Silicone In Mags - A Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone In Mags - A Problem?

Got some midcaps, which are double stacked. A couple seem to have been "sticking" where the double stack is forced into one row at the top.

My solution to this is a drop of silicone oil, gets it all moving nice and free again. Maybe as often as one drop before each skirmish.

Now I just wondered if that would have any nasty side effects, either on the mag itself, or the hopup/barrel as the pellets pass. Inevitably the pellets will contain some reside, especially the first few.

Cheers

Re: Silicone In Mags - A Problem?

That is one of the biggest problems with mid caps, they are two piece, and force against the diagonal stack forces the two apart so that the row is allowed to form and block, aside from that you may want to open it up to check for molding flaws. Silicone oil could help, but you'd have to be careful not to get stuff in there that would clog up the oil and make the problem worse.

I lock the two pieces together (i used super glue) and it works a treat for G&P and MAG mid caps at least.
    For higher ROF guns you can put spacers behind the spring guide to increase the spring tension at the cost of lower capacity.
    dsgdreamteam

Comment

I opened the mag up, looks like it should be as far as I can tell. No obvious notches, or bumps. The ramps seem to be pretty smooth.

I think you might have missed a word somewhere, but is what you're saying is that the two pieces need to be pretty tight in order for them to feed properly?

These are S. Arm ones, and they have 5 screws, so that should do the job there. I;m reluctant to super glue them, as they not cheap. Do you think electrical tape bound tightly would have the same effect?

Comment

Yeah, i found that the majority of mid cap jams occur because the two pieces split apart, its easy to see how the row can form if the walls become wide enough to fit 2 bbs.
        I only used glue because MAG mid caps are cheap and when they do finally die i will bin them anyway. The idea is to keep them from splitting apart, so if you can get the electrical tape wound tight enough it should keep that from happening.
        A little bit of lube on the moving parts will help, but don't go too crazy
        dsgdreamteam

Comment

I'll give that a go then

Cheers for your help as ever!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

jagillham Find out more about jagillham
          Working...
          X