Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ics m4 upgrade, is this ok?

Right then...

Looking to upgrade my ics m4, and here is the list i have come up with.

- systema silent head set v2
    - systema area 1000 poly piston
    - systema area 1000 spring guide v2
    - systema area 1000 tappet plate
    - systema area 1000 teflon cylinder
    - systema shim set
    - prometheus selector plate
    - madbull blue bucking
    - prometheus eg 363mm barrel
    - ics m4 anti-reversal latch
    - systema air nozzle

Also, is it worth getting new bushings, or are the current one's fine?

Please tell me if any parts are unnecessary, and if there is a better part than the specific one i have chosen, oh and also if it will not be compatible with my ics split v2 gearbox

I am looking to have a long range setup, with good accuracy, and a good RoF. fps is not a problem, i currently own the stock ics m100, also looking for a fairley quiet setup, it's quite loud at the minute, will possibly using a 11.1v lipo.

thanks for any help

Re: ics m4 upgrade, is this ok?

Looks fine mate, they will all work in your ics.

Bearing wise, how old is the rifle? It might be worth getting new bearings if it is quite old, but if it isn't broke... Don't fix it! I would have thought ics would have shimmed their gears ok so it would mean you wouldn't have to spend hours shimming it right.

Noise wise, ics are generally quite loud and whiney, partly the whine is from the motor so you could always swap that round.

Not a lot you could do about the rest as it is a split gearbox it is bound to make more noise that your average closed gearbox design.

Hope this helps.
    How to deal with cheats.......

Originally posted by cactus
    Put them in an empty room, chuck a few dynatecs in there with them.
    And then just spray them with a vulcan, that'll teach them how to behave..

Comment

Any problems with the existing set up?

Out of all that (except to replace something broken) I'd get...

- systema silent head set v2 (Any ported polymer piston head would do)
      - systema area 1000 poly piston (TM piston is a better choice)
      - systema area 1000 spring guide v2 (No need unless current one is broken)
      - systema area 1000 tappet plate (No need unless current one is broken)
      - systema area 1000 teflon cylinder (No need unless current one is broken)
      - systema shim set (No need unless current one is broken)
      - prometheus selector plate (No need unless current one is broken)
      - madbull blue bucking (Seems good to me!)
      - prometheus eg 363mm barrel (Good choice)
      - ics m4 anti-reversal latch (I take it this is the existing one?)
      - systema air nozzle (No need unless current one is broken)

Comment

I guess jag, you will simply save me alot, i guess the word 'systema' makes you think, oh, that's gonna be great...

Anyway, need a new anti-reversal latch since my m4 keeps making a 'clunking' noise, gonna take her apart first though to make sure it's not just put in wrong, how will i know if it is 'broken'?

Oh, also i am looking to make my m4 into an 'sd' style, (silencer in ris) So i think i will need a shorter barrel, what size do you suggest, (size doesnt affect range/accuracy right?) and will i need to change the cylinder, for example will an mp5 barrel fit in my m4? thanks

Comment

How do you mean clunking sound ? the ics should ( when the top is open ) make a clicking sound as you will see the top of the AR jumping
          Please do not advertise on this forum

Comment

I was told that only ICS parts would be compatible with ICS guns. Dont know if its true as ive never tried anything other than ICS parts but it may be worth your while searching and asking someone who has upgraded one before you buy.

Comment

No, compatibility is issues with the externals, I am sure of that, inside should be fine, apart from one or two parts, the AR latch being one.
              As for the 'clunking' sound, it's really hard to explain, but it's not normal i am telling you that, it wasn't like when i got the gun, it's since i took her apart for a re-wire. Although, I have a feeling it could be something to do with the motor, because i have adjusted the motor height, and the noise occurs less, if not never now, but i really don't think the motor should be as high up as it is now, it makes a pretty high pitched sound, also the trigger locks up on semi occasionally when the motor is at the height it is now, when i get my mosfet, im gonna check it out.

