Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing Fit problem m4 sopmod

Right i have a small problem.

Ive fitted my new kanzen synergie bearings . But the bearings stick out of the case on the other side.

Now for 5 of the bearings its not a problem as i see so far . But the bearing sticking out under the selector plate is.

When the selector slides back the bearing makes it push up a little and when i try and fit the gear case back in to the upper body the safe/semi/auto switch catches on the bearing.

Any idea on how to make it stick out less . would it be ok to put a washer on the other side to it doesnt stick out so much ? ( any idea where to get washers as they wll have to be a certain size )

and should i do this for all the bearings

Thanks in adavance

[IMG][/IMG]
    Dont Eat What You Cant Fry

Re: Bearing Fit problem m4 sopmod

reduce the hieght on the underside of the selector plate to clear th bearings

Comment

Well, I don't see why you couldn't use a washer of some sort, just the one will do as you will just need to compensate for it with the removal of shims or maybe even filing the gear itself. DIY one out of an old credit card or something for now so you know the max outer diameter for the washer and look around for the right one after that. TBH I do not see why the credit card shim will not last indefinitely, but I have seen this sort of issue happen to a few gearboxes now, so its by no means unique that it's happened to you. Never so bad that it required intervention from me, but some of the other more experienced techs on here will probably be able to comment on other solutions.

Another option? Just replace those 2 bearings with regular bushings. Not ideal, as I am guessing you prefer bearings, but it will mean you can file them down if the issue appears again.

[Edit] Went to bed at 6am today. Definitely do what he said! /\ [/edit]
      Last edited by Bachelarius; 10 February, 2011, 13:59. Reason: my dumbass comments

Comment

Thanks for replies guys. oo im a poet

I would just shave some off the selector plate . But the bearing hits the safe/semi/auto lever so i cant slip the gearbox back into receiver body.

Ill try and mill a washer spacer thats 9mm x 8mm x 0.05mm to fit in between the bearing and the gearbox . Then use bearing lock to keep it all in place

Richard if you see a problem with this let me know, or anyone else for that matter

Comment

hmm i weary about ding anything which alters the height of that bearing,

threadlock
          press it in

and leave it.

Then make it all fit.

You could get away with reducing the outside hieght of the bearings with out cuasing the bearing to not work. only a fraction though but a fraction maybe enough.

you could remove material from the selector switch as well

i would remove material fro mthe underside of the secltor plate so that moves freely

then remove a fraction of material from the selector switch

then a fraction from the bearing

a little of everything might be enough.

it really shouldnt be that much of a problem, its probably only a slight catch.

Comment

Thanks richard
            I will try that i would feel more easy doing it that way so i know the bearing will always sit square. I have tested it with a small spacer so it is only a fraction i need.

I will let you know how it goes

Comment

Its all done. I seem to have a problem of over engineering things. should look at the simple first.

But i did shave some off the selector plate. and is was able to take alot from the selector lever without touching the bearing.

Thanks Guys

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

mirlock Find out more about mirlock
              Working...
              X