Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

ICS M4 Shooting All of 5 feet! But feeds perfectly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICS M4 Shooting All of 5 feet! But feeds perfectly?

The other day I removed the D-Ring and The barrel nut to give to a friend after he somehow lost his. I then decided whilst I had the gun apart I might as well clean everything down and re-lubricate everything (this hadn't been done in months so I deemed it necessary) I removed the barrel from the hop up assembly (I find it easier to clean that way) and then I replaced the hop up rubber with a new one because it was so old it had grown some kind of weird substance around it. I also replaced the nub no problem, everything aligned correctly, the O-ring at the front of the hop up in place and the clip to hold it in place is on. I went to test fire the gun and it shot literally 5 feet, it didn't shoot like 5 feet less than it did. The BB's pea'rolled out the barrel.

This gun is so old I have spare parts for everything in it. I replaced the upper gearbox with a second one I use as a backup on game days and it had the same effect (shot about 5 feet), I then continued to replace the hop up (I have a whole second assembly complete with its own rubber) and still had the same effect. I am completely lost as too what it is that is wrong. Every BB feeds they just literally go nowhere. I can assure you there are no rips in the hop rubber or cracks in the air nozzle. Please clever people of the internet help me with this!

Re: ICS M4 Shooting All of 5 feet! But feeds perfectly?

Did you re install the nub in the hopup?

Comment

Yep, I can see the nub through the window in the side and when I turn the wheel I can see it put pressure on the top of the hop rubber and push it down.

Comment

So two different hop units and two different gearboxes (as far as compression is concerned)).. .Curious. The barrel is the common factor. Check that you didn't leave any residue whilst cleaning and that barrel isn't bent downwards. Probably not this as you say it's pea rolling out, implying there's no real fps or hop, rather than being deflected at full fps into the ground. Make sure the hop arm is actually adjusting as you alter the dial. I only say this cause the amount the hop arm extends into the dial (on my AUG for example) means you can reassemble and not notice the arm isn't in the dial groove and thus not adjusting the arm resulting in no hop.

Comment

Start from the start..

Take the barrel out, Check for obstructions in the barrel (will a bb freely pass with the hop wound all the way off?), check for leaks in the hop/barrel assembly, if that's all good, check the interaction between the Gearbox/nozzle > Hop/Barrel, reassemble and check the Gearbox/Barrel interaction again (might be an issue when installed), also check the spring(/packing/what etc.. I've used a lump of foam in my ICS as the metal hop didn't come with a spring)) that pushes the hop unit towards the gearbox is there and working.

If it's not one of those then might be a GB compression issue, but doesn't sound like it from what you described (unless it's a freak coincidence the GB had an issue).

-matt

Comment

Sorry for the slow reply guys, I spent almost all yesterday on my gun and out of the house. I think I have it cracked though. I firstly as instructed checked the barrel, then I took out the hop completely re assembled it and still had the same effect, what I then did was put Teflon tape around my whole hop (to try and keep as much air in as possible). It then shot reasonably well, so I started reducing the amount of tape around the hop until I found that the part the air must be escaping is out of the front (near the clip) what I then did was got an O-ring from the second hop I have and pushed it in so that there was two O-rings not one which now has been working consistently and I think I will look around and get a larger O-ring so I don't have to have two in my hop.
            Thanks for the replies guys, I really thought there would be no way to fix this one!

Comment

Always a solution. Good bit of tinkering

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

roryrocker13 Got into airsoft young. Been playing for around 6 years (as of Jan 2016) first gun was a Well l96. Small tip: dont get a sniper as your first gun. It requires much more patients than you will have and you will find it very hard the first couple of times. Find out more about roryrocker13
              Working...
              X