Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ares G36 firing about 10ft max problem

Hi

I am really new to the airsoft arena, but I recently acquired a Ares G36 from a friend that was firing eratically (random fps on chrono) from 320-430.
    I did tons of research on here, youtube and google, so decided to strip the gearbox, I managed to strip it, lube everything up, and put it all back together, it all seemed to fit pretty well, however when I fire the weapon now the bb's only 'pop' out about 10ft, there seems to be no compression etc.. so question is, what could be wrong?

I really am stuck on this one, do I need to replace the piston with an upgrade? or is the hop unit possible playing up?
    Appreciate any help here plz!

Re: Ares G36 firing about 10ft max problem

Have you put the tappet plate n nozzle back together properly?

Mate done that once
    FOR SALE
    7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
    , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Comment

yea I double checked everything before putting the casing back together, watched 3 separate vids to make sure it was correct, only problem I seemed to have was a little metal 'selector' type gadget that I wasn't too sure exactly where it should sit, it was located on the opposite side under the gears just below the trigger, 1 of 2 positions, but when pre testing everything seemed to work ok, firing selector was a little stiff at first, but after a few rounds it loosened up nicely, just wont fire far at all now.
      tappet plate also seemed really flimsy to me, but think that's just how its made

Comment

Make sure the port on the cylinder is at the back end of the gearbox, otherwise it will vent a large percentage of the air. Make sure the barrel is clean as obstructions can slow down BBs, but going on you just opening up the GB that's less likely to be it. Also try firing with the hop turned all the way off and then all the way on. If the rubber was sitting too low it could be catching the BB. Again that's less likely but still possible!

Comment

The other week I had a similar problem with my ICS M4. What fixed it for me was taking the hop up apart (completely) and then reassembling it however where the O-ring goes at the front get a second one and put it there. For me it was an issue of losing air through the hop up and having a second O-ring fixed it. Sometimes just reassembling the hop up 4 or 5 times (I know its tedious) can work. I cant see how it would be the piston because if it is completing a full cycle unless the head was completely knackered then it would still fire normally (somewhat). Sometimes very rarely it can be the cylinder and the cylinder head not forward enough in the gearbox casing, once you have the gearbox apart sit the cylinder head on its nub with the cylinder attached and lightly press the cylinder onto the cylinder head to make sure that it is sitting straight and forward in the gearbox. If all else fails what has worked in the past for me is PTFE tape or at least to isolate where air is escaping so you can work on a fix long term.

Comment

Originally posted by roryrocker13 View Post
            The other week I had a similar problem with my ICS M4. What fixed it for me was taking the hop up apart (completely) and then reassembling it however where the O-ring goes at the front get a second one and put it there. For me it was an issue of losing air through the hop up and having a second O-ring fixed it. Sometimes just reassembling the hop up 4 or 5 times (I know its tedious) can work. I cant see how it would be the piston because if it is completing a full cycle unless the head was completely knackered then it would still fire normally (somewhat). Sometimes very rarely it can be the cylinder and the cylinder head not forward enough in the gearbox casing, once you have the gearbox apart sit the cylinder head on its nub with the cylinder attached and lightly press the cylinder onto the cylinder head to make sure that it is sitting straight and forward in the gearbox. If all else fails what has worked in the past for me is PTFE tape or at least to isolate where air is escaping so you can work on a fix long term.
            Thanks for the info - I was looking at the hop up tonight, and noticed that the bb's didn't seem to load correctly (I was hand dropping them in) if I look down the hop up chamber from the magwell the hop unit seems to poke out a bit, which I thought might interfere with the bb's feeding up? Was a bit dubious in stripping the hop up, but think I might try that now after a few youtube sessions :-)

Probablly strip the gearbox again as well to make sure it's all in order.

Comment

Sorry you description seemed to confuse me a little. Do you mean that the hop up isn't sitting correctly forward? I am pretty sure that if you have a spring on the end of your barrel (which you should have) then it should be pressing against the gearbox for the best seal. I never thought, I don't suppose you actually checked you put the spring back in that pushes the hop onto the gearbox did you? I know some peoples guns who haven't shipped with them even though they should have. The spring looks something like this (it can vary from gun to gun):
              http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...97-cropped.jpg

Comment

Hi, sorry if it was confusing, I do that to myself sometimes
                The spring is definitely on the inner barrel and does push the hop up back onto the gearbox, so yea it all seems in order, its just that when I hold the gun upside down and look down the magwell into the hole where the bb's get fed through into the hop up, it looks as though the hop up maybe sits about 1mm too much towards the gearbox, so as to give the impression that bb's feeding through will have a bit of a tight squeeze to feed into the hop chamber, but maybe its meant to be like that, i'm not sure tbh.

At the moment I only have x2 c mags to test with, I have a 30rnd mag on order to try test with as well as I was thinking maybe the mags are knackered.. but still doesn't explain the low distance i'm achieving, maybe its time to re-strip the gearbox again ppfftt!

Comment

OK so I took all the advice, and did a few bits and bobs, rightly or wrongly i'm not sure.
                  first - I took the old hop up apart totally, to find it had crumbled inside, and the hop rubber was ripped to shreds, so I installed a brand new one. tested the gun and still had the same problem.
                  I then cleaned and re-cleaned the barrel 20 times, then took the gearbox apart again with a lot more attention this time, I removed all previous lubes etc.. totally cleaned it, re-lubed everything, now this is where I am not sure if I did the right thing, I put PTFE (from a squezy tube) around the cylinder head, and also underneath the o-ring of the piston head, lubed the cylinder with silicon grease, I was also very careful to ensure the tappet plate was secured correctly (Thanks Elzer0) as it seemed a bit dodge upon second inspection. re-assembled everything and it all worked, at first I was f**k its not firing, but then I could hear the bb's bouncing off my back garden fence (it is dusk here), took the chrono out and its averaging between 410 - 420 fps

I'm pretty stoked with that, hopefully I've not done anything that will damaged it in the long run (ie: PTFE grease), but for a DMR build without any upgrades I think that's decent fps.

Main thing is its firing again, so thanks all for your tips of the trade!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Andy Mc Find out more about Andy Mc
                  Working...
                  X