Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systema Pistons = Rubbish

Just a quick heads up.

Recently fitted a systema gearbox, said gearbox was brand new. Completely stock and shooting at 270 fps so hardly breaking a sweat! However 5000 rounds later this happens (see picture)

Just wanted to give you a heads up. The rest of the internals are fine and work great but the piston appears to be made of cheese not the polycarb they claim.

Put my original tm piston in that's fired 10000s of rounds and still showing no real sign of wear.

Basically systema parts are great with the exception of their Pistons. You have been warned.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Re: Systema Pistons = Rubbish

That's from a discontinued batch, the reason being was that those red pistons were very brittle and was known to break at that point
    VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
    trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Retailer not being massively helpful. Don't see why I should be out of pocket for a defective product. Grrr it's annoying as otherwise the gearbox is awesome!

Last edited by Fizzy; 12 April, 2016, 12:51.

Comment

Systema aeg stuff is not very good. Motors are great but rest is lackluster and iirc systema nolonger makes aeg parts.

Comment

Problem with "some" poly pistons is they make them too light and weak that plastic teeth can shred a little too easily

Also on some so called re-enforced plastic pistons they make the initial pick up tooth way too high. What this can mean is that the pick up tooth catches on sector gear as piston hits home. The pickup tooth is catching at final few millimetres and is being forced upwards slightly but can rise much coz piston rails is keeping it all in place.

Start running higher speed/springs and no wonder why some pistons either strip of pickup snaps off.

Hence now I am going with light full metal rack and ensure I do my homework to ensure I am well safe from PE at reasonable speeds
          (Hopefully he says...)

But yeah, some or certain poly pistons are not worth it
          Some are quite good but SHS poly tooth - no thanks, think dairylea is stronger and more robust...
          SHS blue metal - one of the best light metal rack pistons for aeg's

Comment

Unfortunately this is old news to many and I guess another example of the damage that Facebook has done to the Forums which reflects on the buyers.

The SystemA pistons (old and new) are inherently flawed by design as are the few copies that are still floating around on the market (Guarder, Element clear, Modify). The use of polycarbonate for such application is the bulk of the reason that they fail prematurely, it simply isn't suited for repetitive dynamic loading.
            With these Pistons, No amount of time correcting AoE or reducing weight is going to prevent this from happening to these either.

SystemA parts are generally of extremely high quality, however are not always that well thought out - take the SystemA Turbo/Magnum series - they created a large performance milestone (magnum in particular) when they arrived on the market and many motors followed suit, but the end bell design was very poor and often shorted through causing all number of headaches for many people and damaged battery packs/FETs etc. The reality is now that you can have a motor which is essentially the same internally, without the flaws of the SystemA for a shade of the price.

As for the existing situation, I would Personally forget bothering with the retailer as the chances are that they probably won't fully understand what's happened or why and you may end up with a direct replacement which would be waiting for the problem to happen all over again.
            I would opt for a more durable piston made from Nylon Or Polyacetal with the rear end tooth reinforcement - Prometheus Hard + AoE Correction will likely last you for ever in this particular setup.
            Last edited by sj_asc; 13 April, 2016, 08:59.
            dsgdreamteam

Comment

Good news on two fronts I had already ordered an SHS with all metal teeth which arrived yesterday had eyes on it for another build but should work for time being. Retailer has agreed to send a TM piston that I can replace said defective red systema one with. So win win

Comment

you got solid enclosed box with no window at back so you could use an ultra light pre-swissed shs piston @ 13.5gms:
                http://reapertech.co.nz/images/201532715826955.jpg

or normal blue shs comes in at about 15.7gms and swiss as required for boxes that have the rear windows in them:
                http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1ty9GL...dy-Ver-2-3.jpg

both of them full metal racks come in quite light - lighter than say ASG/Ultimate poly/metal rack pistons (quite heavy for what they are)
                yes no weak point but as long as you stay well within limits and fitted properly should be very durable for a long time

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

SRB Find out more about SRB
                Working...
                X