Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Hop-Up unit...

Hi guys,

looking to make an order soon to upgrade my armalite internally (******* was complete rubbish so I gave up with them and I'm going to ehobby as they have a decent sale on).

I'm thinking about adding a new hop-up unit as mine seems quite poor.

Which unit from this page (hopefully not the most expensive), is the best choice:
    http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/other-aeg...nts/index.html

List of brands incase link is deleted (I only want a metal one):
    Guarder
    Promethius
    TM
    Element
    G&P

I'm really trying to make a very accurate rifle, I'm already getting a promy bucking, 120 high speed tune up kit that I will stick a 100 in, or I will cut down the 120 to try and land right on 350fps. And I have a Promy 6.03 407mm barrel, and a back up clear Guarder bucking.

Any other suggestions would be great?

Thanks,

Alex (mj23lj)
    Trader Feedback:
    New Forum: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5557
    Old Forum: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?9461-mj23lj

Re: CA Hop-Up unit...

Ok, I'm not great on hop units, but you can't go wrong with a TM rubber. They are just brilliant.

As for the unit, I would choose the prom. one. I've heard good things.

Get an M100 over cuuting down a 120. It's better for your gun not to have a pointy end of a spring poking into the back of the piston.

Keep the T/B barrel clean. Clean guns work better. They just do.

That's pretty much it. I would give you some things to dupgrade in the gearbox, but with a systema you won't need to. Each part will be designed to work with each other part. Different bits would be a step down.

Comment

Nice one mate, ya, I clean my barrels religiously... My VSR gets a barrel clean and also the hop-up if I think it needs it before every game, and a full take down and clean after every game.

Quick question... Do you need to clean gearboxes very often? How often should I be aiming to clean the gear box and internals (ignoring the barrel)?

Thanks again matey,

Alex
      Trader Feedback:

Comment

I clean my gearboxes whenever I do work on them, or whenever I notice the ROF's dropped, or it's not as accurate etc. So about twice a month. Seems to work well. If you can't get that sort of time in, once every two months is OK.

Comment

MY local airsoft gun smith recommends classic army hop rubbers over systema

Comment

Agreed on that JW333, but TM rubbers are just in a different league.

Comment

To the mj23lj: Why is it you want a metal hop unit as opposed to a plastic one?

I would have thought a plastic hop unit would give a better seal overall but I may be wrong?

Comment

I agree, even though I've got no evidence to suggest it, I always prefer plastic hop units.

Comment

my complete systema gearbox has never *needed* cleaning so far, as everything is built to match, shimmed correctly and properly lube i havent had a spot of bother out of it because of it being dirty and such. maybe wait to chrono the gun with the final barrel, hop and unit choice you want before deciding to change/cut the spring. work out what youve got before making and decisions.

Comment

Nice one guys...

The reason I want a metal hop-up unit, is simply for strength (the idea that is will last longer), I already had the Promy unit in my ehobby shopping basket before TKoS confirmed it for me. I've heard and found from past experience that Promethius generally makes very good accuracy upgrades.

Should I take the Promy out and replace it for something else, can someone suggest something else and why?

Thanks again,

Alex (mj23lj)
                    Trader Feedback:

Comment

i've got a CA m15 and after taking the hop-up apart trying to put it back together was a nightmare!!
                      basicly i didnt take the hop-up cogs and things off but i just took out what i think is the bucking and the little rubber bit that makes the bucking go up and down.
                      when i tried putting the barrel with the bucking and little rubber thingy i found that the bucking wouldnt go in after several attemps. i put a thin layer of veg oil around the bucking to see if that would lubricate the outside of the bucking therefor making it go in.
                      i finally got it in and looked down the barrel to see that it was working well (which is was except it doesnt hold its place!!).
                      when i fire it though!!
                      different kettle of fish!
                      i tried it on single, rounds go everywhere, by the way this is not at a target this is just shooting down my field!
                      i tried it on auto and found that after a burst of about 8 rounds 3 of these would just roll out of the barrel!
                      i am upgrading the geers on it because it is quite old with the guarder sp120 tune up kit an m100 spring and a systema turbo moter
                      like the guy above.
                      i am still awaiting a tightbore barrel.
                      i dont think that the hop-up unit needs replacing i think it is just the rubber.
                      from reading what u guys are saying i think i will go marui but i hav seen some prometheus ones which look good?
                      is there some special lube that u use for putting the barrel back in?
                      i reli need help on this!!

Comment

And again, don't write in txt speak, it's the rules.

There is a little plastic clip on the hop unit that fixes the barrel in place.

If it's doing what you said it;'s doing, you've assemble it wrong. The bucking should be lying down horizontally, with each end of the cylinderical bucking pointing at the left and right side of the hop unit.

The rubber then slots on the barrel, and the barrel goes in with the groove facing up with the hopup unit upside down (so you can see it through the gap where the plastic clip goes in, and so the bucking doesn't fall out).

Comment

yup, sounds like you have misasembled the hop unit, take it apart and this time take the cogs off. make sure the rubber has no lube on the inside as this will remove the friction needed to act on the BB.
                          order of rebuild of hop unit(m4/m16 style):
                          Rubber onto barrel,
                          barrel and rubber into main body,
                          hop nub in via the top of the main hop body,
                          adjustment lever and its spring and pin to hold it in, make sure the nub lines up with this,
                          cogs, ensure you put the grip washers back on securely,
                          screw the adjustment cog on (if this is loose when the screw is fully done up this can lead to the hop not staying set and undoing when you fire. to solve this use a small washer, use shims myself, under the screw to grip the adjustment wheel more, dont do it so tight that it cant be adjusted at all though)
                          C-clip,
                          and most hop units come with a ring of brass which is pushed into the main hop body along the barrel to hold it centrally.
                          after this look down the barrel and adjust the hop a bit to see that the rubber is horizontal across the barrel, if it off to one side, even a slight bit, your shots will pull to one side. try twisting the barrel gently until it is level, then turn the hop up off and insert into gun for test firing. always start testing with no hopup set, and then gradually increase it until the desired effect is achieved, this will also hopefully prevent damage to anything else if you got the hopup wrong.

Comment

arr i see
                            thanks so much bumfluff!
                            in my CA hop-up it looks like it is all one unit and cant be split down the middle
                            but i will have a look at it
                            also i discovered that my hop rubber has a very very tiny rip on the bit where the bbs go in.
                            i am going to get a new bit of rubber. did you reckomend marui?

Comment

no, the hop units dont come apart, just the cogs and stuff come off of them. and i recomend the gaurder clear one but the tm is good also

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

mj23lj Find out more about mj23lj
                              Working...
                              X