G&P M4A3 front wiring connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&P M4A3 front wiring connection

So - I love my M4 to bits. However Ive come across what would appear to be a really stupid design flaw by G&P...

What on earth were they thinking when they made the hole for the wiring so damn small?! Unless Im overlooking something blatantly obvious, every time I want to take the gun apart, I have to cut the battery connector off - otherwise it wont fit through. So my current workaround is these godawful ugly and unprofessional looking chocolate block connectors. The size of the connectors also makes fitting a battery a pain in the ass.

Am I missing something? Is there another way? I want to rewire the gun and maybe fit a MOSFET, however I dont want to cut it off every time I take the gun apart (which I do quite often for barrel cleaning after a skirmish etc). Ive tried to find a connector small enough to fit through the gap G&P have left but I cant find anything, the wires barely fit through as they are, let alone with a connector clamped on them.

Anyone got any ideas? Anyone else got an M4 with this problem?

Re: G&P M4A3 front wiring connection

Its actually very poor design on their part, particularly when you consider how high the stall and current on their M120 motor is :P

For this particular type of model, I have successfully run low profile 16AWG (Alpha MppE) and low profile 2mm bullet connectors (they have same same OD as the alphawire and will fit through the gap).

Those nasty terminals can go straight in the bin
    dsgdreamteam

Comment

I tried bullet connectors, but couldnt find any small enough that theyd actually pass through the gap as they add an extra 1mm or so around the wiring. Ill see if I can get some low profile ones that might fit.

Also thought about dremelling/drilling the hole to make it larger, but its such an awkward angle I cant get anything thatll fit in there

Comment

These are the ones that I have got to work.

If in the case they are still too tight for your gun, then you could remove the other barrel and take material from the underside.
        dsgdreamteam

Comment

Ah I hadnt seen those type, they look like they might fit, theres no crimping/clamp to get in the way if they can be soldered straight on. Cheers! Now to see if they fit!

Comment

Frankly you can get away with not having connectors there but it makes taking things apart more difficult. I have two M4s which are front wired with mosfets but I need to diassemble the entire front end to get the wiring out should I need to.

Comment

Would simple old spade connectors not work ???

I know motor connectors are tiny 2.8mm size

6.3mm connectors might be a bit too big without some modding but maybe 4.8mm sizes might be just about squeeze-able

excuse links delete if not allowed but stuff like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12x-4-8mm-...UbV1vHTrjQt4Ag

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15x-4-8mm-...lb3atEinKx187w

Comment

Originally posted by Plushimo View Post
                Frankly you can get away with not having connectors there but it makes taking things apart more difficult. I have two M4s which are front wired with mosfets but I need to diassemble the entire front end to get the wiring out should I need to.
                That sounds like an utter ballache :P Plus Im not sure how to do it, Ive never needed to take my outer barrel off... from the looks of it, it looks like I need to take the front sight and gas block off as well just to get to the delta ring... which then needs an armourers wrench or some other bodge job tool to remove it, and probably some other stuff needs to be removed too... thats already stacking up to be a lot more effort than simple connectors :P

Originally posted by Sitting Duck View Post
                Would simple old spade connectors not work ???

I know motor connectors are tiny 2.8mm size

6.3mm connectors might be a bit too big without some modding but maybe 4.8mm sizes might be just about squeeze-able

excuse links delete if not allowed but stuff like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12x-4-8mm-...UbV1vHTrjQt4Ag

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15x-4-8mm-...lb3atEinKx187w
                Youd have thought so, but nope! They were the first thing I tried and theyre too girthy (thats what she said!), anything that adds even the slightest hint of extra material around the wire makes it too thick to fit through. The wires as they are are touching the sides of the gap, anything that crimps around the wire makes it too thick to fit.

Im gonna get my hands on some of those micro bullet connectors and give them a go... failing that its gonna be DREMEL TIME.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Tiercel Find out more about Tiercel
                Working...
                X