Collapse

My Gears Have Been Eaten! Can You Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Gears Have Been Eaten! Can You Help?

First time using my new set up and it has all gone a bit wrong.

The Bevel gear has almost no teeth left, the spur is missing teeth for half. Also just like a my old gearbox the casing has snapped in two at the far end of the cylinder.

The set up was:

TM V2 Case
    Guarder Steel Gear Set for TM AEG II/III Original
    G&P M120 Motor
    M100 Spring
    8.4v Battery (Though I intend to use a 9.6v in the future!)

The gears were brand new this morning! Any suggestions? Is there anything wrong with my set up, or maybe a manufacturing error on the gears? Then even so what has caused the casing to break after less than a day's skirmish.

Any help please!

Re: My Gears Have Been Eaten! Can You Help?

That is quite strange, metal gears shouldn't wear away that fast. No teeth already?

I don't see anything wrong with your setup. The motor isn't over-powered or underpowered, the spring isn't too tense. Everything was in it's rightful place I assume, so my best bet would be you had bad gears. I'd recommend contacting the shop you bought the gears from and see what they say.

After that, try contacting various other airsoft shops and ask if they can order in replacement gears for your gun. Try the TM V2 stock gears, TM gears will last a long time, especially considering the spring isn't above an M100.

If that fails, try Systema gears as a last resort. Hope this helps fella

Comment

Thanks for the super quick reply. Ever heard or seen the front of the casing break off before though? Twice in a row, makes me wonder what that could be. (Before risking another set of gears!)

Oh and the broken gears, they not worn down, they are snapped off rattling round the gearbox.

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
        Oh and the broken gears, they not worn down, they are snapped off rattling round the gearbox.
        maybe you should think about the bearings? and also check the shimming...
        TK Airsoft- Take one "from" the team

Agent 99: Inside your belt buckle, there is a pill, if taken it will cause death in 9 seconds...
        Maxell Smart: Great, but how exactly do i get them to take it?

Comment

The casing... hmm.

The casing breaking off I've never seen, there'd have to be some serious stuff going on to break that. You're referring to the actual housing that the gears, spring, piston etc etc go into right? If that's breaking at the front then the piston is hitting it too hard I'd say.

Comment

Bearings and shimmings is something I'm not familiar with. Supposedly systema shims on it, and the bearings are in the piston head so I am told. I could not find a metal spring guide which had bearings in it.

What would cause the piston to be going too hard? The wrong spring? The guy who helped me before with upgrades told me I had a M100 spring, but can you really tell from just looking at it?

Even if the spring was too powerful, that would not really explain the gear teeth coming clean off would it?

Comment

if the piston is going too far forward, then the problem is likely to be:
              A. The actual piston is a bad one
              B. The cyclinder is badly placed within the mechbox
              TK Airsoft- Take one "from" the team

Agent 99: Inside your belt buckle, there is a pill, if taken it will cause death in 9 seconds...
              Maxell Smart: Great, but how exactly do i get them to take it?

Comment

if you are not familiar with shimming and such then a misalignment can wreck gears in seconds. is the gearbox case old? that can happen over time or on a badly cast (looks like TM so probably a bit weak too) check the bushing holes are still circular and the right diameter

Comment

The piston is the original TM one, which does not seem to have caused any problems before. So hopefully that can be ruled out, the previous gear set was TM (the guarder were supposed to a stronger upgrade!)

The guy doing my work put in new Prometheus shims as the old ones were warped. Also a small piece of PVC was used to "space the piston back a few MM for slightly better angle of engagement".

Comment

just to clear this up, was the work done by you or a *pro*?
                    nothing seems out of the ordinary. check the bushings and wholes for wear and tear, if a gear wobbles because the bushing is loose then that will genreally fook the gearbox totally, ive had this happen a few times to myself.

Comment

All the internals were done by a guy from the forums, who helped me a lot with my original post looking for upgrades.

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4640

From what I can tell, seems to know what he was doing, in detail PM's on all kinds of issues. Unfortunately I am waiting on this PM reply, as I've still not paid for the work!

As I am a bit of a n00b kind of leaves me in the middle no knowing if the work was done right, the gears were just a poor batch or anything else basically.

Comment

If I was going to have anyone do work on my AEG, it would be SniperJesus. It's most likely this catastrophic series of events was set into motion by the gearbox case snapping. It's been known to happen. Some companies make reinforced cases. Me thinks you'll be looking for one, next time around. Anyway, that probable set the piston slightly askew, and got the teeth of the sector gear engaging oddly against the piston. Possible that the piston locked up as well. And with moving gears from that point onwards, anything can happen.
                        There's nothing to suggest shoddy workmanship was to blame. Gearbox casings do break sometimes. It just happens, and it's compleatly unpredictable. I've even seen it happen to a V3 box. Although thankfully the gears just locked, rather than shearing.
                        sigpic
                        Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
                        I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

Just to clear up incase there was any doubt. SniperJesus seems to me like a top bloke, really helpful and patient with my newbie questions. So I am not suggesting in any way I blame him.

Looks like I'm getting that stronger box, and then new gears again then! This gun is costing me a fortune!

Is there anything else that could be the problem here. I will fall the ground, cry and quit airsoft if the next skirmish the new gears and more expensive box break!

Comment

There's nothing you can do wrong, to cause a gearbox casing to break. It just happens.
                            sigpic
                            Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
                            I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

I'd agree with Dope. New gears and a new casing will fix it Once you've got them, make sure everything's all good and proper where it should be and it's got a bit of grease on it, ready to be fired for a year

Should it happen again though I'd recommend a different setup. It'll be very unlikely but you never know

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

jagillham Find out more about jagillham
                              Working...
                              X