Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery issues

i can currently having issues with a 9.6 V 3300mah battery

after a charge it won#t turn the motor , when checking the voltage its 9.2 volts untill the trigger is pressed then it drops to 0 volts then slowly raises back up to 9.2 volts

another battery turns the gun fine.. is it a dead battery or something else.

also on a side note how long shoul di be charging the 3300mah batter for on a 3 amp charger,i worked it out as about 2 hours ...many thanks
    The Airsoft Knowledge Base Project is where we will be building up information, guides, fixes and other Airsoft knowledge.

Re: Battery issues

3amp charge

thats why , yhou have killed the battery

the nimh and nicd never meant to be charged at a higher rate then 1.1amps EVER

new battery

Comment

thank you so how long to charge at 1 amp

to my workings about 4 hours ?

on the charger it says the following -

1.5a = 450 - 600mah
      3A = 1000- 1200mah
      and 4.5A = 1400mah +

that confused me , also what the differnets between a fast charge mode and a slow one?
      The Airsoft Knowledge Base Project is where we will be building up information, guides, fixes and other Airsoft knowledge.

Comment

You are charging it correctly. I worked it out to take about 1hr 40mins.
        But my batteries never follow the formula!

It sounds like the battery is dead. Thankfully it doesn't sound like your gun.

when you say it drops to 0v then rises back up to 9.6??
        If it's doing that, it sounds like there's a resistance error. Your battery has a natural internal resistance, but it sounds like the resistance is too high for the battery, to begin with.

Either that or you've fried the battery, because 1 hr 40 mins is a very fast charge.

When you use the battery, do the connector wires get hot?? Heat is a sign of resistance, if they get more than warm (a lot of battery connectors get warm) then there's a problem.
        Also, is there an active fuse in your gun? This could see if your battery is discharging energy in surges rather than streams.

Give us some more symptoms

Oh, and it's well worth investing in a smart charger (or similar) to charge your batts safely and avoid under/over charging.

GP.
        sigpic

Comment

you never charge over 1.1 amps other wise you will kill the cells very fast,

lipos are fine at 2.2 amps as they are designed for power handling and storage, plus the burst delivery,

the symptoms are the battery pack says charged on mulitmeter, but doesn't turn gun over,

answer because cells are loosing power so fast they cant provide enough to turn the motor over

oh for reference also spend £35 on a good charger that stops the charge when its full

Comment

no the battery or the connector is not getting warm.

and it fires fine on the other (newer) battery,

could you guys recomend the a good smart charger

this is what i have at the mo.

Comment

Varipluse 2500 or iMax B6

Comment

depends how lazy you are.

Mine cost me about £10 from a guy on here, but I have to watch it to change colour from red to green (charging to full).

Some brand new can cost £50+ but they'll have multiple battery attachments and able to switch them selves off when the battery is full.

I heard an imax B6 smart charger is good......... try googling it. :p

Seeing your charger, keep it on "LOW" :p
                sigpic

Comment

sounds like the pack has a faulty cell.
                  nimh/ nicad or lipo batteries can be charged up to 1c max, except some special lipo cells that can go as high as 3c.
                  3300 at 3.3a =1hr (1c) fast charge and is fine on a good quality charger ,but the crappy freebee wall chargers shouldnt be used at all.
                  but if you have the time charge at a lower rate to preserve battery life as overheating a vented battery can cause the cell to dry out.
                  the lipo mentioned above could only be charged at 2.2a if it was a 2200mah rated cell
                  Last edited by screwdriver; 1 April, 2011, 21:38.
                  m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

I have this charger:

I went and purchased 2 x 1500mAh batteries from phoenix airsoft shop at mansfield, the guy in there says charge it on 2A.. I'm having lots of issues with batteries too.

My M4 was lasting less than a hi cap mag on a battery. The motor would just seem to get stuck and turned over extremely slowly before getting stuck.

Funny thing is is that I put the same batteries in a TM P90 and it span over like nobodies business...

Since then, I have replaced the motor in my M4 (SRC) - without recharging since last charge, one battery ran down quickly (less than a mag) and the other seems to fire the gun quickly constantly.

I noticed some difference though when untightening the motor from the handle and adjusting the depth of the motor into the gearbox.
                    I still don't know if I have a knackered battery or another issue with my gun.

I suspect that one of my batteries are buggered as I have followed incorrect advice from numerous websites as regards charging rates.

All of this hassle makes me thankful of my springer Bar10

Being quite new to airsoft though I do find the learning and stipping guns etc appealing.

Hopefully though, my battery woe's might be resolved as it is starting to become a bit of a bind.

I have the following batteries:
                    VP Ni-Mh 8.4v 1600mAh, VP Ni-Mh 8.4v 1500mAh, and a Sanyo Cadnica extra Nickel Cadmium 600mAh.

Hope I haven't fried too many batteries before I get my head around batteries and charging rates/times.
                    LIKE AIRSOFTKB ON FACEBOOK!

Comment

I would say that your battery is toasted

You can charge a 3300 pack at 3.3 amps for ~80 mins BUT ONLY if it was completely discharged before you started. If the cell was more than 50% charged when you started then 2 hours at 3 amps would cook it

Never charge a NiMh or NiMh at more than 100% of its capacity ever. Fast "1hour" charging of NiCads and NiMh is possible BUT only with a smart Delta V detect charger that cuts off the current at full charge. Fast charging can make your cells very hot which can lead to premature end of life fail. I only fastcharge when I have to as I normally charge at 30-40%.

It doesn't matter if you use NiCad, NiMh or LiPos you need to get a smart charger. It will pay for itsself quickly. Your batteries will last for more charge cycles and will last longer in the field

Comment

This is all good advice, I only paid 25 quid for my charger (pic above) is it a smart charger? When I charge it quick charges then goes to a green led saying charged/trickle.
                        Should this have protected my batteries or is this charger crap and need replacing?
                        LIKE AIRSOFTKB ON FACEBOOK!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

G33m4N Find out more about G33m4N
                        Working...
                        X