had nothing but trouble with them, so not really worth the hassle.

I recently got myself a rare metal body utilising the two piece hop design - now I didn't like this but as I sourced a 2 piece hop cheap enough I wasn't bothered. They can be a touch better than the one piece's in some respects too. The reason for me going for the body is it's got engraved markings as well as "burst" on the selector; it was my idea to get an M16 and basically have it as per the real deal.

If you're going to get a metal body, there's often lots for sale second hand on these forums going from about £20 upwards; I know that UKAZ has a G&P US Air Force has one up for sale for £29.

So if your gun is the two piece hop design, you could encounter a couple of problems. If it's the one piece then it's fine (as most metal body kits are suited to the one piece design).

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

I put a classic army M15A4 body on my JG M16 a while ago. All it needed was a 1 piece hopunit. No new barrel or delta ring.

Comment

I like CGBully's idea of buying a metal bodied gun, but then again, i also like the idea putting a metal body on my own gun because then i can say to myself, yeah, I did that. I like to work on things and, I suppose, take pride in the finished product.

It's just that by the looks of some of your comments it seems that a slight error could result in significant problems internally.

Abbadon101, you seem to be one of the lucky ones :D
                  sigpic

Comment

just because you buy a new metal bodied gun doesn't mean you don't get to tinker. I can't stop, even if its working absolutely fine

Smiffy
                    G&P SR-25 CA M14 WE 1911

If we have traded and i haven't left feedback feel free to remind me by PM.

Just 'cause i'm online doesn't mean i'm sat at my computer, i could actually be doing some work for a change.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Scarecrow9 Names Ben, currently doing an apprenticeship in aeronautical engineering, living life and having fun Find out more about Scarecrow9
                    Working...
                    X