Strange Selector Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Selector Issue

Hi guys, just rebuilt my (cracked) G&G LR-300 gearbox today, and I've got a bit of a strange issue when fitting it back into my LR-300's lower receiver.

Basically, I pop it in, and the selector switch now goes Semi-Safe-Semi (rather than Safe-Semi-Auto).

I took the gearbox out and thought I had resolved the issue by unscrewing the actual switch and turning the disc which interacts with the selector plate.

Put the Gbox in, worked fine...

But, after moving the selector all the way around a few times, I'm now getting safe on semi again...

It would "seem" i'm not screwing the selector switch and disc in tight enough, and it is being allowed to spin into the semi/safe/semi position.

Any fixes guys? (Checked the new selector plate with the old G&G one and they're the same apart from colouring!)

Cheers.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Re: Strange Selector Issue

Then thing about safe is that is the only reason for haveing the saftey catch in there. So making it mover too much into safe is always an option.

Try assembling the gearbox, and attaching the grip and motor. But no lower reciever..

Now simulate the moving of the selector plate. you need to find out if the selector plate is catching on the wires or not returning etc..

Comment

Yeah the selector plate was fine.

But it appears that even 1 mm of difference in the plastic on the selector plates can make a difference.

I put the original G&G plate back on (without opening box - using the bending method) and it seems to be working fine. What a bloody nuisance!

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Okay... no it's not sorted...

It's not a SP issue.

Comment

As said in the post before - Did you try it with the lower receiver removed

I initially thought the safety lever could be sticking either on the new GB case (if you used a different one) or the sides of the lower receiver, but after a re-read it shouldn't account for semi auto in safety as the lever would physically prevent it... unless the lever has bypassed the trigger when set to safe.

If you have ruled the selector plate out

Did you install the fire safety lever the original way around? I have mine setup the other way round here.

Normally with safe set the lever physically prevents the trigger moving.

With the lever the other way up, when set to safe if the selector plate is too harsh it is too high and the trigger could simply bypass it.

With the lever the other way around and possibly an oversized or out of place* (in relation to a different GB case will go into this later if required) selector plate it could leave the safety lever engaged when semi auto is selected.

Only when full auto is selected, the lever is at rest.

The problem is that usually that would mean that you would have full auto when selected, however the different selector plate could be to blame for not disengaging the cutoff lever at the correct point, or the plate could be sliding over it.

Sometimes the levers can be used either way round. In a case where the selector plate or the other side of the safety lever is larger than normal it may have to be a certian way round. With the few parts I quickly threw together I noticed that the my selector plate when set to safe was holding the cut off lever spring fully compressed as it should and was not going to allow for a smooth cutoff cycle without a fuss or risking damage to the plate/lever/spring.

It's difficult to say for sure without having it here to look at. I'm sure youl get to the bottom of it, I have spend hours before on many boxes trying to figure out similar problems, most of them occurring after changing the GB Shell.

Are you getting full auto with the original plate? and on that note, you said rebuilt the cracked GB, did you use a different GB Shell?
          Last edited by sj_asc; 31 January, 2011, 03:51.
          dsgdreamteam

Comment

Thanks for all the help SJ, but just to reiterate, it is not a problem with anything inside the gearbox.

For example, when removed from lower, pushing all the way to the left/ front of gearbox = safe. Middle = can pull trigger. Held to the right = can pull trigger.

I think I'm onto the problem:-

There must literally be millimetres in difference of several dimensions on the G&G Black selector plate. I filed some of it down further, just in case the bearing was getting in the way at all and causing too much resistance.

Popped it all back in and it was working fine. However:- I remembered that there is a small piece missing from the far right side of the selector plate.

Because of this, sometimes and irregularly, the selector plate cannot move under the little metal "tab" that holds the selector plate to the side of the gearbox. Like I said, only sometimes.

I would therefore be lead to believe that when it works fine, it is sliding under this tab fine, but when the "irregular" problem occurs, and it is stuck, hitting this tab rather than going under, because of the force used when turning the selector switch on the receiver, the actual selector disc on the receiver is being "unscrewed" and/ or turned, so that it mis-matches with what the actual gearbox is selected to.

So I'll have a hunt for a spare selector plate, but don't think I have one (apart from that clear selector plate, which I think I'll modify by filing down some areas, and then report back with whether it's all sorted or not!

Thanks again.

Comment

Gaffa i have had an issue very close to this in the past , the plate was catching on the little "tab" and bending just enuff for the guns selector disc to slip under the plate it self.
              the reason it was bending and catching was they had fitted a 6mm plate on a 8mm gearbox the plate could not pass the bearings and was pushed out
              Please do not advertise on this forum

Comment

Yeah, I think that must have been my problem. I did a bit of filing and all seems to work fine now.

Apart from S/A, so I'm guessing I've lost that little metal tab that's part of the gearbox case - as I don't think the selector plate is gone (as it's almost new).

But with all the wires from the mosfet, I'm not going to be taking her apart again, I've had enough of her now after the little fiasco last night. Got to 2AM and I just put everything down around me and went to kip!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gaffa Nicknamed "Gaffa" because I can be bossy, but get the job done! I'm built for comfort, not speed... Find out more about Gaffa
                Working...
                X