FPS Loss > Inactivity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPS Loss > Inactivity?

Hi guys, got a little bit of an issue here.

Bought an M14 from a good member on here a while back, anyway long story short it had a Guarder FTK in it, chronoing at 420 or so (not done by me but by the seller) or so I was told it was shooting 420.

Now, I've just chronoed it at 340fps using 0.20's...

Before you ask - the spring was not left compressed, I'm not one to do that.

It has been kept indoors for about 1 month without getting use; the only thing that stands out to me is "airseal" - but I can't see how this could have been effected with 1 months of doing sod all?

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Re: FPS Loss > Inactivity?

i would very much dought it has ,did you put say 50 rounds through it before you chronoed just in case the oring was a bit gummed up on the piston head ??? otherwise i can see no legitimate reason for a power drop like that after 1 month of no use, though you are only taking someones word for it .
    did they chrono or guess as alot of people do based on upgrades
    m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

before you chrono mate you need to lube all the rubber seal components up, as they will dry up after a month

Comment

There is also the chance that it never shot at 420. I have bought alot of guns second hand that were advertised at one FPS and chronoed and another very different FPS.

Comment

Ahh fair enough, thanks for this. And yes, confirmed to chrono at 420 originally (and even I had thought the shots were going far faster than my other rifles - this was as soon as I received it).

I haven't put 50 rounds through it when I chronoed it just before, no.

Hehe oooh no. Even a techie like myself doesn't touch M14's. They scare me inside. Too much going on.

Edit - it was a Guarder FTK and I'm almost sure they include their SP120 spring in there which should produce around 400fps, but knowing Guarder that could have been 450. I didn't do these upgrades though.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Guys - quick one.

Do you think that by me firing around 50 or so shots (dry fire) would sort out the issue?

Comment

i would rather not dry fire but as long as you can get enough presuure at the head of the piston to enlarge the oring to improve the seal try it
              m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

Okay thanks. Operation had seemed normal; I hadn't noticed any lag in piston movement due to a dead o-ring or whatnot. I'll give it a good run tomorrow.

Comment

A friend has just informed me a G36 he had went from 350 to 280 - but a barrel clean did the job to bring it back up. Haven't heard of that much FPS loss due to the barrel though.

So I'll be packing a cleaning rod in tomorrow.

Comment

nope a 420 gun aint going to drop to 350. Now if you said it was a kart m14 i might believe you but not a tm , not in a million years..

we arnt talking a weak m100, this is an m120 or 130. Producing 350 .. hmm nope..

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gaffa Nicknamed "Gaffa" because I can be bossy, but get the job done! I'm built for comfort, not speed... Find out more about Gaffa
                    Working...
                    X