X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promo Torque Gears Problem

I have yet another problem.

Just got my new torque promo gears.

But the promblem is the spur gear and the sector gear grind each other.

This only happens where the piston teeth come into contact with the spur gear.

It only happens when i close the gear case. i thought maybe the bearjngs were out of line . but it does not happen with the stock gears.

No matter how high or low i shim them it grind's

I read some place and they say bevel the edges of the gear teeth a little .

Is this wise and do you think it will help.

Its doing my head in been at it for hours. so it has to be something to do with the gears them self.

Anyone had a bad set before that need altering

Thanks
    Dont Eat What You Cant Fry

Re: Promo Torque Gears Problem

Well after close inspection seems the upper and lower teeth on teh sector gear are out of line.

just my luck to get crap of the bunch. So i guess its time to have a grind session on them.

just goes to show some jap crap is just as crap as the chinese crap

Comment

Never had bad promy stuff ..

There's usually some kind of work I have to do when shining a new gear set.

Do one gear at a time, closing the case each time to check figment, then after check fitment against.each other, it's a long tiedious process.

Comment

yeah thats what ive done but cant get past 2nd gear ;/

they just grind . as i spin them with a closed box they stop turning when the piston teeth come in contact with the spur gear.

But as i said their is a very slight offset wher ethey have joined the 2 gears on the sector.

Im sure ill get it sorted just had a hard day scratching my head as i couldnt undertsand

what was going on or see where they were catching

ive had a very small grind to see if it gets easier. Which it does and its almost feels like its something you want to run to wear it in. and let it find its own way

Comment

you should rebuild and test without the tappet plate and cylinder assembly or anti reversal latch, infact just the bearings and gears and the cut offf set to full auto.

spin the gears with the casing closed and tighted with screws, and see if you can hear where its catching..

As a rule i make the sector and spur as low as possible either a 0.1 or 0.2. Then i make the bevel as high as posssible without weakening the join between spur and bevel, to help with motors with oversized pinions.

I use small shims on top of the spur gear, thats important . As is small shims on the underder sized of the bevel and the top and bottom of the sector.

Other than that i try to use the wider ones so i dont run out of small ones too early.

Your loking for:

- Play up and down, and minimising it.
          - Tighteness of the shafts in the bearing holes, you want it tight enough to grip the insides but loose enough to make testing the shimming possible.
          - That its not overly tight when the casings screwed shut, i do this per gear and again at the end with all three installed.
          - hieght of the individual gears verses the next interaciting gear, This can be taken further and how each gear interacts with all other parts

Sector gear, where it contacts the piston, is it even, Also can the piston move freely on return with out interacting with the sector gear. Tappet plate, its important that its not shimed to high to not only avoid the piston issue but also restricting the tappet plate. And last but not least the surface of the sector gear verses the surface of the spur gear. does the sector gear need to be rasied. An nice point below the pistons half teeth but above the spur gear.

Spur gear, you have to check its height with the secotr gear and the bevel, but also make sure the shims your using arnt getting cuaght under the bevel gear due to its proximity. This is hard one to spot so i simply dont use wide shims there any more.

Bevel, hieght again, start high, as high as you dare. And make sure the anti reverse latch gets fit on the right side of the bevel. Luckily theres no much to "mess wrong" with the bevel, since there arnt any surfaces to worry about just teeth.

hmm about it.. maybe a pic of your problem ?

Comment

What gearbox are you working with? V2? TM?
            dsgdreamteam

Comment

Im working with new v2 gearbox

And richard thanks for the reply. Ive ripped it all back to bear case nothing besides gears in place. Its all shimmed perfect and each gear on their own spins nice and free.

But as soon as i put the case on with all the gears in its smooth untill a certain point.
              which is where the piston teeth start to contact the spur gear, Its these which are not set correct the top layer seems to be offset a little.

But ive had a grindand it seems to be better. But ill gibe it another go tomorrow . Jut doing a small amount at a time untill it runs smooth

Ill keep you posted

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

hmm its the way they construct the sector gear two peices put together then pinned in place.

Even on my sets they are ever so slightly out of line, just how they are i think, i guess yours could be a little further out.

Im just trying to picture where its catching, the teeth are always in contact, there should be no starting of anything, other than when the sector gear picks up the piston but for testing youd not have the piston installed.

Double check the cut off levers set to full auto or the gears will "feel" like they are catching as the sector gear lobe bumps the cut off lever.

Comment

Ive not got the cut off lever in. Ony thing thats in is the spur gear and the sector gear.

But where its catching is when the piston teeth come round and contact the spur gear.

Just the one point if i rock it back and forward i can feel it catching. Once past the catch point it will rotate 360 degree's untill the same place again.

But since rubbing it down its alot better. Just must be a good tight fitting gears and the off set just puts it out a little.

But nows its getting better i see the light.

My life is full of problems anything i do never id straight forward but when a jobs completed it feels like a job well done. i like the challange.

I did think maybe the sector or spur was warped . but i place in the lathe and gave them a spin . But they are bang on straight.

I also thought it may be the kanzen bearings but i slapped the stoke ones in and they did the same. So ive been round the houses

Thanks for your concern richard and help ill get it whipped tomorrow now i know what im doing . ( i hope )

Comment

some gears you do have to do the odd bit of sanding to get it really smooth..

just wanted to rule out any other simple things.

Welcome to the world of working on airsoft guns..

I cant think of a single gun i havent had to do something on like this when fitting parts... its never as simple as dropping it straight in, even though it should be.. If its easy your not doing it right

Comment

Obviously, I don't do it right then.....

Cant think of one box where Ive had to grind gear sets, other than he removal of teeth kind. I have however had to grind casings to allow gears to rotate freely.

Have you laid the two halves of the gear box case on top of each other to check the holes line up with out bushings/ bearings?
                      Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

Its not common but can happen, especially when mix matching gears and cuts, adjusting the holes would be 10 times more problematic as a tight fit on the bushings or bearings are paramount.

Your telling me youve never had to sand something to get it to fit, or slightly adjust a gb casing, or grind a pin or sand piston, adjust AOE, cut a second tooth down for instance or whatever to get a part to fit...

If you havent then youve not worked on enough.. It absolutly happens all the time, my dremel is my best friend.. we have conversations about the weather..

Comment

Originally posted by richardy View Post
                          Your telling me youve never had to sand something to get it to fit, or slightly adjust a gb casing, or grind a pin or sand piston, adjust AOE, cut a second tooth down for instance or whatever to get a part to fit...

If you havent then youve not worked on enough.. It absolutly happens all the time, my dremel is my best friend.. we have conversations about the weather..
                          All the time...
                          Gun tech.

Comment

Just to let you know its all fixed.

Runs smooth as silk with a nice crisp sound. Runs 310-315 FPS on 0.25g
                            Will test it later today with some 0.20g hoping for about 330-350 FPS

Comment

What did it turn out to be?
                              Gun tech.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

mirlock Find out more about mirlock
                              Working...
                              X