I Hope You Don't Mind Me Asking....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Hope You Don't Mind Me Asking....

I want to service the G/box in my G&G raider...while I'm in there I may as well upgrade it a bit, It's shooting at 290fps at the moment which I'd like to up to 330ish. Accuracy wise it is spot on, .28 on chest size target at 50m. I would like to up the ROF to 20ish. This will be the 1st time that I've worked on an aeg..what do you guys recommend?

Re: I Hope You Don't Mind Me Asking....

so your gun is chronoing with 0.28 gram bbs at 290fps?

if that is correct your gun is giving out 1.09 joules of energy, if you convert 1.09 joules of energy into a .20gram bb you will have an fps of 342fps,in reality you can not take your airsoft gun much higher without the risk of it being too hot and dangerous

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.coderedairsoftpark.com/pages/park-rules-and-hours/fps-calculator.php
    VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
    trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

It won't need a service (in all likely hood).

G&G gearboxes are very good and unless broken you should leave well alone, what you might think is an upgrade is actually going to downgrade it, not because the theory is wrong but because unless you're experienced tech you'll probably make it worse, not better and you'll probably make problems that will need fixing, that currently doesn't.

If you want to improve it, things you could/should look at is a new motor, high torque for trigger response or a good quality tightbore or some new high quality hop rubbers.
      sigpic

Comment

Sorry should have said it's shooting 290fps on .20, someone else suggested just using it till it breaks, it already has a zc1 tightbore barrel and I'm happy with the range and accuracy. Would a better motor increase the ROF? Or would I need different gears?

Comment

Originally posted by lazybike View Post
          I want to service the G/box in my G&G raider...while I'm in there I may as well upgrade it a bit, It's shooting at 290fps at the moment which I'd like to up to 330ish. Accuracy wise it is spot on, .28 on chest size target at 50m. I would like to up the ROF to 20ish. This will be the 1st time that I've worked on an aeg..what do you guys recommend?
          Hi

Your G&G Raider is doing 290FPS using 0.28g BBs, that clocks in at 1.09 Joules of energy, an equivalent energy on a .20g BB would mean you are shooting at around 340 to 345FPS.

If you were to push your AEG to 330FPS using 0.28g BBs, you will be looking at a joule energy of 1.4 which is way too hot for nearly all UK fields unless you are going the DMR route.

Just type into Google "FPS Calculator" or something

I personally would say leave the gun alone, if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it.

If you want to tinker with an AEG I would recommend you get yourself a cheap AEG or maybe a broken decent one for cheap and tinker with that to make it work again and upgrade it, that way if you break it, it was either cheap enough that it would hurt you financially or it was already broken, it cannot be made more broken.

If your dead set, you want to upgrade the gun then here is what I would upgrade in your gun:
          Change hop up rubber and bucking
          • What will I need: new hop up rubber and bucking, tools to push through the holding pins.
          • Push through the holding pins, separate lower from upper receivers, remove hop up chamber, take it apart, change the rubbers around, and reassemble
          • Outcome; the G&G Green hop up rubber is actually pretty good, you should only change it if it needs changing, you could invariably (most likely) make you gun worse

Install a tight bore barrel (TBB)
          • What will I need: New TBB, tools to separate lower and upper
          • As above but this time install a new barrel
          • Outcome: you might improve accuracy but it might not be easily noticeable

Change the motor:
          • What will I need: New motor, tools to open the pistol grip
          • Open the bottom plate of the pistol grip, undo the clips from the stock motor, remove stock motor, slide in new motor, attach clips back onto it, close pistol grip base, plug battery in, shoot a few shots whilst turning the adjustment screw at the bottom of the base
          • Outcome: High torque motor = quicker trigger response, High Speed motor = Higher rate of fire

General regreasing of the Gearbox
          • What will I need: The greases as linked below, degreaser, tools to open the gun and gearbox
          • What do I do? Open the gearbox, fully dissemble it so everything is separate, use degreaser ( http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=2395 ) on the gearbox shell, gears, piston and cylinder. Use a clean tooth brush to get in all the nooks and crannies, then use some white lithium grease ( http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=5448 ) on the gears, piston and piston rails, for the piston head and cylinder use silicone grease ( http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=2390 )
          • Outcome: for the gears it may or may not increase the rate of fire, if it does it will only ever be so slight, but your gear will love you for it, for the piston head and cylinder you should get better air compression so long as you reassemble it correctly, this will up your FPS ever so slightly and make it more consistent in terms of output power.

