Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

something shorting out post gearbox rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something shorting out post gearbox rebuild?

Ok so:

G&P M4 front wired V2 gearbox.

Took the GB apart to replace the stock wiring with better stuff (technical term that), put it back together and the second you connect the battery it fires in full auto until you pull the battery out. Took the motor out so it wouldnt wreck the gearbox and tried again, motor spins indefinitely.

Opened the GB back up, cant spot anything obviously wrong. With the GB open and motor held loose in my hand, connect the battery and nothing happens. Pull the trigger and it spins up as it should. Put it back together thinking it was just a one time thing. Pop the battery in to test it, exactly the same thing happens - full auto firing non stop.

This leads me to think something, somewhere has come loose and is short circuiting once the GB shell is closed and pressing on it, but for the life of me I cant figure out where or what it is thats causing the short. Everything is moving fine as it should, the trigger contacts are clean and move freely, no sticky movement or failed springs.

Any ideas? Or a trouble shooting list to try?

Re: something shorting out post gearbox rebuild?

switched related I would of thought
    with box open lay pressure on trigger switch - or the switch trolley is somehow just making contact

presume no mosfet so we are talking about the short happening - very likely at switch area
    I would say the small M4 gearbox pin has punch the feed and return of positive but its front wired so only 1 posi wire is near that pin (along with negative)
    something is deffo shorting the open circuit at switch on a non mosfet gun

if it is a mosfet gun - then the short could be elsewhere but non fetted gun - very likely gotta be at switch area
    there are 2 main types of switches - one needs the copper plate on selector to make contact on both rear prongs
    the other doesn't need or have these - but could fire on safety if arm fails
    either one doesn't matter coz the main contacts are shorting somewhere on non fetted gun somehow, maybe as you close up box the switch gets pinched a bit and the 2 main contacts just touch the trolley contact or themselves ????

a mosfet gun - the short could be anywhere in the supply/signal circuit

deffo sounds like switch area, maybe a on the solder connections or something daft like that, that is where the short is going to take place when all closed up somehow

best of luck

Comment

Re: something shorting out post gearbox rebuild?

Much swearing, tantruming and throwing toys out of the pram later Ive found the problem... where I'd soldered the new wire onto the trigger contacts, it looked flush from the top... but if you looked from flat along the sides, a single strand of wire poked out a nanometer further than the rest... juuuuust enough to touch the outer shell of the gearbox when you put it back on... FML. Filed it down a little and gave it a dab of electrical tape for good measure, problem solved.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Tiercel Find out more about Tiercel
      Working...
      X