How do i get the barel off!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i get the barel off!?

Hey guys, looking at selling the front end of my m4 for a shorter version, which i have been wanting to do for ages!
    I even set up a trade with a guy, but then when i couldn't get my barrel un-attached from my metal body, i couldn't go ahead with it.

So, how do i do it? It is a classic army m15a4 proline, with the stock metal body, with a free float ris and delta ring installed...
    Do i really need an armourers wrench? and if so, where do i get one without spending a shed load?
    "Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." Psalms 137:9

Re: How do i get the barel off!?

Bumpity Bump
    "Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." Psalms 137:9

Comment

I have a CA m15a4 SEALS

First time i tried to get it out (not knowing what i was doing) i nearly tore my hop up rubber apart as i pulled on the actual hop up unit to get it out.
      Your best of getting something the diameter of your barrel and pushing it though from the flash hider...
      I used a allen key which pushed it through nicely. Mine took a fair bit of force as it had never seen daylight before.
      DO NOT:
      Use something smaller than your barrel so it goes inside as this could damage the end of the barrel send shots left, right and backwards
      Use something bigger than the inner barrel as then you'll just be pushing on the outer barrel.
      Use too much force and break something.

Comment

Ooh i mean outer barrel
        can get the inner out in 5 seconds flat :P

Comment

The way my short free float RIS (100mm) was assembled it has the railed bit, the barrel nut itself with the holes in that it threads onto, and a knurled ring that locks the RIS to the nut, plus a little grub screw that holds it all together.

If you remove the front sight along with the gas tube (CA I think has a grub screw under the front sight sling loop) the RIS should then unscrew.

I have an armorer's wrench which makes life easier, but I made do before by simply giving the RIS a twist, putting a long mag in the gun to help push against when you're twisting. The RIS will be on there tight, so I use a vertical grip attached to the rail as leverage. If it's like mine, and the RIS unscrews leaving the barrel nut, you'll need an armorer's wrench, though one could be made quite easily. I've seen barrel nut tools made out of a bent bit of steel rod.

[edit] I can get pics if you like, if it's the same RIS setup as yours

Comment

If you had the cash then get the correct tools for the job..
            But you could tap it of with a large flat head screw driver and hammer ...
            Its a clockwise thread on the m15 .. So stand the rifle up as if its pointing at you and tap the top to the left...
            it shouldn't do much damage to it using a large flat head..

Comment

I think CA's tend to take an armorers wrench. All M4 barrels I know of need a wrench of some sort to unscrew the delta ring from the reciever, and I'm fairly sure CAs need an armorers wrench for best results. If you get a china one, they are about a tenner, should do the trick.

Comment

Ah ok, ill have a look at China ones.

EDIT: And Mice, i believe it is the same. I know you can take it off by gripping the outter of the assembly, but due to the fact it has the delta ring i cant!

Comment

There are a few alternative actually... A decent sized pipe wrench and some padding to avoid damage can work fine with care. Important that you know which way to twist it though.

Is the body of the RIS has holes going through it, you can put a screw driver or other longish metal rod through the holes into the foregrip then out the other side... that does depend on how much space your barrel takes up, and probably the gas tube too.

If it has a delta ring that is not spring loaded, and has texture that runs parallel with the length of the gun, it could be that you need to unscrew the outer part of that to get the RIS off. Thats what it's like with the only free float I've had. After the rail comes off, you can then use an armorers wrench to undo the delta ring from the receiver and get the barrel out. If you can post a picture of what you're working with, then I'm sure someone can tell you for sure the steps you need to follow.

Comment

Its a stranded delta ring like the one on my m15 a4 nothing else

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Raguri 5 years off, now looking at finally dusting off the ol' girl and getting some games in. Find out more about Raguri
                    Working...
                    X