Spring cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring cutting

Ok so I bought a 1J systema spring for my 416.

To fit it i had to bend it a little and in the process i cut off about a CM of the spring..

What sort of power would I bel ooking at now?

Re: Spring cutting

just curious, why did you have to cut it to fit it?
    back in the game after 12 months away!

Comment

clearly something somewhere has not been done correct if you had to cut off a cm of the spring.

but i would second this, i would love to see something mathmatical showing the % decrease in power

paul

Comment

aye well thats waht i was thinking,ive had some tm's that had the odd springs with the hook on the end but i just replace the piston head at the same time instead of cutting it, thats the only reason i could think of.
        well if its a linear spring then a simple wahy would be to measure the origonal length of the spring, work out 1cm as a percentage of it, and that % will be how much off of 1j you just threw away. simple, not very accurate but a 1j spring never gives 1j, i put an m95 in yesterday which is meant to be less than 1j (like 10-15% lower than 328)to be safe for cqb, final chrono reading, 365 fps, damm my good air seals and bearings!
        back in the game after 12 months away!

Comment

Also make sure you cut the right end of the spring, the more coiled end goes at the base of the spring guide yeah? :p
          Old Feedback: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?9500-TaylorB

Comment

For non linear springs, the tightly coiled end goes towards the spring guide, if you have clipped the coils from this end you will not see a huge drop in FPS.
            dsgdreamteam

Comment

The more coiled end is where the spring guide is,

And yes I had to bend it to fit the piston head. So yoru saying I wont of lost much? it doesnt seem really weak..

Comment

The tighter coils are much easier to compress, these reduce the initial load spike when the piston engaged by the sector, they don't really do a lot for FPS.

From what I've read, I'm not quite sure what you did.
                Heres the basic piston assembly stripped down + the stock spring with the hook.

You do not need to create that hook if the after market spring doesn't have one, you just put it back together without the spring and then slot the spring in after.
                dsgdreamteam

Comment

Damnit,

What sort of losses are we talking if ive taken 1 CM off the end without the tighter coils?

Comment

You'd probably be looking at around 10-15fps, but no one can really know for sure.
                    dsgdreamteam

Comment

Ok thanks a lot,

I'm not too bothered if its still around the 300 mark!

Comment

Does the base block have to remain in the piston? even if the new spring doesn't have the little hook?

Comment

Generally yes as it acts as a nut to hold the piston head on.
                          That is of course unless you go and find a nut to replace it with

Comment

But it doesn't need it because the new spring has nothing to clip into(no hook end). just goes in piston.. fine?

It's ok to run the spring without the block right

Comment

is only a assumption i have made from cutting a few springs down but it seems to equate to roughly 10fps per coil you cut off... has worked for me though there is no science behinde it

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ejtrent Find out more about ejtrent
                              Working...
                              X