making a killer gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a killer gearbox

i know ive already made a thread in the other section of the forum, but that was about general maintenace for noobs like me!

basically, i want no noticable ROF upgrade (according to my manual out the box its the same ROF as the real thing, which i really quite like)

however, i want alot of durability and reliability.

what i've gathered so far is that the gearbox casing takes alot of force, however the rest is a grey area. i understand its best to get metal bushings which i will do, however will my stock piston/gears/motor/trigger assemblies bla bla last that long? or should i get some kind of reinforced versions of these parts (even though i wont be upgrading the spring or the ROF.. if anything id be downgrading the spring)

its a version 3 JG btw

Re: making a killer gearbox

Highspeed motor, highspeed gears. Modify the piston to correct angle of engagement and file down second tooth. 1J spring. Good shim job, metal bearings/bushings as you say. Clean and grease well. Should last nice and long if you build it correctly.

Comment

wouldnt a hi speed motor and gears increase ROF? or would you compensate that with other parts that could slow down the ROF

i just wanna keep it stock when it comes to speed cos out the box it fires at the same rate as the real thing!

Comment

Fair enough, i'm actually glad to see an AEG upgrade topic that isn't totally biased to ROF or FPS.
        Your gearbox shell will be fine with the existing spring or a slightly higher rated spring, it is very unlikely that you will break it.

JG gears are steel so the mechanical weak point will be the piston and then the spring guide then the bushings, though some of the newer JGs come with metal bushings and a metal spring guide.

If you make the setup as efficient as possible (really good shim job, good compression assembly and correctly balanced) you could achieve the same performance with a lower spring rate and a smaller battery.
        dsgdreamteam

Comment

by good compression assembly im asumming you mean quality o rings/cyclinder/cylinder head/piston head?

and as far as correctly balanced is that referring to gear timings? sorry im new remember ;p

Comment

If reliabilty is all you are after you might do just as well leaving it be and only start changing parts if and when they break.

My first JG G36 is still running perfectly after over 2 years of regular use. This is the original version that didn't have metal bushings and all I've done to it internally in that time is change the hop rubber to a TM one and replace the little nub with a piece of biro tube, squirt some white lithium grease into the gear box on 2 occasions (without taking the gear box apart) and regularly clean the barrel.

It has never caused me any problems and is still spot on accurate and firing at 355-ish fps.

Same for my JG M733 that is nearly as old as the G36.

As sniperjesus said if you've got one of the newer ones you should have metal bushings as standard anyway.
            >>> I HAVE LOADS OF STUFF FOR SALE - CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY SALE THREADS <<<

Comment

Originally posted by jtrent90 View Post
              wouldnt a hi speed motor and gears increase ROF? or would you compensate that with other parts that could slow down the ROF

i just wanna keep it stock when it comes to speed cos out the box it fires at the same rate as the real thing!

Sorry, I misread your OP, thought you said "I want a noticable ROF increase". Just ignore me.

Comment

England set up's the most durable set up compared to the rest of the world,
                ROF can easily be increase by just putting in a higher voltage higher discharge battery (8.4V 2000 mah Nimh can easily give you 20 bb's per second, 9.6V same Mah 25-27 bb's per second). Attaining this are combinations of different mods. First on my list is a 7mm GB with 7mm bearing, the rest as mentioned. I wish to share somes pics but I think it's illegal here.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

jtrent90 Find out more about jtrent90
                Working...
                X