Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spur gear keeps Shreading

Originally posted by dope_on_a_rope View Post
    I'd rather fix a constantly breaking spur gear, caused by worn out nylon bushings, with metal bushings, than an indestructible spur gear. Call me old fashioned, but you fix the thing that's broken, not just make it insubstantial.
    Worn out nylons or collapsed bearings would go some way to explaining a nasty gearbox noise as well. If the axle is on a tilt, the gear might be rubbing the shell when it rotates. If you re-shimmed it yourself, you'd have probably noticed the axles were not normal, although may not have realized this was causing the problems.
    I think that’s a given, i mean if he replaces the spur gear and the inside of the bearing is still on the shaft you would hope hed put 2 and 2 together and fix said problem when fitting the indestructible. Even hardened steel gears are still breakable with a good bb jam.

I’ll be honest its extremely rare for me to service any gun with excessive wear in or around the bearings/bushings, unless its been over shimmed or they forgot to oil the bushings or bearings.

I’ve serviced 12 year old tms with nylon bushings which are still working fine, despite the entire front half of the gearbox is hanging on by a thread.

Yet nylon bushings are meant to be the first thing you upgrade..

i mean the motor is rated for less rounds than the bushings are...

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm not in the tech business. Much as I'd love to be. So I don't see a huge amount of guns through my way. Good to know the nylons can take some abuse though.
      sigpic
      Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
      I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

I've first used the stationary JG gear, then a TM gear, thats all.
        Then the TM shredded after i reassembled it the last time, i left out two of the shims and thought that it wouldn't effect the GB's performance, and the motor before i disassembled it was very low in pitch when test fired.
        so, is it worth buying a new gun or just buying a new gearbox?

Comment

New GB and(not need unless the pinion gear is damaged or the motor is damaged) motor. Pm me for details.

Originally posted by Ominous Slayer
          A brain?
          Originally posted by snuff
          Can I borrow yours it's hardly used...

Comment

Neither? I wouldn't throw away good money on replacing parts that don't need replacing. I think any vaguely competent tech could fix this for the price of a spur gear and an hours labour. They might put metal bushings in their too, and even discover a different problem you've not noticed. But it's still probably going to be cheaper, and give better results than buying an entire new gearbox.

Even if the motor gear is damaged, they're like £10 to get replaced? A new motor is probably costing more than that.

There's a problem with the gun, you're not buying a new gun, you're fixing the problem. Break it down further, there's a problem with the gearbox. Don't buy a new gearbox, fix the problem.
            sigpic
            Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
            I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

theMaskedairsofter Budget Airsofter Find out more about theMaskedairsofter
            Working...
            X