TM SOPMOD blowback barrel wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TM SOPMOD blowback barrel wobble

Im sure this has been debated and there are solutions but I thought I'd post this anyway -

Received a rather awesome CQB M4 SOPMOD and Im loving the blowback action - this is the future Im pretty sure...

However compared with my G&Ps and rather nice full metal alternatives, this gun has an instant twist wobble that after investigation isnt remedied by simply tightening the screws. It's coming from the base of the outer barrel and delta ring area.

Am I right that there is a fix in the form of laylax shims and also a hard barrel base that I'll need to purchase to completely (and I mean completly) remove this bloody annoying twisting/wobble that Im not accustomed to on high end guns?

Is here a simpler more cost effective solution?

Im guessing I'll need to use a tool to get the barrel unscrewed to begin shimming this?

Any help would be awesome to make this gun perfect.

Re: TM SOPMOD blowback barrel wobble

its really handy if you have the laylax wrench. It does both barrel and stock. Ive managed to fix all now without the laylax parts, they are more preventative and fine tuning.

The laylax part gives extra reenforcement incase you should fall, if you fall on the front it can bend the outer barrel. Its also a little wide, ever so slightly.

The shims space the delta ring closer to the stock hand guard.. obviously becuase of where the support screws into the outer barrel you can only shim so much and it varys on guns. but it potentailly can make the hand guard grip from the outer ring a little tighter. as its closer.

The best thing to do if its bad is completely remove all the outer barrel. then retighten it all, the delta ring with the tool, and the barrel support with the m3 screw.

Also in the front sight is a tiny grub screw, youll need to pooke up an allen key into it, with the innner barrel removed to tighten it. You dont need the front sight off to take apart the delta ring. Its actually quite a cool and simple system once you get it all off.

Id post a video but with out the one i have is before the tool was made so its now out dated.

Comment

Ok - great response!

Was wondering if you could utilise any more robust front ends on this gun- I know the recce version is out now and that design is far more robust anyway.

I'llhgave a go at what you said- really appreciate the help and I've already contacted you about replacement lipo batteries.

You definitely know your sopmods

Will be in touch soon again I bet.

Comment

unfortunatly normal aeg outer barrels and delta rings wont fit. Which is usually why we are so excited when a new recoil gun comes out as we potentially could get some of those bits as interchangable parts. Every own needs a wrench its good to get one at some point then youll have a lot more confidence in it.

Comment

Got a wrench on order which is about time really...

Guess alternative front ends: could use a CASV.

Would prefer to get this tightened though.

Comment

Wobble fix....FAIL.

Had it apart today and there seems to be no science behind why the blinkin thing still wobbles. When you tighten down the equivelent delta ring (so easy and logical on G&P etc guns) it doesnt seem to tighten down on the barrel enough to take out the play.

Did the thread lock thing too and tightened the other bits but the barrel is still left-wright wobble, and also twist wobble. GGGrrRRrRrrrr.

*Sigh*

Comment

pic

The ring which itghtens down over that barrel has to touch it after its tightened else theres still movment

youd be supprised how tight it needs to be turned to take away the last 1mm of movment.

Comment

Wahoo!

Update:

Received shims and hard barrel block to try and get tis wobble resolved.

Took gun apart and inspected again to see if it would make a difference with parts installed.

Sadly - same as before - wobble coming from space between outer barrel and where it seats in the body (its spring loaded). Locking ring wasnt going to solve it....

So....

electrical taped round the base of the outer barrel where it goes into the main body of the gun to try and pack this area out a bit. This hopefully would get rid of the diddy bit of play.

Tightened everything up good and proper and hey presto - solid as a rock.

Clearly a flaw with the gun I feel - theres just too much room for movement at this end regardless of shims, tightening it up etc. Just needed packing somewhat to stop it moving in the small gap between the barrel and body.

Anyway - Im a happy boy now.

Still going to buy a RECCE anyway to alleviate any chance of wobbly barrel syndrome again.

So - if you guys have a wobbly barrel - inspect where its wobbling and "pack it out" a bit.

Thanks to Rich @Eagle6 anyway as he's a gem for his patience and assistance anyway.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Fitch Find out more about Fitch
                Working...
                X