Help With my DSG build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With my DSG build

Hey guys i'm having some trouble selecting what make gears i should go for, here's my setup so far: Guarder reinforced gearbox shell, Guarder 6mm steel bushings, lonex steel cutoff lever, lonex A1 supreme motor, low resistance wiring, gate ssr mosfet and all the rest are stock G&G. Do you think SHS gears will be tough enough or can you suggest any better options?

Re: Help With my DSG build

I have done some high speed single sector setups and rate shs gears very highly.

Comment

Top of the line gears are the Siegetek gears, expensive but damn good and near unbreakable.
      Next is a toss up between SHS and Modify, both are cheap gears but I think SHS pip it.
      How ever with something like a DSG using cheap gears, standby for shredded gears and pistons.
      section 24 of the 1968 Act
      Supplying imitation firearms to minors
      1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
      2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Im currently using a G&G dual sector gear so the SHS should be an upgrade from that right? and if it's properly shimmed do you think it should last me a while?

Comment

If theres nothing wrong with the normal one, dont touch it. If there is an issue then try the SHS one.
          section 24 of the 1968 Act
          Supplying imitation firearms to minors
          1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
          2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

The thing is my gearbox shell cracked so i got a reinforced one with 6mm bushings, unfortunately the G&G gears only fit in G&G bushings and i cant find and 6mm G&G bushings so i think the best option is to get new gears.

Comment

For reference, the DSG of any brand including the original cannot be used with the 12 or 13:1 gear sets, but is fully compatible with 16 and 18:1 sets. For optimal durability then opt for set that uses the 9 tooth bevel gear.

I would only recommend the RiotSC/Siegetek DSG, however if you must go for a clone then the SHS is the more durable of the 2 (SHS and modify) by material.

I would also recommend using a different motor, the Lonex A1 pulls a lot of amps as standard, that figure will significantly increase when you have a higher initial load to deal with (harder Spring required to keep the piston in time at half stroke) in line with the amount of waste heat (poor efficiency) which will damage the magnets and eventually lead to early failure. If you are on budget, the ZCi HT is the best bet, and the SHS HT is a little quicker, or if you want to spend a bit more then the ASG 18 or 22K motor.

For the gearbox shell, I would suggest Lonex or Modify as they actually have true reinforcement at the front end where it is required and not excess material wasted at the other end of the gearbox!
              Last edited by sj_asc; 8 August, 2016, 16:26.
              dsgdreamteam

Comment

Originally posted by _Tom_ View Post
                Im currently using a G&G dual sector gear so the SHS should be an upgrade from that right? and if it's properly shimmed do you think it should last me a while?
                Really - like the poxy no semi DSG's used in the FireHawk HC05's - how do you cope with no semi and 9mm bearings but 5mm not 3mm inner shaft

If you really have one the HC05 gearboxes then change all gears for shs 16:1 & shs dsg, add cut off lever and you should be ok
                you can use one pair of ceramics - the only pair on 9mm with 3mm inner race
                dump the other stuff
                source out 9mm bushings think 5ku do 9mm bushings - make sure you place a 9mm bushing under spur gear
                well tbh you could a mix out if you like but tbh think you may as well just replace all gears, use 9mm 5ku bushings & the 2 ceramics

There are loads of options & people will suggest a few variations - most of which is going to depend on your budget & your skill if you really wanna go nutz

I redid one a while back with 9mm shs bearings - better but still no semi using G&G sector
                have since bought another HC05 cheap due to no semi and one day will replace them both properly internally with shs dsg & 9mm bushing/ceramic mix
                here it is in its improved state but still room for improvement with a proper working semi sector gear:

Comment

Originally posted by _Tom_ View Post
                  The thing is my gearbox shell cracked so i got a reinforced one with 6mm bushings, unfortunately the G&G gears only fit in G&G bushings and i cant find and 6mm G&G bushings so i think the best option is to get new gears.
                  oooh didn't notice your gearbox was cracked.....
                  to be brutally honest - dump the dsg setup if gearbox cracked

build up a good 12:1 or 13:1 box, short stroke it say a few teeth, £10-£15 mosfet with a shs motor....
                  you should get somewhere near 25rps on 7.4v - very steady snappy build
                  or go nutz on on 11.1v with a 36rps and your mags should feed ok

well that is what I would consider
                  Last edited by Sitting Duck; 8 August, 2016, 22:50.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

_Tom_ Find out more about _Tom_
                  Working...
                  X