Clipping springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipping springs

Ive recently bought a G&G GR16 combat machine blowback AEG and ive attempted to go airsofting with it twice and both times its chronoed to high by about 16fps. I want to clip the spring but could do with som advice of how. how you get the gearbox out as well to acsess the spring would be useful to know. There is probably loads of posts about this but being new to airsofting in genral any advice or directions would be much appreciated.
    Talking to yourself is fine, its when you talk to yourself, argue with yourself and then refuse to talk to yourself that you need to worry.

Re: Clipping springs

being new to airsoft i would advise you to pay for it to be done by a pro, ive had a gr16 gearbox apart and because of the blowback and anti reversal latch release they are more complex than other standard v2 boxes. You will only end up doing more damge than good mate.
    sigpic

Comment

i would love to but im only after the spring and i dont have 35 quid to spend on the pros
      Talking to yourself is fine, its when you talk to yourself, argue with yourself and then refuse to talk to yourself that you need to worry.

Comment

You say you don't have the money for a professional but do you have the money for a new gearbox if you break it

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Comment

If it's new it may drop with use.

Put a fair few hundred BB's through it, you might possibly find the FPS has dropped.
          WANTED: Dynatec BFG.

Comment

Hey mate I started out in the same way you are. BE VERY CAREFUL though or you'll be back on here asking how to replace a broken such and such. Nothing on any airsoft gun should require you to stress and strain you may have left a screw in etc.

The best bet for stripping it is to search for a guide on youtube/google. If you can't find your exact model then look for a similar one of the same brand and system ie blowback.

As for doing the spring you need to take the ratio of required fps and current fps and then cut the correct number of coils. For example.

If you were at 100fps and you wanted 80fps then the ratio is 4/5. So you need to remove 1/5. So if your spring has 10 coils remove 2. If your gun is new go slightly above as the gun will bed in slightly as seals begin to wear and spring is held under tension. If you have a multicoil spring forget coils and go for length but leave a little extra. To take 16 fps off will probably be only one coil at most.

Also try putting your hop fully on when you chrono sometimes that reduces fps slightly. This only works on some guns. Works on my G3 but not on my Masada. Someone will probably kick off on here saying its not fair etc. Another way to ensure spring life is to always fire your last shot on semi auto to allow the piston forward. sometimes on full auto it will stop in a random position and leave the spring compressed. Do this before you disassemble as well to stop the spring guide leaving a hole in your wall when you open the gbox.

Good Luck

Dave

Comment

If it's only above by 16 fps I'd only recommend only cutting off half a coil and see how you go.

What you could also try is leaving your gun in a compressed state for a few days

Comment

But also be aware that if you clip half a coil off. You should re ground the end and where possible grind it too.

Then if the half a coil isnt enough you are back inside to do it again....possibly again....

Could take a good while you may be better to buy a spring you know will take you to less than your site fps level and fit that.
                Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

Bevvie - different springs have different strengths and tensions, and although on paper you're correct, it's not always how it is.

Leaving gun compressed is another option, although its only something I'd do in an emergency.

The general rule is 10fps = 1 coil, on paper, but if I were you, I'd clip the spring and put it all back together, test FPS and disassemble and clip again if required.

But you're new to airsoft, and probably don't have a chrono (something, by the way, every airsofter should have. They're £35 or something; hell, a brand new TM Magazine can cost that). I'd give it to the pro's in your shoes, as they will have the chrono and experience to sort it out.

Edit - Midas - Cybergun (A&K Licensed model) M4 firing 390 - 400fps. I think "Okay, M100 jobby". As you would. No, that was doing 375 ish. Good airseal between nozzle and hop much? Think it was an M95 I popped in to get it sorted, lol, and was 345 then!

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Right thanks for everyones help and i realy do appreciate it but after looking at a vid of how to dissasemble it i realised that i wasnt even going to look at it funny let alon try to dismantle it. So i tryed putting some rounds through it but seeing as the parents dont want bb's everywhere i taped a pair of thick walking socks over the end of the muzzle. result some what saint like socks (holy) so changing tactic i decided to fire into a bottle stuffed full of rags also siant like bottle. so now im firing into a bucket of water in an effort to bring the fps down. This seems to be working best so far. once again thanks for all the advice for the newbie

Comment

Why don't you dry-fire to bed the spring in? Or leave the gun in a compressed state as its your last resort?

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Its fine now thanks mate, but yeah ive dry fired it plenty after i got bored of getting wet

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mavrik Find out more about Mavrik
                        Working...
                        X