Best wire for AEG's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best wire for AEG's

Getting back into building again after a long break. Aside from the stupid priced "hot lemon" etc pre built stuff, what's the best high current low resistance wire for building gearboxes etc? I'm after two kinds I guess, one for switching trigger etc and something meaty for motors, batteries etc.

Links to something at Maplin or RS or something would be great, I'm going to buy 10m red and black of both kinds!

Thanks in advance oh airsoft gods.

Re: Best wire for AEG's

Modify & others do the silver low resistance wire
    or
    Alpha Eco Wire 16awg 6716 but most places sell only reels of it

22awg or 24awg for switch wires if fitting a mosfet

people like firestorm might sell you some extra wire as well
    but their basic firestorm mosfet comes with a good supply of wire already
    can always ask them to bung in a bit more I guess

10m is a fair old bit - maplin will sell you 6716 30m for about £15

I'd avoid the 16awg silicone wire like turnigy as that is 3mm thick and can be a bit tight to fit inside say v2 gearboxes easily
    it is nice for some builds but I'd avoid on certain builds as 3mm is pretty tight unless you like a bit of dremel work

Comment

if you want the wire to be slightly stiffer, then maplin do 14awg or 16awg wire, but its not that great tbh, I normally get my wire from rc shops, JP EN ER G 14awg silicon wire, same used in my rc helicopters, really good stuff and is a lot more bendy and flexible, and its also more expensive, but you get what you pay for. if running lipos then this wire does the job and is great to solder. think ripmax also do wire.

for the trigger contacts, here's a link below to zeroone dual signal wire if you doing a mosfet.
      http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=5386

Comment

Hmm, great advice chaps, thanks. I've got a whole team worth of old guns to rewire! This is exactly what I needed to know!

Comment

IMO the Alpha Eco wire is far superior to its silicone equivalent for our application, the sleeving is much lower profile and is far more durable than silicone. Many have made this switch years ago. In short, if you can manage to fit 16awg silicone in your gun then you will be able to get 14awg of the alphawire equivalent in there - it really is that good.
          As sitting duck said, the firestorm MOSFETs come with plenty of this and are backed by warranty, they will probably cut you a deal for a bulk buy too.
          dsgdreamteam

Comment

a little old and you all seem sorted but ill chip in here as i read into this for work recently and learned a bunch.

I somehow found an amanzingly detailed page on different types of wire and why to/not use them, albeit most of it is related to aerospace etc. The below link seems to be a summed up version which is handy.

https://nepp.nasa.gov/npsl../Wire/insulation_guide.htm

what they discussed which i cant find right now, was what is the most commonly used at nasa, and it seemed like silicone wire is regarded as trash, has some positives in certain situations but its just not tough enough for long term use, and that the most commonly used wire was PTFE

I was thinking of trying to fit silicone wire into my aeg, cause it just felt nice etc etc. read this article and thought, well if ptfe is the go to choice for nasa then why not my aeg

I have used various spec of ptfe but cant really suggest anything more detailed as i use different brands,compositions and sizes all over and i couldnt say for certain that i have noticed any difference

Comment

Very interesting choices on wiring.. I can imagine the wire that nasa use comes with a price as well lol.
              The silicon based wire I use Imo is suitable as in my helis they are under constant load and as long as your soldering is good it shouldn't break connection and amp transfer from battery to the esc is constant.. no spikes etc.. but I will after all the comments look into why silicon wire is deemed not that acceptable for rifs..
              Might have something to do with 'burst' requests from when pulling the trigger.. and maybe the wiring heats up from that. But I have not noticed any degradation in my silicon wired rifs at all, immediate or over time.
              Think I need to try all these different wires mentioned lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Eradicus Find out more about Eradicus
              Working...
              X