Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Neewb Help! Whats wrong with my AA SA80?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neewb Help! Whats wrong with my AA SA80?!

Hey guys really wanna fix my gun but i know nothing about internals on BB guns, i know plenty about RC Cars though! watch this so your can hear what i'm on about.....
    Code:
    http://qik.com/video/18318692
    Code:
    [COLOR=Red][B]Link may be a virus. Open at your own risk[/B][/COLOR]
    Big problem? Easy to fix? Expensive?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by dope_on_a_rope; 10 November, 2010, 19:01. Reason: possible virus warning

Re: Neewb Help! Whats wrong with my AA SA80?!

VIRUS!
    Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
    Just because something is in Transformers 2 doesnt make it real.

Comment

No my gun dont have a virus? Im asking for help not a laugh.... :/

Comment

Originally posted by Hyper_Harley View Post
        No my gun dont have a virus? Im asking for help not a laugh.... :/

You\'ve posted a virus link, my virus software went mental!

Comment

Works for me, the piston is stripped basically.

You need a new piston

Comment

Thanks mate any idea where i could get one from?

its not a virus its a video link

Comment

Originally posted by Hyper_Harley View Post
              Thanks mate any idea where i could get one from?

its not a virus its a video link

Damn, sorry time for me to get new software lol.

Comment

the piston is a long sr-25 piston mate, no where in the uk has them in stock

use google to find one and ship from abroad

and yeah the piston is strippedmega style,

Comment

Can pretty much ignore it anyway. We know the problem.

If you didn't know it was the piston that was broken. I'm pretty sure you've never been in a GB before. So before you do, watch some tutorials on it. Mechbox.com I think is a well respected site.
                  If you decide you want to replace the piston yourself, we can only tell you to about Z1. Forum rules. But you can get them at any airsoft retailer. You could also get pretty much any airsoft shop to do the work for you, at a small fee - if you don't feel up to it.

You don't seem to know about the Z1 thing. So I'm going to ask you have a read of the rules before you post again. Thanks.

Edit: Totally forgot this was an AA R85. Long pistons are a pain. You could find another one abroad, or you could put a spacer on a normal length piston, and swap the sector gear out for a regular one as well. This is a little bit more difficult, as it's means you're going to want to re-shim the sector gear. I'm pretty sure Z1 would be able to do that for you, and most other shops for that matter. You'd have to be specific about what you want though.

Swapping to a shorter piston with a spacer will do the following:
                  Give a more accurate FPS to the rated spring strength. IE, it says M100, you'll get close to 350. With the longer piston you might not.
                  Make it easier to find replacement pistons in the future.
                  Loose the pre-cocking feature. (not sure if the AA R85 has this anyway)
                  Allow you a wider range of decent pistons. The long ones are generally of pretty poor construction. Having said that, you don't need a brilliant piston at 350fps anyway.

Personally I'd put a spacer and a 16 tooth (regular) piston in mine. Rather than run with the long piston. And removing the parts that make the bolt move when you fire (blowback... ish) will increase the reliability of the platform, if you haven't already done it. Getting anything in that mechanism can cause the piston to strip. It's a pretty poor idea for a gun that's going to be run around a forest all day.
                  Last edited by dope_on_a_rope; 10 November, 2010, 19:39.
                  sigpic
                  Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
                  I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

Thanks for the replys, sorry to be a pain but any links on the smaller piston with the spacer? (i am looking) I have taken the gun apart before but last time i couldn't get the whole gearbox out, just the top (with the piston in i assume) I will try my best to do it myself as i like to learn

Comment

I recently got the chance to take a look at the AA l85 and before you do that, make sure it is in fact the piston that has a gaping hole in it, it will look all chewed up. If you split the upper and lower gearbox, and fire the gun without the top half on, you should see the gears spin. Also charge your battery :P

In order to remove the lower gearbox, you need to remove all the pins relevant (body and inner, etc) and then wiggle it until it comes loose. Getting it back in can be a pain as well, so you will need to do the same then... When I took one apart, I just followed various videos on the net, plenty of them about and it's a long winded but easy process. Also, the gearbox is awesome to work on, because of the split design, so you don't need to worry about it exploding on you like with the m4 ones :P

Just watch vids and go steady, if you know your RC cars, this will be easy enough to trouble shoot. http://southwestairsoftuk.blogspot.c...ly-videos.html <- will get you started.

As for the piston, you need the following parts:

New Piston
                      the Element clear ones are a good trade off between price and quality
                      10mm spacer
                      which is wide enough to hold the metal 'front' tooth in
                      M3 Bolt and Nut
                      whatever the length needer to attach the piston to the piston head via the spacer, same diameter as the current screw in there. The off-the-shelf kit comes with a 43mm
                      Standard Sector gear
                      any TM compatible will do.

Also worth considering: Piston Head -
                      You may use the current one, but a new one is a cheap and easy upgrade. Your call here as to which one, but avoid bore ups as they will not fit and any metal ones as they seem to be designed with the intent to destroy your gearbox shell :/ Also, I cannot comment on the silent kits, as I do not know what type of cylinder head is in the R85, didn't think to check.

Here's a link to what TKOS did a while back, which I never thought of, but is quite a cool idea. Though a spacer is a spacer, I've heard of people using things like PVC pipe.

If you really want to avoid DIYing it, then there is a kit on a certain world of airsoft going for about £25 + P&P, but, you know... a spacer is a spacer, who cares if it is made of 6082 aluminium alloy... Forum rules dictate that I am not allowed to link you, but google it, it was on the first page when I searched for 'r85 piston spacer kit'.

Comment

Right i just took it to bits and let the motor spin the gears they spin fine but as soon as i put load on it it does the same so im thinking it is a motor issue? pinion maybe? bigger problem me thinks :/

Comment

was reading this and its exactly the same as mine http://www.********.co.uk/forums/vie...hp?f=37&t=1460

BTW sorry if im am not allowed to link to other forums?

Comment

Swing the motor cage off and check the motor over, easiest way to check

Gearboxes are all about common sense anyway, only 4 gears in there, including the motor, so easy enough to trouble shoot.

Comment

As has been said, it's a stipped piston. It's nothing to do with the motor. Replace the piston with a long one, or buy/make a spacer for a standard piston and then buy a V2/3 sector gear.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Hyper_Harley Find out more about Hyper_Harley
                              Working...
                              X