Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i rewire to deans connectors?

Hello,
    As the title, how do i rewire my classic army m15a4 to deans connectors...I need to for a pait of batteries i have just bought!
    atm, it is rocking the hold school Large Tamiya, but due to it being a crane stock, its hard enough to connect the battery as it is, due to the wiring being to short.

I took the gun apart, (well, apart from the GB as i have no experience!) and could not find any way to re wire it, as i thought their was a mini tamiya somewhere outside the gb, as shown in one of the Issues of AI (Their MP5 Project if anyone remembers!). This threw me entirely, as the wiring i have for it has a mini tamiya on one end, and the deans on the other!

Now, i have two options,
    A) Find out how the heck you re-wire a gun.
    B) Solder on deans connectors, and saw down the stock tube so it only has 3 settings (I never get past that anyway!)

or the more expensive route i really dont want to go down!
    Pay someone else to do it for me!
    "Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." Psalms 137:9

Re: How do i rewire to deans connectors?

Cut off the existing connector and replace by soldering on a deans.

Have a search on youtube, there's plenty of how-to guides for soldering them. One tip that jfox posted a while back is to connect the two halves of the deans before you solder them as it keeps them stable. If you don't the heat softens the plastic making the blades go out of position (I wrecked 2 or 3 pairs this way!).
    sigpic

Comment

Why not make a Tamiya-Deans converter? Id recommend that rather than chopping your existing connection from your gearbox, should you go wrong.
      Originally posted by Artekus
      It looks like I'll need to brush up on my fieldcraft/untutored thrashing about in the undergrowth

Comment

If he's not got enough room for the tamiya, how will he fit in a tamiya plus a deans?
        sigpic

Comment

Either swap all the tamiya connectors and solder on deans connectors (pretty easy to do) or like said above make a tamiya/deans converter
          BB
          Team Ballin' - "It sounds dirty because it is"

Comment

Where does it say theres no room?

Originally posted by Raguri View Post
            atm, it is rocking the hold school Large Tamiya, but due to it being a crane stock, its hard enough to connect the battery as it is, due to the wiring being to short.
            Based on this, it would make sense to make an extension.
            It looks like I'll need to brush up on my fieldcraft/untutored thrashing about in the undergrowth

Comment

Quite right, I miss-read it as too tight not too short.

But, I still believe that switching over is better, if for no other reason than the increased efficiency of the deans connectors rather than reducing efficiency by adding another layer of connections.

It's a lot more simple to solder in an extension to the leads from the GB.
              sigpic

Comment

All depends on his confidence and soldering skills. A £3 adaptor lead and hes done. And the efficiency difference is minimal either way

Google it and youll find it Rag's.

Comment

And the adaptor can be easily removed if the OP wants to sell it on, or buyer dont want deans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The less connectors, the better.

Soldering it's a five minute job, and four of that is letting the iron heat up
                    Horizontal pin of the T is positive/red, vertical is neut/black.

Comment

tin the wire and tin the deans first, it makes for very easy deans connector soldiering.

theres no point guessing about his wire lengths or anything hes the one with the gun, all you can do is provide the info on how to do the work and let him do the rest.

If you saw the end off the stock tube there wont be a stopper anymore, and since the tube is hidden in the stock, it wont shorten anything, simple remove the adbility to go to the 4th postion.. it wont be shorter, so this mod to me seems pointless.

Comment

If you just want slightly longer wires, cut the origonal ones and add a small section in by soldering then heat shrink over the connection.

If you want deans solder a small extention section on to the back of the male deans and solder that into the gun.

There is no improvement to anything by leaving the tamiya in position and adding deans. You may as well just buy a short extention of tamya to tamya.

Included in your 5 mins, don't forget to 'tin' both ends including the deans befor soldering together.

OHHHHH...NINJA'D...lol
                        Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

Soldering is quite stright forward - If you know what your doing.
                          If you dont, you could quite easily end up with a high resistance joint. Rendering your low resistance Deans connector useless.

And as Tisane has said, if he comes to sell it, the buyer has a choice of either Deans or Tamiya connectors.

I personally wouldnt go for a gun with deans connectors. But thats me!

Another option, if your adamant you want a deans connector on your gun, have a look for pre wired deans connectors(any model shop should have them). That way you only have to joint the wires, which to me would be simpler. Just make sure the polarity matches!!!

Comment

thanks guys, been on holiday for the past week.
                            what i mean by its hard enough to get the battery to fit is due to two things:
                            A) The connector being large, and not having room for my fingers around it!
                            B) The wire being to short, so as above, i cant hold both connectors.

and as the stock tube idea goes, i meant saw off the end so the stock tube is shorter, making the wiring stick out further. Yes, it means i wont be able to use position 5, but who cares? i dont use it anyway
                            And as someone above said, its all hidden anyway, so nobody would know!
                            "Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." Psalms 137:9

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Raguri 5 years off, now looking at finally dusting off the ol' girl and getting some games in. Find out more about Raguri
                            Working...
                            X