G3 SAS (TM) internal upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G3 SAS (TM) internal upgrades

hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade my TM G3 SAS's internals to get it up to 350fps on 0.2's. It's payday on Monday and my pockets are burning in anticipation!

I'm using a folding stock so I'm limited to the small type batteries so power consumption could be an issue.

I've been looking at those hurricane tune up kits but they seem too cheap to be quality.

My 3 restraints are
    max 350 fps
    low maintenance
    £200 (give or take)

Any suggestions would be welcome.

cheers guys

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Re: G3 SAS (TM) internal upgrades

What you need is:

1x Systema M100 spring.

Leaves you with around £180 change too. Result.

Comment

sorry i should have mentioned, it already needs a new nozzle and head o-ring so i thought i should just give it an overhaul while it's in peices.

Comment

The hurricane tune up kits are far from bad quality, i would recommend one, easier than mix and matching different parts.
        sigpic

Comment

What's up with the current ones?

The upgrade kits are a bit pointless really, as TM internals will take a whole load more strain than stock with no problems!

Comment

the nozzle is a bit manky and the oring is not as elasticy (technical term ;-) ) as it should be. It's still got the plastic erm.... feck mind blank... what are they called again... 6mm round things that the gears sit in, look like mints but doen't freshen your breath things.

Sorry for all the technical terms

Comment

Bushings/Bearings/Tic Tacs?

Comment

If its a TM, I'd sit down and think about the actual parts that you need to upgrade to get a more desirable result.

Lets put it this way: the only parts it really needs changing is the spring, but I am guessing that the SAS uses the same spring-attached-to-piston design, meaning you may well need a new piston and piston head. Stock piston heads are a bit naff anyway though.

So your parts list so far are:

m100 spring (do not be tempted by the element ones though, the m95s kick out 370+)
                Piston (the element polycarb clear ones are ok this time, tough and already come with the 2nd tooth cut out)
                Piston head (world is your oyster here. Avoid metal ones like the plague though. I use ported ones. Cheap and cheerful, does a lovely job)
                Metal bushings (avoid bearings, 6mm ones are a bit too fragile and without changing gearbox shell you will not get larger ones in)
                New G3 air nozzle To be honest, the stock ones are a tad naff anyway, recommended upgrade for any g3. If you can find one with an o-ring or 2 in, it would help the air seal
                Some lubricant Use to re-apply and replace it where needed. As for which one... that is a topic for a new thread Proven ones are most airsoft greases, white lithium grease and silicone grease (not spray). Also heard good things about green slime shock lube.

Also have some sort of material ready in case you need to pad the space between the piston and cylinder to achieve the correct AOE (angle of engagement)

And that's it! The gearbox shell, spring guide, trigger mech, gears, cylinder, AR latch and cutoff lever are all fine and dandy.

Only other internal mod you may want to consider is a Mosfet unit of some description (active braking is not really needed unless your gun is double firing on semi or something like that, but again, read up on it and then decide) and if you still have cash knocking about, buy yourself an imax B6 charger and a few lipos. And I can tell you now, you will probably still have about £100 left over from the price of that FTK, and know fully how your gun works and what really NEEDS upgrading, if anything.

Cheers, Nikolay

Comment

Going over the top for a spring change aren't you? What happened to the days when someone would be happy with an M100 and metal bushings. If you have the replace the piston and piston head, you're doing something wrong.

To make it absolutely clear how to get into a TM piston:
                  On the front of the piston head, you'll see a ring shape, that looks like a mould line, and a very small hole in the centre. This is a screw cover. Remove it. You can use a small Allen key or something for this. Poke it in the hole, and lift. Undo the screw that's right there, and bob's your uncle.

I'd also say the AOE mod is going to be out of this kids skill range. Not to mention, almost entirely pointless. If this is the first time he's opened a gearbox, he probably won't even know how to shim the gun properly. So I'd say give it to someone like Z1 and tell them you want an M100 spring and metal bushings.
                  sigpic
                  Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
                  I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

while this 'kid' is relatively new to airsoft, I've been shimming gearbox's (cars and bikes) for a good couple of decades. 3 static gears isn't exactly intimidating.

thanks to all for your advice. Part of the reason i want to do this is to in part make my 3rd or 4th hand gun new again as well as getting a better practical understanding of the balance between fps and rof. oh and i want to shoot people faster.

cheers

Comment

the problem with the tm g3 is its got the old school design, and at somepoint the casing will give.. guaurder do a nice gearbox casing v2 which will stiffen it up abit for not much cash.

also there motors suck.. so maybe the guarder high torque motor as well.

Comment

100% as above. If you don't want to alter characteristics of the gun. Don't waste your money on un needed parts.

Damn, one above the one above...lol...
                        Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to sound patronizing.
                          I really don't think it's worth spending £200 if you just want extra FPS though. ROF is a different matter. But you wont loose that much from just throwing a new spring in if it's all done right. And you could easily gain it back with a 9.6 Ni-MH or a 7.4v Li-pol.

If you wanted to redo the whole gearbox with good parts, there's better kits out there than HurricanE FTKs, but there's also far worse. They're a good affordable option. You'd be surprised how long a stock TM can last though. With an M100 and metal bushings you should have any problems.
                          sigpic

Comment

no need to apologise. With all the tire kickers around here it's a good assumption to make. So what are these other kits you speak of?

Comment

Nothing you'll find on Z1 I don't think. But Prometheus make fantastic internals. Systema too. Guarder make pretty decent FTKs from what I'm told (not used one myself, but guarder parts have always been good to me). There's no real need for Prommy parts at M100, but they would last longer if you did go for them. On the other hand, the TM parts could last till you sell the gun a few years down the line, if you do. RichardY does make a good point about the V2 gearbox shell. They're week at the front, and prone to cracking. The Guarder shell is a fair upgrade. But the stock shell, again, might last for ages.

I'll leave it for other people to say from now on. I could ramble for hours and get no where.
                              sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                              X