Comment

Right, the SD m4 barrel size will be 319mm, closest size i can find is 300mm, which will do me fine, but, i can only find the prommy version of it from Japan, would it be worth just getting a madbull one for 30quid from the UK? Or still going for the prommy? Thanks

Comment

Just my opinion:

- systema silent head set v2 / Cost only lots of money and don't really works fine! You can use the second version of element silent set for V2
                  - systema area 1000 poly piston / It is made with soft materials! If you want one piston harder the Green SRC is one of the best!
                  - systema area 1000 spring guide v2 / Don't need to change it
                  - systema area 1000 tappet plate / Don't need to change it
                  - systema area 1000 teflon cylinder / It is good
                  - systema shim set / It is good
                  - prometheus selector plate / Don't need to change
                  - madbull blue bucking / It is good up to 350 fps
                  - prometheus eg 363mm barrel / It is good
                  - ics m4 anti-reversal latch / Don't need to change
                  - systema air nozzle / Don't need to change

http://www.lsu-airsoft.co.uk

Comment

Hardness was and still is the issue with SystemA Pistons, they are far too brittle!

With the stock mainspring, id advise going for a TM Piston.

If you want the Systema Silent head set, take the o-ring off of the TM piston head and fit it to the set, the ones supplied with the Systema Aero sets ones aren't all that great, like with a bore-up set you won't see the best of that Systema o-ring with the lower spring rates.

For bushings, check them. Some were supplied with either Nylon or Copper bushings, if you have either then yes swap them out. Otherwise they will give you eexpensive problems in the future, particularly if you have plans to run the 11.1v LiPO, and on that note be aware that if you do so, you should up the spring rate aswell in order to keep the Piston assembly in time.

For the Cylinder not really needed but if you do, be sure to get at least 4/5 port, or Systema Type 1.

Hop Bucking, for those easily available. Systema or TM.
                    Last edited by sj_asc; 17 February, 2011, 23:42. Reason: Missed something
                    dsgdreamteam

Comment

How will i know which bushings i have? How easy is it to install new ones? Surely if i up the spring, and have a 6.03 in it, the fps is going to be far too high? As for the cylinder, do i need a different size if using a 300mm barrel? I think i may as well keep it all the same for now, i guess it is running fine, so until it really need the gbox changing i'll do it all then, though i will consider new bushings.

Comment

Check the lower GB, you will be able to see the bushings from there. It will be obvious if they are copper or plastic. If you got a "Pre upgraded" version then you may already have steel bushings fitted, in which case you wouldn't need to change them out. Do check to be sure though.
                        Fitting the bushings is simple enough, but under almost all circumstances you should re-shim the gears as aftermarket bushings often have different flange sizes and may not sit at the exactly the same height.

Cylinder to Barrel.
                        Did you have the original length M4? and are/planning to use a shorter inner barrel?

Do you have chrono results? The tighter barrel should add too much FPS.
                        dsgdreamteam

Comment

I am converting my m4 into an 'SD' style, the barrel length for sd m4's is 319mm, closest i can find is 300mm for an m733/m1a1/mc51. This will fit right? It chrono's at 360ish, which will go up a fair bit with a 6.03, which spring do you recommend?

Comment

Should do, the normal aftermarket full M4 length barrels are 363mm. If you are making a shorty then I guess it would be down to the outer barrel dimentions of the new front end.
                            If your current inner barrel is 319mm, then stick with the stock cylinder or if you want the aftermarket part, go ahead and get the Systema 4/5

Spring rate, given that you have the ICS box, id chrono it after the other prts have been fitted, see where you're at. The spring change will be easiy enough if the current one is too hot.
                            I would normally suggest a Guarder SP90 as that normally pumps close to 340fps w/.20g in a stock TM gun (6.08mm IB). Guarders SP100 will be far too hot.
                            dsgdreamteam

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

joshh1512 Find out more about joshh1512
                            Working...
                            X