What wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wire?

Hi, so i have already rewired my m4, but not sure if i have used the right wire? I used 20awg wire, but should it be 16? does it make a difference? also, i am not using a fuse, bad idea?

Re: What wire?

20 is probably worse than what was in there

Ideally you'd be using 16AWG. If that's too tight then 18AWG.

I've run 14AWG in a weapon before, but you have to remove the silicone sleeve and insulate it with a thinner material to get it to fit.

Lower the rating the better. In general it will also be thicker.

Comment

Abit of a Hijack but how the hell do you get 16AWG down a M4 pistol grip? I had to revert to the standard wiring *shudder*

Originally posted by Ominous Slayer
      A brain?
      Originally posted by snuff
      Can I borrow yours it's hardly used...

Comment

Depends on the thickness of the sleeve. On the 14AWG one, had that removed and wrapped in electrical tape instead!

Comment

All i did, was solder the wire on at the trigger mech, figured would be a hassle getting new motor clip thingy's, i will get some 16awg and do it that way, but should i do what i did last time, snip it off where it comes outa' the gearbox, and solder the new stuff on? Or do it properly, and use whole new wire set? How do i go about attaching the motor clips on?

Comment

Motor clips can crimp on usually, or you could solder for a better connection.

Up to you how much you do. Obviously the more of it in lower the better. But then more hassle for you!

I don't think it makes too much difference in the end unless it is a high load set up like a DMR.

Comment

So, what you recommend i do? leave the current 16awg thats in the box, cut off the 20awg i put on, and replace that with 16awg? Will it make any difference? Also, where can i get new motor clips from, or do i use old ones?

Comment

Zero One sell them

I'd do as you have said above if you can be bothered, lol. As I say, doubt going to make major difference anyway. Only time to worry would be if it starts to get a bit hot.

Comment

I would realy use 16 awg although you could get away with 18 but depending how many amps your pushing through.

Here is a guide note awg 16 for 3 foot or less can take 25-50 amps and awg 18 can take 20-40.

http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm
                  Dont Eat What You Cant Fry

Comment

Right, before i order it, it's silicone 16awg wire i want right? Do i need any heat shrink wrapping? also, saw in some guys setup, his wire was coiled inside the stock tube, looked like a great idea, just wondering, how can i achieve that? Thanks

*mods please delete this, sorry for the double post *

Comment

Right, before i order it, it's silicone 16awg wire i want right? Do i need any heat shrink wrapping? also, saw in some guys setup, his wire was coiled inside the stock tube, looked like a great idea, just wondering, how can i achieve that? Also, is it worth going deans? Or shall i stick with tamiya? Thanks

Comment

Silicone wire is very supple and easy to move about. but i think you will find it hard to spiral it. as it doesnt not hold its shape its so flexable.
                        You would only spiral it to cut down voltage spikes mainly with mosfets.
                        if you cant dont worry.
                        Yes get some heat shrink if your soldering connections.
                        And make sure you look at the wire and make sure the outside size is not too big some silicone wire can be fairly thick.

if you have any old wire around the house have a measure see what fits.

Comment

Outside size wants to be about 2mm for a easy fit but you can fit larger.
                          i managed to fit 3mm in my sopmod but it was very tight

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

joshh1512 Find out more about joshh1512
                          Working...
                          X