Chewed up pinion gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chewed up pinion gear?

Alright chaps, can someone care to lend me their wisdom?

Whilst I had my G3 apart last night, I noticed the pinion gear ontop the motor isnt looking too healthy! The gear teeth are looking a bit chewed up, it doesnt look too bad and the gun still runs fine, so Im wondering whether somethings going wrong or its just wear and tear? My first thought was that the motor is sitting too low, so the teeth are mashing on the selector gear, but the gears inside the gearbox seem to be in top nick, no signs of damage or wear and everything sounds healthy, no horrible squealing you normally get with a low motor.

Motor is a TM EG700, will try and get some photos to show what I mean better!

Re: Chewed up pinion gear?

I've found they can look a little odd, and often are almost sharp to the touch. But, it does not seem to case an issue!

Comment

Best bet mate

Have the gears out and check to see if the wearing has lowered the height of each tooth on the bevel gear ie if teeth are buffed over

if so replace them and the pinion gear with a CA one or guarder

then reset the motor height before install newly rebuilt motor

Comment

Had a look at the gears, they all seem absolutely fine, no sign of wear or damage, its just the pinion gear looking a bit manky.

Heres a picture, you know what they say about speaking a 1000 words and all that.

Comment

Check the bevel gear again mate as that is motor height trouble and will effect the bevel gear

Replace the pinion gear with a guarder one or CA ones mate

Comment

Will have another look. If its motor height trouble is that caused by being too high or too low? Looks like too low to me but Im not 100% sure.

Ive got a spare G&P 120 motor here anyway, I may just replace the TM EG700 with that as its supposedly a better motor.

Comment

Could be both mate

The looks of it though it's sat too low and just over attempting to mesh hense only top two thirds worn down

Comment

its complicated have you done the shimming your self for the gears or are they standard out of the box?

the motor height adjust should be a fine tune, ie 1mm back and forth, either way the teeth should be touching for the most part.

The bevel gear height is usually more to balme in these situations or pistol grip not allowing a decent movment of the motor.

If the bevels shimmed to low when you push the motor in it will be very tight up against it. If its too high it will be very far away and only the outer fins clip it.

Or its simply a case of the pinion gears time hath come.

Its probably exponential so once wear starts it escallates quickly..

I wish i had a surefire response but truth is bevel gear height setting verses pinion gear is a pain / can be a pain. Often requiring testing, listening for results then adjusting f needed.

Ideally you would shim up, install the pistol grip and set the motor hight and visually look in to see its interaction but its rare for you to be able to see it..

Comment

As far as Im aware the gearbox had never been opened til I changed the spring, should all be totally stock TM, so the shimming ought to be pretty good. I havent touched the shims, left them as they came as Im still not 100% sure about re-shimming gearboxes.

I checked the gears again, they all look fine, its just the pinion gear that seems to be suffering.

Comment

eg: 700 is an old motor probably just a little loose on the motor hieght and its time hath come.

If you fit an new pinion and or a new motor and get the same prob well then youll need to look at shimming.

you wont know untill you get the new motor.

Comment

Righto, well Ill stick the GP 120 in it and see how that goes!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Tiercel Find out more about Tiercel
                      Working...
                      X