Imax B6 vs lipo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Imax B6 vs lipo's

This is the first time I've ever heard about charging after balancing to be honest.

When I first got my Turnigy Accucel 6, I accidentally charged a lipo. Checking the display, I could slowly see the voltages of the two cells becoming further apart. I wondered if the other cable (on the battery) had anything to do with this.

So searched on Youtube for a video demonstration and was instructed to put the balance lead in and only ever charge by balancing. It's also what I've been told by an RC enthusiast. I don't think charging after balancing is necessary at all.

Snuff it's fine.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Originally posted by snuff View Post
      I'm charging a 9.6v 2200 mah Nimh battery @ 0.6a and the input is rising to 11.75v is that right???
      I dont think it is!! Thats nearly 12v in a 9.6v pack prepare for meltdown.

Comment

12v's can charge past 14v. Honestly, I don't know if it's just the chargers voltage reading of the battery or what.

Try this - fully charge the battery using a standard charger.

Take the battery off and connect to electronic charger and find out the voltage by charging it again. (or use a voltmeter). It's fine mate.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

I use the Imax B6 and when charging I use the rule of thumb of 0.1A per 100mAh of battery for batteries up to 3000mAh. I've not had any problems since I've been using LiPo's, nor have any caught fire etc etc and I've been using LiPo's since they started to be used in airsoft.

I also charge my NiMH's (large batteries not mini's) at 2.5A and up to 5A and have done this for many years including with very high spec batteries when RC Racing.

Comment

Yeah I was always "brought up" to use the above; another way of putting it is dividing the capacity by 10 (up to 3A of course) - so charging a 2100mAh battery @ 2.1A. (Max). Or even more simplistic - 2100mAh = 2.1A = charge rate!

It's all rubbish though, as batteries can be charged at any rate. Just using higher rates may cause the battery to not last as long.

Comment

Surely doing it through both the outputs and the JST tab gets it done quicker.
              Yes it can be done via just the JST tab but in the case of the cheapo Esky type chargers it only charges at about 800mah because it does both through the JST tab.

As far as balance then charge or charge then balance goes surley its going to yeild the same result ie a not fully charged battery.
              Thats why one way or another its best to do both at the same time.

Comment

The charge rate is simply how fast the charger recharges your battery.

Obviously at 1amp for example it will take twice as long to charge a 2000mah battery as it would to charge a 1000mah battery.

The norm is usualy 1amp, in the case of Nimh anyway quick charging too offen can be bad for the battery.

Comment

11.4v would be about the max it should charge to.

Balance charging should balance the power between the cells taking energy from 1 and putting it into the other , I think in the IMAX case it may charge as well, but not balancers do, battery specs always recommend charging after balancing.

If you want to go in-depth about it , the faster you charge the more chance for unbalanced cells. And new tech like lion and lifepo doesnt need balancing. If they are decent quality cells.

Comment

But if you charge from 7.4v to 8.4v, the cells will not be balanced.

It is often during the charging process that people experience problems with lipos, for example balooning. I wouldn't want to take the chance.

Besides, balancing two cells that are, say 4.00v and 3.77v takes a while. IF your battery has two cells that are unbalanced to start off, and you select balance charge, the cells will be charged up to around the maximum voltage, and then the charger will slow the rate of charge and balance the cells to make them even. As stated, this can take a time.

May as well always use balance charge.

Comment

I can't say for sure if it does I charge then balance charge then charge again, it garrentys a fully charged pack. I used to just balance charge but I seem to have migrated to this method. It's also great practice for other Chargers. Ballooning is only a concern for chargers with out peak detect.

It's a great guide, just telling people to balance may confuse the situation if someone doesn't have a computer charger.

There are still plain balancers out there.

Either way with the IMAX, pressing the info button tells you the voltage of each cell you can see if you need to balance or just charge.

But yeah basically the IMAX simplifys the whole charging process to a button press

Comment

Originally posted by snuff View Post
                        I'm charging a 9.6v 2200 mah Nimh battery @ 0.6a and the input is rising to 11.75v is that right???
                        ..and how is the discharge rate defined,I mean what is the lowest setting for discharging calculated..:D
                        I read that lipo's can't discharged below a certain v,but I can't remember what it is...

Comment

its the same with nimh, dont completely discharge them but you can certainly run them flat more than you can lipos...

imax will stop just before its completely empty and recharge for you.

Its the same with all batterys run them till they cant run the gun very well any more then recharge.

Comment

The ********* **** insists that you don't charge at an higher ampage than the battery's capacity.
                            I always charge abit under and my lipos are still working like new
                            Eg:
                            7.4 2200mah = 7.4 @ 2A
                            7.4 800mah = 7.4 @ 0.7A

Then just wait till it beeps... (normally about half an hourish)

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

snuff Find out more about snuff
                            Working...
                            X