Shim the gearbox:
          • What will I need: Shims (lots), digital micrometre gauge (very useful to have), tools to open the gun and gearbox, LOT OF TIME
          • If you want to go further first get yourself a large variety of shims ( http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=4361 ), any branded will do as a shim is a shim, then look on YouTube and learn how to shim from the Bevel gear (NOT the Spur gear), couple of things to note, shimming takes time and lots of it if it’s your first time, make sure the bearings or bushing are used in the hole that you are shimming as each and every single one is slightly different. What I mean by this is that if a bearing was for the sector gear in the lower gearbox then only use it there and shim accordingly, each time you add, change or remove a shim, fully close the gearbox, screw it down and spin the gear to make sure that it moves freely and smoothly. Oh and make sure you lube the gears up first as grease makes an every so thin layer which could throw a perfectly non greased shimmed gearbox off meaning you have to start all over again. Each time you open your gearbox make sure all shims go back in the right place, if you change the bearings or gears you will have to re-shim.
          • Outcome: so long as you have done it right the gears should mesh much more smoothly, it could up your rate of fire (only a little again), reduces wear on gears

Change the bearings:
          • What will I need: better bearings, shims (lots), digital micrometre gauge (very useful to have), tools to open the gun and gearbox, LOT OF TIME
          • If you really want to up your rate of fire I recommend changing the bearings from the steel ones or bushings or whatever your gun has to ceramic bearings, this really does up your rate of fire, my G&G TR4-18 (G&Gs take on a HK416) used to fire around 18 rounds per second using an 11.1v LiPo battery, stock gears and motor, having changed to ceramic bearings and shimmed the gearbox my TR4-18 fires around 22 to 24RPS, basically I can make a little laser of BBs at skirmishes. To do this you will have to open your gearbox and change the bearings out, I would recommend you do the shimming with this.
          • Outcome: can significantly up your rate of fire, only caveat is at this time good luck finding some ceramic bearings, I only know of one UK store that sells them and they are out of stock, Zeroin don't do them sadly, also Ceramic bearings are between 4 to 5 times more expensive than steel bearings.

Install a MOSFET
          • What I will need: tools to open your gearbox, possibly a soldering iron, wire cutters/strippers
          • This is very involved, open the gearbox and gun and basically install a mosfet, methods on doing this vary and types of mosfets available vary too, favourite MOSFET is the Gate Electronics PicoAAB ( http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=5378 ), refer to the manual on how to install your chosen MOSFET.
          • Outcome: This will protect your trigger contact and improve your trigger response

Individually each of these upgrades might not do much at all but together they can mount to something, normally I would not upgrade the barrel, hop up, bucking or hop up chamber as out of the box G&Gs hop and barrel are pretty much on point. I would install a MOSFET, ceramic bearings, regrease and shim the gearbox all in one go rather than opening and closing the gun.

Edit
          Just noticed that you said 290FPS using .20g BBs, in that case I would buy a M110 and M100 springs so:
          Change the Spring
          • What will i need: Tools top open gun and gearbox, new Spring (be it a M100 or M110)
          • Open the gearbox and get down to the spring, i would install the M110 first, may be cut off 2 or 3 coils of the end (spring guide end), install that and chrono it, see what you get. Normally i have found a M100 spring gives me around 315 to 320FPS whilst a M110 spring with a few coils would give me 340 to 345FPS, My G&G TR4-18 fires a very consistent 340 to 342FPS at a rate of 22RPS.
          • Alternatively i have seen M105 springs which might hit the sweet spot best.
          • Outcome: you up your FPS speed

Comment

Many thanks for that, I did think about getting a 2nd hand g/box and have a play with that, worse way I'll have a spare box

Comment

Thats probably a better option, just leav ethe hop up stuff alone, i am reliably told G&G guns dont like anything other than stock hop up chambers, dont even think of that ProWin one, i spent a whole evening trying to figure out why i had such poor compression.

Comment

Tbh with a zci 6.02 tb barrel and a bog standard g&g m4 your gun should be firing a lot closer to 350 on 0.2g the fact it isn't suggests you are leaking air somewhere in the hop unit
                VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
                trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

I have checked for air leaks in the hop unit, and it all seems fine, its wrapped with ptfe and I tied the paper test in the mag well, I'm wondering if I've left the spring cocked at some time..

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

lazybike Find out more about lazybike
                  Working...
                  X