Upgrading the AK M249 para

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading the AK M249 para

Hi, iv just got a 2nd hand M249 and I would like to upgrade it. Can anyone recommend upgrade parts and if possible provide links for uk ordering.

I'm looking for reduced ROF but grater range, everything on the M249 is standard at the moment.

Cheers.

Sent with honest intentions

Re: Upgrading the AK M249 para

I had an a&k m249 para for years, it was lots of fun but there are a few issues you might need to over come...

1) The box mag is junk - mine burnt out after 12 months. I bought a MAG branded replacement and that last 30 minutes before the gears started spinning on their axles.

2) Mine are micro switches, you can pick a bag of them up cheap enough online but you have to cut down the activation lever because it's too long. I had a MOSFET programmed especially for the m249 by trigger master, it made a world of difference. It had to be programmed especially as trigger masters needed semi auto to calibrate, the m249 obviously doesn't have that. I highly recommend you fit a basic MOSFET of some sort to save your micro switch if nothing else. I would however recommend you get one with active breaking and battery level monitoring.

3) Get yourself a couple of nice 7.4v lipo's, mine was running on 3500mah 35c turnigy nano tech batteries and they stood up really well to long sustained bursts of fire.

4) Leave the gearbox alone until it breaks. That thing is a work horse. I had no issues in my gearbox and couldn't begin to estimate how many rounds and how much abuse it had. You won't need to open it to fit a MOSFET.

5) Range - I slapped a madbull black Python tight bore in mine, and a madbull red shark hop rubber. I then replaced the hop nub with a cut off piece of internal biro and the range was immense. Quite happily knocking out 50 - 60 meters, on 0.25 ammo.

6) The quick change Spring is awesome, I had mine cut down to a consistent 345fps once it settled in.

I can't really give you a box mag solution - I may have had a couple of lemons, I don't know. I did bypass the rubbish auto wind microphone thing in the a&k box mag and wired it directly into the trigger comms wires on the fet, that might have been a factor in it breaking - never figured out why but you never know.

Hope that helps. I wish I had never sold mine but in the end the box mag issues broke me.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, tbh the mags already been a pain but iv already set about sorting the issue.

This may seem like a silly question but what is the MOSFET? Iv only just started playing the sport and this will be my first real upgraded weapon.

Comment

Your best off reading up on it, essentially there are varying degrees of mosfets. The most advanced being whole electronic trigger units... in lay mans terms some MOSFETs are to an airsoft gun what an basic ECU is to a car. BTC make some excellent, and it could be argued the best electronic trigger units.

At their most basic level they are just a bypass for the mechanical trigger switch - they stop the battery current running directly through the trigger contacts and this burning them out over time. Instead comms wires run to the MOSFET circuit board from the trigger contacts. The battery has another feed into the circuit board and a feed goes out to the motor. If you have very limited understanding of it that's going to be the best I can do I am afraid. It's hard to explain it simply.

You won't be able to get an electronic style trigger for the m249, non exist. A fairly basic MOSFET will do you, and to be fair they are so easy to install on that gun. You have to take the gearbox out but you don't have to open it up. I wouldn't know what to recommend though I'm afraid these days. I think the guy who did trigger master gave it up.

Comment

Cheers, iv put it into servicing so hopefully they will have some recommendations too but thanks for the input. I'll take a look for the MOSFET recommended and see what else I can get.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

danos87 Find out more about danos87
          Working...
          X